Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns are closing in on Krueger?.. Wat?.. Per roto

I don't want Freeney, but my concerns are the same as yours. Not convinced Avril will be good in a 3-4 because his run defense is terrible. I hope he proves me wrong if we end up signing him.

At his size he might be better off standing up instead of lining up right of the LT which might help vs the run...I dunno. If you just looked at size/length/athleticism, Avril would seem better suited at OLB than Kruger IMO.

They  can have him will be just fine with Hughes and Mathis.

We had Hughes and Mathis this past year as well as Freeny, and our pass rush was below average (being nice).  No way we can go into the next season, losing Freeney, and not adding anyone else to help with the pass rush.  I've said it before in other threads, but i personally hope we get an OLB in FA and get another one in the middle rounds of the draft.  As the Giants have proven, you can never have too many pass rushers.  If we get Avril and someone like Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd round to go along with Mathis and Hughes (and maybe Killeen turns into something) then we could have our own Nascar package...though I hope we call it something different. lol

I like Avril. He's a Boilermaker. But id rather not sign him to a huge deal and patch up the offensive line first and foremost.

Signing Avril would have no effect on our ability to sign offensive linemen.  We shouldn't go after one position first, we need to hit every position right from the start.  If we only go after offensive linemen first, then the quality pass rushers, CB's, safeties, etc could be signed by other teams.  There's no reason we can't address multiple positions at the same time so long as we budget for each position and stick to that budget, which I'm sure Grigson will do.

I think we HAVE to go O-line with our first signing. Vasquez preferably.

Why?  Why does it matter what position our first FA signing is?  As long as we address every position then who cares what order they're signed in?

Why?  Why does it matter what position our first FA signing is?  As long as we address every position then who cares what order they're signed in?

I suppose it doesn't matter what order they're signed. I was just looking at O-line being the biggest need.

We had Hughes and Mathis this past year as well as Freeny, and our pass rush was below average (being nice).  No way we can go into the next season, losing Freeney, and not adding anyone else to help with the pass rush.  I've said it before in other threads, but i personally hope we get an OLB in FA and get another one in the middle rounds of the draft.  As the Giants have proven, you can never have too many pass rushers.  If we get Avril and someone like Brandon Jenkins in the 3rd round to go along with Mathis and Hughes (and maybe Killeen turns into something) then we could have our own Nascar package...though I hope we call it something different. lol

It was below average because our interior couldn't get any push. When Justin Smith was injured Aldon Smith didn't sack anyone in those three games. We need a guy like Sylvester Williams or Kawann Short then both Hughes and Mathis will do great.

It was below average because our interior couldn't get any push. When Justin Smith was injured Aldon Smith didn't sack anyone in those three games. We need a guy like Sylvester Williams or Kawann Short then both Hughes and Mathis will do great.

In passing situations, the Colts typically go to a 4 man front.  In their primes, Freeney and Mathis never really had a strong interior push either but were still able to get much better sack numbers than we saw last year.  I'm not saying that the interior of the DL doesn't also need to be addressed, but we definitely need at least one new OLB/DE pass rusher as well.  The fact that the Colts have been linked to both Kruger and Avril makes me think the Colts front office feels the same way. :)

Avril has prior experience standing up as a hybrid de/olb, I just watched some film of him in Detroit last year and he was effective doing it, I dont see him being real solid against the run but thats not what he would be brought in for, Bottom line for me, use the draft of a 3-4/4-3 OLB/DE and let Hughes prove himself over the course of a full season starting, he can do both

This is kind of reminiscent of what happened with Houston a few years back. They lost the bidding war for Nnamdi Asomugha, then just turned around and signed Jonathan Joseph to a reasonable contract, and then also signed Danieal Manning with the savings. Both had pretty good years, while Nnamdi just sucked.

Bottom line: don't overpay for free agents. Leave that to the Eagles and Browns of the world.

Signing Avril would have no effect on our ability to sign offensive linemen.  We shouldn't go after one position first, we need to hit every position right from the start.  If we only go after offensive linemen first, then the quality pass rushers, CB's, safeties, etc could be signed by other teams.  There's no reason we can't address multiple positions at the same time so long as we budget for each position and stick to that budget, which I'm sure Grigson will do.

