Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Patriots

manningstheman

Guest BlueShoe

I think it's been proven more than once the way you beat the Pats is that you have to get to Brady and make him uncomfortable. If you can do that more than likely you are going to get a W.

Yep. Brady can't handle being knocked around.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BlueShoe

meh most Colts fans can't stand the Pats so of course they take joy in seeing them struggle, I am sure there are one or two Pats fans who enjoy seeing the Colts struggle too.

Stop making sense!!!

I have no no idea why a Pats fan would come to a Colts board and expect anything different, but they do. lol

I think it's been proven more than once the way you beat the Pats is that you have to get to Brady and make him uncomfortable. If you can do that more than likely you are going to get a W.

No offense, but you could say this about every single NFL QB.

Hit them, and they don't perform well. Peyton is just as infamous for this as anyone else.

Guest BlueShoe

Hit them, and they don't perform well. Peyton is just as infamous for this as anyone else.

Peyton's been getting hit a lot for a few years now. But we have finally fixed most of the line and we actually used top picks on the O-Line.

Problem is the highlights only show a few bad plays that Peyton has when he gets hit while throwing the ball or when he is forced to throw early. They forget to show the 100's of times he gets a first down in those situations. Our offensive line play has been pretty bad since Tarik Glenn retired, but I believe we have the right pieces now. We can run the ball again for the first time since around 2003. That’s going to make Peyton very dangerous over the next few years. Oh wait – he has been dangerous even with a terrible O-Line. Maybe we need to make a bigger word than dangerous for him now. ;)

Most quarterbacks fall completely apart when they are pressured. Peyton handles it better than I have ever seen a quarterback, especially when we look at how long he has been doing it.

True - but Peyton has had to learn to have a very quick release. Tom has had the time (in the games I've seen) to stand around all day and find a target to throw to. If you watch Peyton from last year he is not holding the ball - he expects to get rid of it quickly.

But - it's just preseason. Everything changes when the regular season starts. The win for Detriot was good as a motivator, but the Pats will be ready.

Yeah, Patriots tried by not playing Ellis, Bidden, or Haynesworth.

Three defensive starters, among others.

I watched the Game. the announcers talked about the Lions starters that weren't playing either. Lame excuse! The Colts were missing about a third of their starters for many games last year and you know what? Nobody cares! You got to play with who you have.

I watched the Game. the announcers talked about the Lions starters that weren't playing either. Lame excuse! The Colts were missing about a third of their starters for many games last year and you know what? Nobody cares! You got to play with who you have.

No kidding. The point you're obviously missing is that the Patriots don't go into preseason games to win them. Nor do the Colts. They play the games to make evaluations about THEIR team. That's why they don't game-plan for preseason games and use vanilla schemes.

No kidding. The point you're obviously missing is that the Patriots don't go into preseason games to win them. Nor do the Colts. They play the games to make evaluations about THEIR team. That's why they don't game-plan for preseason games and use vanilla schemes.

So why even bring up the point about missing starters? Why get into it at all? It's preseason. All the OP said was the Pats look beatable. And the truth is - only one team has ever been unbeatable so far.

Most quarterbacks fall completely apart when they are pressured. Peyton handles it better than I have ever seen a quarterback, especially when we look at how long he has been doing it.

Actually, Manning (-7) and Brady (-10) both had lower ratings through most of the 2010 season when they were blitzed.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/16/which-quarterbacks-handle-the-blitz-best/

This article also says that teams blitzed Brady about 36% of the time last season, and Manning about 23%. It's also interesting in that it sort of proves the theory wrong about blitzing younger QBs. They're forced to make quicker decisions, and for fear of making a mistake, usually take the "safe" play.

More veteran-type QBs may try to "do too much" in those situations. Just look at the list... it's kind of eye-opening.

Either way, the statement holds true -- put pressure on the QB and typically you disrupt an offense.

Guest BlueShoe

Actually, Manning (-7) and Brady (-10) both had lower ratings through most of the 2010 season when they were blitzed.

http://www.aolnews.com/2010/12/16/which-quarterbacks-handle-the-blitz-best/

This article also says that teams blitzed Brady about 36% of the time last season, and Manning about 23%. It's also interesting in that it sort of proves the theory wrong about blitzing younger QBs. They're forced to make quicker decisions, and for fear of making a mistake, usually take the "safe" play.

More veteran-type QBs may try to "do too much" in those situations. Just look at the list... it's kind of eye-opening.

Either way, the statement holds true -- put pressure on the QB and typically you disrupt an offense.

I think you're totally missing the point of how game plans in the NFL work. You see when an O-Line sucks as bad as our did the last few years, teams didn't have to blitz us to get pressure.

I think you're totally missing the point of how game plans in the NFL work. You see when an O-Line sucks as bad as our did the last few years, teams didn't have to blitz us to get pressure.

No, I got that. Personally I think you're over-exaggerating the Colts' line issues, but that's subjective. The point I was trying to make is that conventional wisdom says you shouldn't blitz veteran QBs, when the stats say otherwise.

