Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AJ McCarron

oldunclemark

McCarron got a arbitrator's ruling that made him a free agent right now.

He's a tough one to figure. He's got experience like Jimmy Garrafalo but he'd cost less than Jimmy G. and Kirk Cousins.

But he's never played significantly like Cousins or case Keenum or Tyrod Taylor...

Word is Cleveland tried to acquire him. Do they still want him? He's sure available?

Is he a cheaper alternative for Denver or Arizona? .  Could he bump Blake Bortles at Jacksonville?

What do you think?

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 12:56 PM, mikey287 said:

Didn't stick out as a noteworthy player to me at any level...fine as a backup, but not nearly as talented as Jimmy G-sus...

Mikey, he's played very little....

There just isn't much to go on.......'He's a better bet than any rookie coming into the NFL..but hes also a lot more expensive.....

There's a lot of veteran QBs available.

There's plenty to go on if you're looking for it...I like quarterbacks and I like to follow them because I'm at least a tiny bit knowledgeable about the position from a mechanical perspective...I've seen McCarron and Bama, seen him in the preseason in the NFL, etc. just like there was plenty for Jimmy G-Sus, there's plenty here...I saw a ton in one, I don't see anything interesting in the other...we'll see how it goes...

Developmental coaches are a big part of the equation that most fans don't take into account...that said, there still needs to be a baseline and a steep development arc to eat up to make it worth your while...

6 hours ago, mikey287 said:

There's plenty to go on if you're looking for it...I like quarterbacks and I like to follow them because I'm at least a tiny bit knowledgeable about the position from a mechanical perspective...I've seen McCarron and Bama, seen him in the preseason in the NFL, etc. just like there was plenty for Jimmy G-Sus, there's plenty here...I saw a ton in one, I don't see anything interesting in the other...we'll see how it goes...

Developmental coaches are a big part of the equation that most fans don't take into account...that said, there still needs to be a baseline and a steep development arc to eat up to make it worth your while...

Mikey, I just don't think you can predict a QB's NFL play based on his college experience...or his pre-season play..

Denver had 3 QBs last year who were all good in college and,. at times, excelled in the pre-season.

Did you see in advance that all 3 would fail miserably?   Just asking. Because I didn't.

Because they're all going to playing (or holding a clipboard) somewhere else next year.

Do you know who is or isn't an NFL quarterback until, they take fire in a real NFL war.?

Predict? Meh. But evaluate talent? Oh absolutely. I mean, that's exactly what scouts are going off of...don't confuse "success" and "talent" they aren't the same thing. So being good in college is one thing, being good in the pros is another. It's not too, too difficult to discern which skills are transferable and which ones are not...

I'll address your Denver question specifically, as I feel that it's direct enough that I shouldn't skirt around it.

Brock Osweiler I have thought is a very bad for the duration of his time in my purview. Moreover, his lack of talent aside for a moment, he has some of the worst body language I've seen...he's fake. He's absolute phony. He pretends to care, but he don't care. I've coached players like this before, he's a dead ringer for big fat phony...good for him conning all those rich teams out of that sweet, sweet kablingy...but yeah, that was a lay-up failure from the start...teams would have been  better taking the more talented, fiery version of him: Ryan Mallett. At least he could throw a football through a brick wall and had a consistent release point.

Trevor Siemian is a low-end backup I guess. He doesn't bring a net-positive to the field as he just doesn't have the arm talent or really the athleticism. He could keep you alive in a very cushy situation for four weeks maybe...but he's not nearly good enough to offer any value-add at this level. Frankly, not in college either. I guess I'll chalk myself up as being "wrong" here because I never thought this guy would play in more than 10 NFL games...I'll assume he has hit that by now...he wasn't good a player in college at all.

Paxton Lynch was a guy who I thought was really raw...so we're talking big development arc and he's near the bottom floor. It takes the right mix of developmental factors to start to eat away at that arc at a rapid pace. Failure to do so causes stagnation, stagnation leads to failure. So if I'm being honest...I thought Lynch could have become a player, but in reality, he was boom or bust...tracking towards the latter right now...but I did hold out some hope that he would find his way on raw talent alone...

I'm far from perfect at this, but historically, I'm pretty good at nailing the QBs that work out vs. the ones that don't...Lamar Jackson is the next high profile bust QB if you want a hot tip on a stock to short ;)

13 hours ago, mikey287 said:

Predict? Meh. But evaluate talent? Oh absolutely. I mean, that's exactly what scouts are going off of...don't confuse "success" and "talent" they aren't the same thing. So being good in college is one thing, being good in the pros is another. It's not too, too difficult to discern which skills are transferable and which ones are not...

I'll address your Denver question specifically, as I feel that it's direct enough that I shouldn't skirt around it.

Brock Osweiler I have thought is a very bad for the duration of his time in my purview. Moreover, his lack of talent aside for a moment, he has some of the worst body language I've seen...he's fake. He's absolute phony. He pretends to care, but he don't care. I've coached players like this before, he's a dead ringer for big fat phony...good for him conning all those rich teams out of that sweet, sweet kablingy...but yeah, that was a lay-up failure from the start...teams would have been  better taking the more talented, fiery version of him: Ryan Mallett. At least he could throw a football through a brick wall and had a consistent release point.

Trevor Siemian is a low-end backup I guess. He doesn't bring a net-positive to the field as he just doesn't have the arm talent or really the athleticism. He could keep you alive in a very cushy situation for four weeks maybe...but he's not nearly good enough to offer any value-add at this level. Frankly, not in college either. I guess I'll chalk myself up as being "wrong" here because I never thought this guy would play in more than 10 NFL games...I'll assume he has hit that by now...he wasn't good a player in college at all.

Paxton Lynch was a guy who I thought was really raw...so we're talking big development arc and he's near the bottom floor. It takes the right mix of developmental factors to start to eat away at that arc at a rapid pace. Failure to do so causes stagnation, stagnation leads to failure. So if I'm being honest...I thought Lynch could have become a player, but in reality, he was boom or bust...tracking towards the latter right now...but I did hold out some hope that he would find his way on raw talent alone...

I'm far from perfect at this, but historically, I'm pretty good at nailing the QBs that work out vs. the ones that don't...Lamar Jackson is the next high profile bust QB if you want a hot tip on a stock to short ;)

Thank you ..

....I watch Denver a lot and I'm sensing that you attended the college of QB knowledge because, to me,  those are very accurate evaluations of all 3 'Bronco busters' with significant depth. I appreciate the effort.

..and you were probably right about Siemian, who overachieved and only got the chance because Osweiler left Denver. In their best case planned scenario, he would never have started those 12 NFL games.

What you say about Jackson is very interesting because I see a lot of comments raving about his athletic ability. I've always been suspect of college success as a predictor of pro success.

Obviously GMs have to predict, right? Simply evaluating is a luxury that comes with no risk or reward. But GMs rely on evaluators and you sound like you evaluate for a living.  

I just threw out a team and you knew all 3 of their QBs, not just the starter.

In that vein, if you don't mind.........

The Bears' Mitch Trubisky. Is he simply early in his development.?

I saw a lot of skill in the pre-season last year but somewhat less once he got a chance at midseason.

I thought he was one of those boys who was 'not ready for the war' due to lack of college experience..and I think he will succeed (meaning win more than he loses) if the Bears can find him above average receivers  (I thought Denver's QBs failed despite above average receivers. while the Bears have 'hands of stone' boys catching (or trying to catch) passes).

The Bears sold the farm to get Mitch based on his skill level..

Were they right?  Is it going to work out eventually?

Edited by oldunclemark