Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones helps former NFLers post NFL pain

Happy2BeHere

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/2653257-a-new-prescription-for-post-nfl-pain-how-a-service-dog-helps-an-ex-lineman-cope

This article is rather cool...I was reading it and was like wow that's the Arthur Jones I know whose on my Colts team? He runs Jones Bros Kennels. Had no clue about it until I randomly came across this article...either way pretty cool what the dog has done for the NFLer and cool of Jones to help.

This article is worth a read let me know what you peeps think.

Great character guy, no question, full of Colts traits. I wish it would translate to his production on the field. I might be mistaken but with all the decade long complaints on how the Colts defense is soft by default... don't you think that our team would need at least a few guys who are not so nice in private but are cruel beasts on the field?

1 hour ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

Gotta spend that $33 million somewhere.. he sure isn't helping the Colts out at all. He literally spent his attire career for the Colts on the sideline. I'm shocked he wasn't cut last year.

Salary cap hit would've been too high.....

Plus.....    if you cut guys who simply get hurt then you develop a bad reputation around the league.    Why would future free agents want to play for your team if you're simply going to cut them for getting hurt.......?

Thank you Happy2BeHere for posting this tremendous story. Here's my favorite paragraph: 

"The program can even create jobs. "We're not just giving them a service dog," Schaefering said. "We're giving them a means of making a living, giving something that's worthwhile. A lot of veterans come home and can't find work. We can give them opportunity to start their own business."

What struck me about that text is how important it is to make our veterans feel needed, valuable, & like they matter again & if canines help vets feel at ease in society once again that's fantastic. As a disabled man myself, I know how it feels to be ignored in society or viewed as a freak in various circles of social influence. Yes, there are a lot of kind, accepting, & understanding people in this world that is true. I just meant that there is a danger feeling alienated, isolated, & quarantined because of experiences & behavior that might seem peculiar to some at the outset. Fortunately though these 4 legged sidekicks with paws & a long tongue put vets at ease, help them participate in daily life, & feel like they belong somewhere. Nice. 

Yes, I know the link deals with former Football players, but trauma to the brain as athletes or soldiers PTSD symptoms & anxieties are nearly identical by way of concussions & other life altering experiences. 

I had no idea there was so much involved with quality dog training. A person never really thinks about the hours involved in training a dog for a football player with special needs just so they can go to the store, eat at a restaurant, just go for a walk down a congested shopping mall for instance. 

Not to trivialize it, but most people think animal training begins & ends with their dog retrieving a stick, doing their business outside, & being calm & relaxed around kids. Most of us really have no idea how difficult it is to equip a specialty dog with everything it's new owner will depend on him or her for. Peace of mind mostly I would imagine. 

I had no idea specialty dogs were that expensive to train & provide owner services for. Quite eye opening actually the entire process from beginning to end. 

As I read this article & thought about a huge void of quality dog trainers, it made me sad because it means that there are more NFL players suffering out there across America than dogs in training available & with such a wide shortage suicides are going to increase & that reality needs to be dramatically slowed down. But you can't do that with a shortage of trainers & if we recruit more trainers more football players live & have a better quality of life. 

"He's helping me to be more of the person I used to be," Schaefering said. "I'm doing more laughing and joking with my kids, where I really didn't before. I had to force myself to."

This is what really matters IMO. Being able to cut loose with your wife & kids again. You really can't put a price on that. Making a guy feel human & normal again if only for a short while. 

Dogs don't alleviate all pain & torment obviously, but their outlook is a lot better now than it was before. I like that. 

I know all NFL franchises do positive things for their community. But, I have tremendous admiration for our owner, our players like Arthur Jones, & our organization for just going above & beyond the call of duty by thinking of others needs ahead of their own. Colts just rock man! 

Alright, time to let somebody else leave their 2 cents here now. Sorry for dominating this thread. My bad. 

Great job again Happy2BeHere! :hat: