Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arians takes Stanton & Powers

throwing BBZ

Good for Stanton & Powers.

We basically traded Arians, Stanton, and Powers, for Toler.

That's a curious assessment.  Arians we lost because he got a promotion, nothing we could do there.  Stanton basically got a promotion and a raise that we can't match, nothing we could do there.  Not sure of the details on Powers' contract, but we did swap CBs, so I could see this.

All in all, Stanton was not someone we were likely to keep.  He wants a shot to start, and we won't have that behind Luck.

That's a curious assessment.  Arians we lost because he got a promotion, nothing we could do there.  Stanton basically got a promotion and a raise that we can't match, nothing we could do there.  Not sure of the details on Powers' contract, but we did swap CBs, so I could see this.

All in all, Stanton was not someone we were likely to keep.  He wants a shot to start, and we won't have that behind Luck.

And it makes sense that Arians would take a guy from his system over to Arizona.

I don't think Stanton will start, but I think if they don't draft a QB high, then he could be one of the eventual starters.

And it makes sense that Arians would take a guy from his system over to Arizona.

I don't think Stanton will start, but I think if they don't draft a QB high, then he could be one of the eventual starters.

Precisely.  He's already got a year in the system.  i think he has a better shot to start than most, so long as they don't draft one too high.  He has talent, he's just always been behind #1 overall picks.  I think he's a far better option than Weeden, and he's younger to boot.  (I bring up Weeden because he was a 1st round selection, and Stanton has more NFL experience and comes with a lesser price tag.)

Precisely.  He's already got a year in the system.  i think he has a better shot to start than most, so long as they don't draft one too high.  He has talent, he's just always been behind #1 overall picks.  I think he's a far better option than Weeden, and he's younger to boot.  (I bring up Weeden because he was a 1st round selection, and Stanton has more NFL experience and comes with a lesser price tag.)

I think the knock on Stanton was that he was with bad teams and doesn't have a "wow" arm.

The guy is mobile and has a solid arm, but never got a good enough chance to be successful. 

I definitely believe that he is better than Weeden, and Weeden should have never been a first round pick.

I think the knock on Stanton was that he was with bad teams and doesn't have a "wow" arm.

The guy is mobile and has a solid arm, but never got a good enough chance to be successful. 

I definitely believe that he is better than Weeden, and Weeden should have never been a first round pick.

I 100% agree on Weeden not being a 1st rounder.  I was scratching my head there, as pretty much all 1st round QBs are young with potential and room to grow.  Weeden is mostly a finished product, and while he had successes, his potential was limited by age.

As for Stanton, I think he can make most throws he needs to.  Not a wow arm, but good enough.  I really hope he gets a shot there.

I 100% agree on Weeden not being a 1st rounder.  I was scratching my head there, as pretty much all 1st round QBs are young with potential and room to grow.  Weeden is mostly a finished product, and while he had successes, his potential was limited by age.

As for Stanton, I think he can make most throws he needs to.  Not a wow arm, but good enough.  I really hope he gets a shot there.

As one columnist in Cleveland said," Oh i see, only in Cleveland." Cleveland has made bad QB decisions after bad QB decisions.

They haven't had a decent QB since Bernie Kosar in the 80s.

And I hope he does too, he deserves more of a shot than anybody else in Arizona right now.