Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Upon futher review

oldunclemark

watching Denver-Baltimore again....knowing the outcome..you see a few things..that arent obviousin the aftermath of the emotional ending..

1. Peyton Manning played well...28 of 40, 290...3 Tds

He threw a tipped 1st quarter interception..and he was 'safe' with the ball.

But he also threw 3 TDs and over 275 yards..

If the safety knocks down the pass with 30 seconds left...Manning's final toss was 1 go-ahead TD to Demariyus Thomas..with 7 minutes to go...a game-winning drive..

Denver had a 1st down with less then 3 minutes left and a 7-point lead

2. Denver's secondary wasn't bad, as a group...

It was Champ Bailey....He had easily the worst game of his career....2 Tds went over him and 4 could have. Joe Flacco completed 4 passes in the second half and he had something like 25 yards in the 2nd half until the final throw.

3. Manning didnt throw deep because he never had to.

The Bronocs were led 4 times by seven points and they never trailed after the first quarter until the final play....Manning never forced the issue because it was never crucial

4. Ronnie Hillman was very good...2 carries...83 yards..

...without their top 2 runners...the rookie ran hard and did not fumble even in obvious run situations.

Like Holliday...'s kick returns..it will go unnoticed..Hillman almost a couple of long runs in OT...

Incidentally..Baltimore almost blew the game kicking to Holliday AFTER he scored 2 TDs..

he almost got lose on a kickoff and one man got him going laterally on an OT punt return or he'd have been off

5. Peyton's OT interception was worse than it first appeared..

If you watch the replays....Eric Decker appeared to be open on the Baltimore sideline.

Manning didnt seem to see him. Also..it was 2nd down...There was no need to make a gambling throw...

He did not seem to grip the ball well and he threw it behind Stokley who was open.

6. The cold weather did affect Peyton.

Most throws through 3 quarters were strong but there was an OT throw to Brandon Stokley that just died....Stokley made a great catch.

Other passes wobbled much more than they had early in the game.. Watching again..I'd bet that Peyton wanted to run the ball at the end of the 4th quarter and it was his decision to take a knee at the 20-yard line to end the first half tied 21-21. No only did he have trouble gripping the ball (it seemed to have something to do with his fumble) but Manning now throws Johnny Unitas' style. leaning in like a baseball pitcher (he threw much more with his arm a few years back)

I think he's always now going to be limited in cold weather.

7. Baltimore played a 6-man front mos of the game but they brought a the and 8th man up late in the 4th and in OT... as they were getting a better rush and wanted Peyton to throw deep. Balimotre was 0-9 against Peyton but they tradaitionally play him well...This game was no exception.

On the whole..Balitmore gambled and took chances all game....Denver played it very safe until an ill-advised OT 2nd down pass..

....any thouhgts are welcome.

watching Denver-Baltimore again....knowing the outcome..you see a few things..that arent obviousin the aftermath of the emotional ending..

1. Peyton Manning played well...28 of 40, 290...3 Tds

He threw a tipped 1st quarter interception..and he was 'safe' with the ball.

But he also threw 3 TDs and over 275 yards..

If the safety knocks down the pass with 30 seconds left...Manning's final toss was 1 go-ahead TD to Demariyus Thomas..with 7 minutes to go...a game-winning drive..

Denver had a 1st down with less then 3 minutes left and a 7-point lead

2. Denver's secondary wasn't bad, as a group...

It was Champ Bailey....He had easily the worst game of his career....2 Tds went over him and 4 could have. Joe Flacco completed 4 passes in the second half and he had something like 25 yards in the 2nd half until the final throw.

3. Manning didnt throw deep because he never had to.

The Bronocs were led 4 times by seven points and they never trailed after the first quarter until the final play....Manning never forced the issue because it was never crucial

4. Ronnie Hillman was very good...2 carries...83 yards..

...without their top 2 runners...the rookie ran hard and did not fumble even in obvious run situations.

Like Holliday...'s kick returns..it will go unnoticed..Hillman almost a couple of long runs in OT...

Incidentally..Baltimore almost blew the game kicking to Holliday AFTER he scored 2 TDs..

he almost got lose on a kickoff and one man got him going laterally on an OT punt return or he'd have been off

5. Peyton's OT interception was worse than it first appeared..

If you watch the replays....Eric Decker appeared to be open on the Baltimore sideline.

Manning didnt seem to see him. Also..it was 2nd down...There was no need to make a gambling throw...

He did not seem to grip the ball well and he threw it behind Stokley who was open.

6. The cold weather did affect Peyton.

Most throws through 3 quarters were strong but there was an OT throw to Brandon Stokley that just died....Stokley made a great catch.

Other passes wobbled much more than they had early in the game.. Watching again..I'd bet that Peyton wanted to run the ball at the end of the 4th quarter and it was his decision to take a knee at the 20-yard line to end the first half tied 21-21. No only did he have trouble gripping the ball (it seemed to have something to do with his fumble) but Manning now throws Johnny Unitas' style. leaning in like a baseball pitcher (he threw much more with his arm a few years back)

I think he's always now going to be limited in cold weather.

7. Baltimore played a 6-man front mos of the game but they brought a the and 8th man up late in the 4th and in OT... as they were getting a better rush and wanted Peyton to throw deep. Balimotre was 0-9 against Peyton but they tradaitionally play him well...This game was no exception.

On the whole..Balitmore gambled and took chances all game....Denver played it very safe until an ill-advised OT 2nd down pass..

....any thouhgts are welcome.

Thats pretty much what I saw the first time.

And I did notice that leaning in like a pitcher with his passes which I figure is just age. But he still got the ball there.

Kinda like a fast ball picture having to get more krafty due to age.