It does affect out ability to sign multiple offensive lineman if he demands a huge contract. My point was that I would like to bring in multiple starting offensive lineman. We can still get Vazquez and Avril, no doubt, but I'd rather land Vasquez and Vollmer and then address OLB with a cheaper FA/draft pick. I wasn't questioning the order of the signings.

This is kind of reminiscent of what happened with Houston a few years back. They lost the bidding war for Nnamdi Asomugha, then just turned around and signed Jonathan Joseph to a reasonable contract, and then also signed Danieal Manning with the savings. Both had pretty good years, while Nnamdi just sucked.

Bottom line: don't overpay for free agents. Leave that to the Eagles and Browns of the world.

You can also name off several big Free Agent signings that have worked out so all of you guys really need to stop acting like every guy that ask for top $ is gonna be a bust. Kruger would be amazing here, stop kidding yourself. You guys all saying Kruger hasnt proved much lol well he got 4 1/2 sacks just in the playoffs alone, let me guess was that a fluke? keep saying he wouldnt of got it without being in baltimore without suggs and co. but im pretty sure that goes with any player right? take key players away n all the focus will go on the best player away to lock him down....i mean whats robert mathis? Jerrell Freeman. the guy would have help here and we have plenty of money to sign players on DLine and the draft is right around the corner to help him out...stop being such negative nancies and saying that every single player is bad for this team. yeah lets rely on Jerry Hughes or lets sign a 4/3 defensive end who hasnt played LB since college over a 6'4" 250lb Kruger that just won a superbowl and displayed his amazing motor...yall are crazy.

You can also name off several big Free Agent signings that have worked out so all of you guys really need to stop acting like every guy that ask for top $ is gonna be a bust. Kruger would be amazing here, stop kidding yourself. You guys all saying Kruger hasnt proved much lol well he got 4 1/2 sacks just in the playoffs alone, let me guess was that a fluke? keep saying he wouldnt of got it without being in baltimore without suggs and co. but im pretty sure that goes with any player right? take key players away n all the focus will go on the best player away to lock him down....i mean whats robert mathis? Jerrell Freeman. the guy would have help here and we have plenty of money to sign players on DLine and the draft is right around the corner to help him out...stop being such negative nancies and saying that every single player is bad for this team. yeah lets rely on Jerry Hughes or lets sign a 4/3 defensive end who hasnt played LB since college over a 6'4" 250lb Kruger that just won a superbowl and displayed his amazing motor...yall are crazy.

No one said not to try and sign Kruger. I sure as heck didn't. But I wouldn't pay $12+ million for him. That's just asinine... Especially when there are a billion other spots that need filled on the team.

Overpaying for free agents is a surefire track to salary cap hell. Pay them what they're worth and not much more.

No one said not to try and sign Kruger. I sure as heck didn't. But I wouldn't pay $12+ million for him. That's just asinine... Especially when there are a billion other spots that need filled on the team.

Overpaying for free agents is a surefire track to salary cap heck. Pay them what they're worth and not much more.

Plenty of people have said on this forum to not sign Kruger some becuase of his asking price but the majority becuase they question wether last season was just a fluke or what. Whatever you do during the playoffs especially starting off in the wildcard is no fluke to me. If he plays anything like that here then he is deff worth his asking price no questions asked. Pagano knows him better then anyone and what hes capable of so im sure if we sign him then we have nothing to worry about. And guy you gotta realize just like the rest of the guys on this forum we have plenty of money, we have enough to sign several guys. we dont just have to settle for one player. Were not in the Polian days anymore we have money to spend so get out of ur shell.

Overpaying for free agents is a surefire track to salary cap heck. Pay them what they're worth and not much more.

12 mil tho i agree is too much let the Browns have that...tho i believe he'll be worth it i know that his contract would cause issues for our future offensive stars such as TY Fleener Luck and co. i would deff take kruger for 10 mil tho and not even think twice about it

Ill just say that I'm trusting Grigs, Irsay and Pagono. They have watched bunches more film and complete game films at that than any of us. They know exactly what to look for, we only have good ideas and somewhat of an understanding. They know and understand everything down to small little things we probably don't even pay attention to or know about. Bottom line I trust much more in there choices and knowledge over mine. I'm pretty sure they will go about things smartly.