Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Defense starts in trenches

This is my new mock, but with no free agency this time. I hope and think we will fix our OL in free agency, so I dont have much picks there. Im a big believer of having impact players on the DL and that will in turn impact what everyone else does on defense. That being said, here is my hopes for us in the draft...

-We get an impact player at 3-4 DE. Preferrably either Sheldon Richardson in round 1 or Sharrif Floyd in round 2.

-We trade Drake Nevis for a decent draft pick. Something like a 3rd or early 4th. He doesnt really fit our scheme anymore but he is still young and has talent for the 4-3.

-We get secondary help particularly at SS. Someone like Matt Elam or Bacarri Rambo would be nice.

-We get another pass rusher at OLB. Sean Porter comes to mind.

This is my new mock, but with no free agency this time. I hope and think we will fix our OL in free agency, so I dont have much picks there. Im a big believer of having impact players on the DL and that will in turn impact what everyone else does on defense. That being said, here is my hopes for us in the draft...

-We get an impact player at 3-4 DE. Preferrably either Sheldon Richardson in round 1 or Sharrif Floyd in round 2.

-We trade Drake Nevis for a decent draft pick. Something like a 3rd or early 4th. He doesnt really fit our scheme anymore but he is still young and has talent for the 4-3.

-We get secondary help particularly at SS. Someone like Matt Elam or Bacarri Rambo would be nice.

no one is going to give us anything for Nevis

Can't have a 3-4 end and a safety you have to pick one

no one is going to give us anything for Nevis

Can't have a 3-4 end and a safety you have to pick one

First this was meant to be a mock draft, then I changed it to a what we need thread. We could easily take Sheldon Richardson in the 1st and Bacarri Rambo in the 3rd. So yes, it can happen.

We won't get a 3 or a 4 for Nevis. More likely a 6 or a 7. Most veteran players, like a Nevis, just don't command much in the trade market. Some do. But not most. Teams will wait for you to cut the guy and then try and sign him as a FA. Believe me, I ***wish*** we could get some value in a trade, but it's just so rare....

Otherwise, your draft ideas are solid....

I don't know why people think Nevis can't play 3-4 end. He didn't get as many snaps as Moala, but I felt he was more effective. I'd almost say he's our best Dlineman. Just because he's 6'1 doesn't mean he can't shed blocks and make plays.

Moala was better against the run while Nevis might have got more pressure pass rushing, Nevis had a sack, Moala did not, overall though, I think Moala should be the starter for run support unless we draft a 3-4 DE. He certainly was not better than Redding however in either run stuffing or pass rushing. Any way we look at it now, we are in the first year of a new defense and players are still getting comfortable in it and learning I think