Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Over valueing mid to late round draft picks

I have noticed on this board how some posters are really placing too much value on mid to late round picks. I noticed on at least one mock where a kicker was mocked in the 7th round and the poster got slammed for it. On others, some really athletic LB's have been mocked who might not fit the system perfectly and they to have been slammed. For the most part, picks in rounds 5-7 (especially 6-7) are guys who hardly ever really make an impact (many don't even make team). Yes, there are super stars drafted in these rounds. I do know that. Mostly though, these guys will be at best special teams players and maybe could provide some situational depth. Somebody posted an article last season showing what you can expect for a player drafted in a certain round. It was really well done and people could really learn from it. After all, our draft last year was rated very well and none of the 7th rounders even made the final roster.

The draft Guru`s Love the stop watch and overall athleticism.

And they highly value the player production seen on tape.

At some point these lines cross, perhaps that line usually comes by round 6?

By then you start seeing Most, not all, players short in both areas.

Hunger, Focus, Intelligence, Luck & Opportunity then break down the door.

As we watch the Hayworth Hicks of the world pass on by.

I'm sure we've all been a bit spoiled -- and I include myself in the mix.    Grigson did such an amazing job with his first draft.

He found Ballard, Chapman and Brazil with his 5th and 6th round picks.   3 for 3.    Not too bad.

There's no reason not to project all the way out to the last pick...   as long as everyone realizes that the chances of being that successful again with all the late picks is not very high.    

Still....   hope is a diehard fans best friend!      :thmup:

I'm sure we've all been a bit spoiled -- and I include myself in the mix.    Grigson did such an amazing job with his first draft.

He found Ballard, Chapman and Brazil with his 5th and 6th round picks.   3 for 3.    Not too bad.

There's no reason not to project all the way out to the last pick...   as long as everyone realizes that the chances of being that successful again with all the late picks is not very high.    

Still....   hope is a diehard fans best friend!      :thmup:

I would say 2 for 3. Chapman hasnt played a down yet, so there is no telling how good he will be on the NFL level.

me for instance, i have been said to over value Sean Porter out of TAMU. he had 66 tackles as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. good run stopper, athletic, good speed (4.65 40 time). he is 6-2 230 LBS, so some say he is to small, but mathis is 6'2 245lbs only 15 lbs more then Porter. Porter can easily put on that 15 LBS before pre season. he is all over the field, and in on just about every play. I think he would be a good pick for us in the 3rd round, to take the spot of Dwight Freeney. he is projected as a late 2nd rounder to mid to late 3rd round pick. and with the possibility of getting compensation picks for Manning and Clark (either its a 4th and 5th round or 5th and 6th round i cant remember) it really wouldnt hurt to draft porter in the 3rd round.

The draft Guru`s Love the stop watch and overall athleticism.

And they highly value the player production seen on tape.

At some point these lines cross, perhaps that line usually comes by round 6?

By then you start seeing Most, not all, players short in both areas.

Hunger, Focus, Intelligence, Luck & Opportunity then break down the door.

As we watch the Hayworth Hicks of the world pass on by.

normally I disagree with you, but this is some beat poetry... right on... like linkus maaaan..

me for instance, i have been said to over value Sean Porter out of TAMU. he had 66 tackles as an OLB in a 3-4 scheme. good run stopper, athletic, good speed (4.65 40 time). he is 6-2 230 LBS, so some say he is to small, but mathis is 6'2 245lbs only 15 lbs more then Porter. Porter can easily put on that 15 LBS before pre season. he is all over the field, and in on just about every play. I think he would be a good pick for us in the 3rd round, to take the spot of Dwight Freeney. he is projected as a late 2nd rounder to mid to late 3rd round pick. and with the possibility of getting compensation picks for Manning and Clark (either its a 4th and 5th round or 5th and 6th round i cant remember) it really wouldnt hurt to draft porter in the 3rd round.

I really like Porter too. Was great OLB at senior bowl. Could stand to gain some weight but can rush the passer and is athletic as can be. He would probably be better in Mathis role rather than Freeney role but who's to say. Great talent and would be lucky to get him in third. Also could be used as blitzing OLB in the 4-3 alignment. We do run a hybrid after all

If Brandon Jenkins is there in the 3rd he would be of better value, Porter is suited for the Mathis role

If looks like he will be healthy for this season, I totally agree but with Freeney gone, Mathis can be rush linebacker and Hughes/porter could play opposite