No, I got that. Personally I think you're over-exaggerating the Colts' line issues, but that's subjective. The point I was trying to make is that conventional wisdom says you shouldn't blitz veteran QBs, when the stats say otherwise.

I kind of agree on this. I personally have seen Peyton get flustered when the pressure starts getting to him. Although I don't see every game because of where I live, I have seen quite a few over the years. I think the key is the coverage needs to be decent and the pressure needs to get there quickly.

If a veteran QB sees a blitz coming and has targets that are available they will hurt you. But in the game against the Lions Tom looked a little unsettled at times. It might also be that he isn't willing to stand in there and take the big hit in a preseason game. Peyton has gotten to where he won't stand in and take the big hit in regular season games. And I am fine with that. I would much rather see Peyton hit the dirt on his own and waste a play than get taken out of the game by some 300 pounder who decides to bury him.

I kind of agree on this. I personally have seen Peyton get flustered when the pressure starts getting to him. Although I don't see every game because of where I live, I have seen quite a few over the years. I think the key is the coverage needs to be decent and the pressure needs to get there quickly.

If a veteran QB sees a blitz coming and has targets that are available they will hurt you. But in the game against the Lions Tom looked a little unsettled at times. It might also be that he isn't willing to stand in there and take the big hit in a preseason game. Peyton has gotten to where he won't stand in and take the big hit in regular season games. And I am fine with that. I would much rather see Peyton hit the dirt on his own and waste a play than get taken out of the game by some 300 pounder who decides to bury him.

It does make sense, on a lot of levels. The younger, unproven QBs are more likely to just take the dump-off sometimes, I guess. I noticed, during the progression of Drew Bledsoe's career, how pressure and taking hits eventually changed how he played the game.

One thing about Brady is that when he doesn't have time to set up, he's not Favre or Roethlisberger out there. His mechanics are excellent, but throwing on the run or off his back foot is not a strength. That's probably why teams bring it when they play the Pats.

Brady can handle pressure unless it's overwhelming in which case no QB can.

Lions looked like the Giants SB D:)

I will say if you had read the article on NE offense that Brady holds the ball longer by design because the passing is based on WRs changing routes based on what THEY see (not the QB) whereas Manning is mostly timimg passes and thus let the ball out quicker.

Cincy trounced us in a preseason game once..NE went on to win that season so...... don't leave your seats just yet:)

Guest BlueShoe

Of course you think I am exaggerating how bad our O-Line has been, because it wouldn't fit your argument.

Our O-Line has been among the worst in the league the past few years. Good news is that we are getting better now and should actually be able to run the ball.

I didn't say he wasn't nor did I say it was a problem that was only true about the Pats. I just said that's the best bet for beating the Pats. Clearly they aren't the only team in the NFL that suffers from this issue.

Of course you think I am exaggerating how bad our O-Line has been, because it wouldn't fit your argument.

Our O-Line has been among the worst in the league the past few years. Good news is that we are getting better now and should actually be able to run the ball.

lol, everything with you is an "argument," huh? Not just a discussion?

You would be hard pressed to find anyone besides a Colts fan say that you've had "the worst (o-line) in the league the past few years." Up to standards with the lines from earlier in Manning's career? No way. But "worst in the league?" Uh-uh. That's you being an excuse-maker.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone besides a Colts fan say that you've had "the worst (o-line) in the league the past few years." Up to standards with the lines from earlier in Manning's career? No way. But "worst in the league?" Uh-uh. That's you being an excuse-maker.

and a BIG fat excuse at that:)

Indy Oline rank

2010-

1st pass protect

22nd run block

2009-

1st pass protect

25th run block

2008-

1st pass protect

2nd run block

2007-

1st pass protect

4th run block

2006-

1st pass protect

5th run block

2005-

1st pass protect

1st run block

2004-

1st pass protect

2nd run block

wow..1st in pass protection last 7 years..imagine that.

it's called laser-rocket release

with a bad line, you need a quick release or a great scrambling. we all know what category manning falls into

No I know that helps but still..........even an oline has to set up the laser;)

Guest BlueShoe

I thought you were one of the Pats fans who actually paid attention. I guess not. Our O-Line has been terrible for a few years and it started declining fast after Tarik Glenn retired. There have only been 100’s of threads made it about this over the years.

Excuses? Why would you possibly think I am making excuses when I am saying part of our team has sucked? Don’t you think I would like to say that our O-Line was and is world beaters? If I were making excuses then I would be giving some kind of reason out of the Colts control as to why our O-Line sucked. But the truth is that our front office dropped the ball on this. No one cheated us into having a terrible offensive line. We did it to ourselves. I was a huge fan of us drafting Saffold two drafts ago and he ended up starting LT on day one for the Rams. Instead we draft a guy (Hughes) that we don’t even need right now. He has been useless up to this point. Maybe he will develop into something but we didn’t need that. What we needed was some freaking Top Tier offensive linemen. We finally did that this year.

Yes, I would have traded our O-Line for any other teams OL in the league last season. We couldn't have blocked any worse.

