Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Thoughts on Chip Kelly...

bap1331

Heath Evans was not sold on this hire and I'm still a little iffy.  The spread isn't as successful in the pros as it is in college.  You have teams that can defend it better, defenders that are better conditioned and better prepared, coaches that can counter it better, etc.  And with the spread, there is usually a poor running game because there are usually only 5 offensive linemen in to block.  Not only that, but I think Heath also said Kelly's offense had been stopped a few times last season.  Philly's offense was bad last year because:

1) they couldn't protect their QB

2) Vick loves turnovers

3) they didn't give McCoy the ball enough

I think Chip will give McCoy the ball more, but I'm still not sold on Vick and that offensive line.  Plus, don't forget how bad their defense was.

Kelly had it made at Oregon, great recruits, great team year in and year out. His innovative,  fast paced offense gave everyone headaches. That style will not translate into the NFL. He has no prior NFL experience,and is coming into a mess in Philly. IMO, Kelly is a great Collegiate coach, but I don't think he'll do well in the pros..

Kelly had it made at Oregon, great recruits, great team year in and year out. His innovative,  fast paced offense gave everyone headaches. That style will not translate into the NFL. He has no prior NFL experience,and is coming into a mess in Philly. IMO, Kelly is a great Collegiate coach, but I don't think he'll do well in the pros..

No NFL experience...This glaring shortcoming will be his fatal flaw. 1-800-train-wreck. Both the NY Jets & the Philadelphia Eagles may be green in team colors, but they will certainly not be money this year IMO. 

Icon?  I'd like to see where BB stated that....

BB wanted to learn / see how Oregon gets off so many plays so fast is basically why he is so interested in Oregon's O.

the fact that hes an icon to Bill Belicheck makes me wonder how successful he will be in the NFL.

Why would an NFL coach go to a college coach to learn strategies????

I think they have potential to be a dangerous team...what do you think?

the fact that hes an icon to Bill Belicheck makes me wonder how successful he will be in the NFL.

Why would an NFL coach go to a college coach to learn strategies????

I think they have potential to be a dangerous team...what do you think?

Happens all the time in the football coaching fraternity.  If you're good at what you do you're going to want to pick the brains of other coaches to get a different perspective and possibly be able to incorporate a few new ideas into what you do.  It's just one way the game continues to evolve.

Kelly is well regarded by a lot of NFL coaches which makes me think he actually has a chance to succeed despite my natural inclinations when it comes to college coaches.  That said, I think it takes him a little while to get things going in Philadelphia.

I think this has the potential to be a disaster for Kelly and the Eagles. I just can't believe in his offense for the pro game. I'm also not sure the players will buy into it, and that would be a bad sign from the beginning.

Going from college to the pros can be a disaster for any coach.  I think Kelly will be fine. He knows what he's doing.  If the players don't buy into his system, he will just find players who will.