Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kirie89’s Offseason Mock

Here is my preliminary offseason wish list (with a little realism):

Letting Freeney, Avrey, Collie (potentially resign vet min), Olsen and Moore walk

Resigning: McAfee, Moala, Powers (if not too expensive), Justice, Butler and most of the other guys

FA:

• OG Louis Vasquez (Andy Levitre)
  • OT Andre Smith (Phil Loadholt)
  • CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (there are other options here but I would like someone with a little height)
  • OLB Paul Kruger (Connor Barwin)
  • DE Armond Armstead

Draft:

With these FA’s already singed I would like the Colts to go BPA in the draft, with Defense as a focus. Getting more talent on that side of the ball and only going specifically after a few positions.

• SS (several options here and there is also several good FA’s if there is enough cap left for it)
  • OG Barrett Jones, Jonathan Cooper, Larry Warford (Warmack is probably gone)

The only other players on the offensive side than OG or a must have player I would consider is a tall and big WR or a young C (if Barrett isn't drafted) to grow with Luck.

Is this a possible scenario, and what are your thoughts about it?

Like everything else though.. I'm open to bringing back Powers for a cheap deal.. But I'd like to get a #2 corner to play along side Davis.. I don't know if Mike Jenkins or Cary Williams would fit the bill.. ( we looked at them both in the off-season) maybe we fill that need in the draft.. Or maybe Tracey Porter? A lot of fans seem to like him.

Barwin isn't going anywhere, and I'd like to see Kruger come to Indy. Vasquez signing looks good, and Smith is "so-so." DRC has too many question marks IMO. Our biggest move in FA should be signing Kruger, and Vasquez. Trading down for a 2nd and 3rd round pick wouldn't be too bad. My scenario (IMO); The draft has potential to bulk our line; Barrett Jones, DJ Fluker, Lane Johnson, Brennan Williams, and even Kyle Long. As for the defensive side; Brandon Jenkins (even with Kruger signing), Michael Buchanon, William Gholston, Jordan Poyer, and maybe Xavier Rhodes (should he fall to second round, and we trade down for a 2nd and 3rd) But I believe our draft class will be determined entirely on our free agent pick ups - Mr. Obvious. 

Forget about Barwin. And BPA is always the best option in the draft

Perhaps, But if you can convince me Ill buy into this notion that there is a such thing as best player available in the draft, I believe there are best players at positions but overall best player I dont buy into that yet. impossible to tell for example....well this Linebacker is better then this O Lineman or this Safety is better then this Corner and so on and so forth, I just dont get it I guess, I know the combine is a means of determining things and interviews and film but I still dont think its anywhere near an exact science

Perhaps, But if you can convince me Ill buy into this notion that there is a such thing as best player available in the draft, I believe there are best players at positions but overall best player I dont buy into that yet. impossible to tell for example....well this Linebacker is better then this O Lineman or this Safety is better then this Corner and so on and so forth, I just dont get it I guess, I know the combine is a means of determining things and interviews and film but I still dont think its anywhere near an exact science

I'm not sure it needs explaining....it's rather obvious. And it's not like there is always a obvious selection....I'm sure grigson has groups of players on his board that have the same grade. But u don't pass on a WR who has a 94 grade to select a CB with a 89 grade just to fill a need.

As far as the draft, I think Barrett Jones is going to be the only one to possibly reach us at 24. The caveat being, after the combines so many team scouts will be wowed by physical traits, several guys will go woosh up the draft board, who really should not. You can count on it. No matter what, I believe look at the tape, and make sure they showed in college they can play.

Do not draft potential if tape does not back it up!

I hope we land Kruger and Vasquez in free agency. Question: Would trading down hurt us any? I mean, if we can get a second round and an additonal third, we could fill a lot of positions on both sides of the ball right away. Cinci has two picks on day two, and if we could land their early pick we could possibly draft DJ Fluker OT, Lane Johnson OT, Jesse Williams DT, Sharrif Floyd DT, Jordan Poyer CB (should he fall out the first), or even Barrett Jones(if he should fall as well).

Gavin how about this. Grigson has a SYSTEM developed over many years that gives a player points for specific attributes.

You add these up for a total.

You put these on your draft board with highest score on top then in order.

When it comes his turn in the draft Grigson uses what his team has spent THOUSANDS of Hours and Big $$$$ developing, by drafting the player Available that they have scored the highest. One might say, their boards, "Best Player Available".

I could deal with this scenario, but yeah... no DRC... I think we can get a quality guy at corner Chris Houston or Greg Toler, Brent Grimes, Keenan Lewis, Kyle Arrington, Chris Owens  ect.... anybody but DRC... already (these guys with the DRC :sigh: )

seriously, I do like this scenario.. hope it plays out nearly as well...

maybe get a high upside mid to late round WR also... IDK... wish it was March (after the SB, I suppose)

I'm not sure it needs explaining....it's rather obvious. And it's not like there is always a obvious selection....I'm sure grigson has groups of players on his board that have the same grade. But u don't pass on a WR who has a 94 grade to select a CB with a 89 grade just to fill a need.

Agreed ... Its frustrating that so many people seem to have this idea that BPA equals choosing "player X" (the one and only single highest rated player on a teams board when it is their turn to pick).  When in reality I believe that BPA is a group of guys all with nearly identical grades; unless for some reason a particular player slips through the cracks and falls way below where he should be drafted.  This grouping of BPAs is why it is possible for a team to sometimes both draft BPA and fill a position of need; BUT I agree a smart team is not going pass on a player from the higher rated group to reach into a group of significantly lower rated players just to fill a particular need .... at that point they would(or should) trade down into lower rated BPA group to get said player and pick up 1 or 2 extra draft picks to make up the value difference.

I live in Pennsylvania and grew up watching the Eagles (Fathers a Eagles fan) and let me tell you that I DO NOT want DRC. I think Philly keeps him and releases Nnami.. Who also once got paid turned into a flop.

I could deal with this scenario, but yeah... no DRC... I think we can get a quality guy at corner Chris Houston or Greg Toler, Brent Grimes, Keenan Lewis, Kyle Arrington, Chris Owens  ect.... anybody but DRC... already (these guys with the DRC :sigh: )

If not DRC does anybody have a suggestion on a corner with some size the Colts could go after?

I would really like a player who can take on some of today’s bigger receivers