Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mularkey Fired. 1 more job open

Jackie Daytona

14 hours ago, esmort said:

I have been reading other teams message boards during the coaching search. While on the Titans board I noticed when they talked about their coaching opening one of the things many of their fans think is a big positive for their team is having Mariota as QB. 

I understand fans are going to support their QB, but many of their fans seem to think he is an elite top tier QB. Admittedly I don't watch many Titans games unless they are playing us (and the playoff games). I see a decent young QB who has some upside if he stays healthy, but definitely not seeing anything elite/top tier or even "very good tier" for that matter. 

Am I missing something or is it "Titans colored glasses"?

-- Figured I would throw the question in this thread instead of starting a new one for this. 

Real Titan fan here (no biased here) all though my name would suggest otherwise. Haha!

- Mariota came in the league as a raw prospect because of simply playing in a spread formation in Oregon..... you could argue alot of QBs like Brees, Cam, Rivers came from the spread and thats true.... but the Oregon spread was much much easier for any QB to command... the guy really never had to play under center.....having said that in his rookie year he wasnt bad - he was solid considering the fact that he was playing with the worst oline in the league, no run game, and no WRs - his only threat was Walker.... he finished the season around 19 TDs & 12 InT I believe... not too shabby... when you compare Wentz rookie year and how awful he was. His second year was impressive (ofcourse with a better roster) he finished the season with 27 TDs & 9 InTs around 3,700 yards without a legit WR1 - one of the most effiecent and highest QBR in the league. And no TOs in the RZ.

Having said that.. this year has been his worst year of them all.... alot of had to do with the injuries he has suffered and alot had to do with the scheme he was here under Mularkey. Mularkey scheme wasnt design to no means to help him develop as a QB. Wich is the reason why he was canned. 

Mariota has alot of upside, he will never big a guy that slings it down the field like Luck & guys like Big Ben... but he has accuracy and his decision making isnt lacking a bit. The guy is a real pressive intermediate passer. (Something the schemes jn todays in turning out to be)

but having said that.. Mariota is still only 24 years old and he has ways to go but the future is bright if he could stay healthy.. thats the only issue with him. 

I wouldn’t be too suprised if the Titans scoop McDaniels. He has ties with our general manager in New England - dunno how much it would play a factor but he has better talent to work here in Tennessee then Indianapolis. Will see, you guys probably offere him a whole lot of money and were 2 steps ahead of us in the process. Good luck!

5 hours ago, MariGOATa said:

I wouldn’t be too suprised if the Titans scoop McDaniels. He has ties with our general manager in New England - dunno how much it would play a factor but he has better talent to work here in Tennessee then Indianapolis. Will see, you guys probably offere him a whole lot of money and were 2 steps ahead of us in the process. Good luck!

I'd be very, very, surprised if he ended up with anyone other than Indy by this point.

On 1/15/2018 at 10:34 AM, NewColtsFan said:

It isn't being discussed much in this thread and I don't know how to link from my phone.....

But.....

From everything I'm reading, the Colts stand a good chance of losing McDaniels to Tennessee.   Remember, the Titans GM, Jon Robinson, came from New England.   He's apparently tight with McDaniels.   And the thinking is Robinson wouldn't fire Malarkey without believing he's got McDaniels already in his back pocket. 

For thise who want the Colts to sign McDaniels,  this would be the worst possible outcome....   to lose your HC candidate to a division rival.

Well.... there's always Kirk Ferentz

:peek:

16 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Well.... there's always Kirk Ferentz

:peek:

Yeah....

Interesting, the day Tennessee dumps Malarkey and most every major media outlet says the Titans want to hire McDaniels...   and what happens the same day?

A leak that Indy is going to hire McDaniels and McDaniels first choice is the Colts.   I don't think that's a coincidence.   I think we pressed to get a Gentleman's  Agreement.    We needed to get a public commitment to stop Tennessee from poaching our new HC.

I'm glad Ballard moved quickly.   That would've been a bad stumble in the search for your first HC hire.