But we have some great OL talent now, especially on the left side of the ball and the right side will be shaping up soon enough.

Now go make excuses with the rest of your Patriots buddies about why Brady and the boys got beat down by the Lions, or don’t get enough credit, or aren’t respected by Colts fans. I don’t care about you and sooner you figure that out the better off we will get along. I have absolutely no respect for you and I am not about to gain any. You may have other Colts fans fooled but you won’t me.

Guest BlueShoe

and a BIG fat excuse at that:)

Indy Oline rank

2010-

1st pass protect

22nd run block

2009-

1st pass protect

25th run block

2008-

1st pass protect

2nd run block

2007-

1st pass protect

4th run block

2006-

1st pass protect

5th run block

2005-

1st pass protect

1st run block

2004-

1st pass protect

2nd run block

wow..1st in pass protection last 7 years..imagine that.

That's because Peyton gets rid of the ball in about two seconds. He has no time. We have no time for plays to develop downfield. It's been terrible the last few years.

That's how good Peyton really is. And you weren't a Pats fan with a Brady for president agenda then you would clearly see this like the rest of the world can.

I thought you were one of the Pats fans who actually paid attention. I guess not.

Before you decide to take a condescending tone... again... maybe you should get a few facts together first.

Offensive line rankings by QB hits for 2010.

Worst in the league? Far from it.

Tough day for you with, you know, facts. Kind of like how JJ and I were never on Indy Star. I guess facts aren't important though.

Guest BlueShoe

Before you decide to take a condescending tone... again... maybe you should get a few facts together first.

Offensive line rankings by QB hits for 2010.

Worst in the league? Far from it.

Tough day for you with, you know, facts. Kind of like how JJ and I were never on Indy Star. I guess facts aren't important though.

Have a link for how fast a QB get's rid of the ball? Didn't think so.

And I am having a great day. I would ask how your day is going, but I don't care. lol

Have a link for how fast a QB get's rid of the ball? Didn't think so.

And I am having a great day. I would ask how your day is going, but I don't care. lol

"But, but, but... Manning's got such a quick release!"

I thought this was a football board.

Guest BlueShoe

"But, but, but... Manning's got such a quick release!"

I thought this was a football board.

I know this is hard for you an all. I mean you're so used to coming here and getting to "tell Colts fans how it is" and now you have met someone who doesn't care what you have to say. But do you have to cry about it too? lol

Prove me wrong. You can't.

lol

I dont think you understand how this works.

Let me get this straight. You made a claim. You were then presented with evidence that refuted that claim. You then tried to justify why the evidence presented was flawed and based the entire reasoning on something you saw with your eyes, then asked someone else to present you with a link to prove your point, then when the side you were arguing against refused to search for 'your' evidence, you try to say you cant be proven wrong?

This is actually getting fun.

Let me get this straight. You made a claim. You were then presented with evidence that refuted that claim. You then tried to justify why the evidence presented was flawed and based the entire reasoning on something you saw with your eyes, then asked someone else to present you with a link to prove your point, then when the side you were arguing against refused to search for 'your' evidence, you try to say you cant be proven wrong?

evidence = who cares ;)

I know this is hard for you an all. I mean you're so used to coming here and getting to "tell Colts fans how it is" and now you have met someone who doesn't care what you have to say. But do you have to cry about it too? lol

Bro, none of us know what youre talking about. This isnt the old Indy Star board. You make it sound like 2004 was just yesterday and we're 'so used' to telling Colts fans how it is and now we cant handle that things are different all of a sudden. You clearly havent been paying any attention the last 5 years...because the majority of us regulars on here respect the Colts and the fans posting here. Many of us have maintained good relationships over the years with opposing fans here...I dont really understand where your hatred is coming from. You are holding onto this grudge from something that happened almost a decade ago and acting like thats how things have been ever since but now youre standing up against it.

Talk about revisionist history. Everyones trying to have a respectful conversation. You're the only one who cant seem to handle it and need to resort to this juvenile style of posting. Theres just no need for it.

Guest BlueShoe

I don't think you understand how this works. I don't care what you have to say or think.

Every Colts fan here knows that the only reason why we don't have 100 sacks a year is because of Peyton.

But to play along until I am bored with you:

I am going to make you work for it a little though.

How many sacks did we give up the year before Peyton got here? Now check how many we gave up in his rookie season.

THAT'S WHAT Peyton brings to the table. Those are facts. lol

And let's not forget that at that time he was a just rookie and made that big of a difference.

Guest BlueShoe

I am still waiting over here for the bright Pats fans to answer todays trivia questions.

How many sacks did we give up the year before Peyton got here? Now check how many we gave up in his rookie season.

Winner get's a big mouth full of hush. lol

I am still waiting over here for the bright Pats fans to answer todays trivia questions.

Winner get's a big mouth full of hush. lol

Im not really sure what you're getting at. You're trying to make the case that Peytons quick release is why the Colts passing protection has been ranked high for 7 straight years, and you're pointing to the number of sacks they gave up in 1998 as compared to 1997 in order to prove it?