Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2012 Nfl 1St Round Mock Draft (12/21)

1. Indianapolis Colts (1-13) - Andrew Luck, QB, Stanford

- Obvious choice here. Luck is the most pro ready quarterback in the draft and has the skill sets to be a franchise quarterback.

2. Minnesota Vikings (2-12) - Matt Kalil, OT, USC

- Kalil is the obviously the best offensive lineman in the draft. He will be the future left tackle under Christian Ponder next season.

3. St. Louis Rams (2-12) - Justin Blackmon, WR, Oklahoma St.

- Bradford has no one to throw the ball too besides Brandon Lloyd. Blackmon will give Bradford another weapon and a chance to recover after a terrible 2011 season.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars (4-10) - Alshon Jeffrey, WR, South Carolina

- One reason why Gabbert is terrible because he has no one to throw the ball too. His best receiver on the team was.. Jason Hill (Who?). Jeffrey is a tall physical receiver who will definitely help with the Jaguars offense.

5. Cleveland Browns (4-10) - Trent Richardson, RB, Alabama

- The Browns running game was atrocious this season. They only average 3.6 yards per gain and only four rushing touchdowns this season. Richardson will help boost up those stats with this pick here.

6. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-10) - Morris Claiborne, CB, LSU

- The Buccaneers defense is one of the worst in the league. They give up so many points and give up many yards every game. Claiborne will fix the poor secondary instantly. With Barber retiring soon and Talib having some jail issues, Claiborne will make a nice fit here in Tampa Bay.

7. Washington Redskins (5-7) - Robert Griffen III, QB, Baylor

- Redskins need a quarterback badly in this draft. Beck or Grossman is NOT the answer for the 'Skins. Griffen is a Heisman Trophy winner who had a phenomenal season at Baylor. He has good arm strength and a fast ability to make plays for the Redskins.

8. Carolina Panthers (5-7) - Riley Reiff, OT, Iowa

- Reiff is a tall offensive tackle who has great footwork. He will be a good right tackle and add better blocking for Newton and his crew.

9. Miami Dolphins (5-7) - Matt Barkley, QB, USC

- Moore is good, but he wont let you win a playoff game or even a superbowl. Barkley will be a decent fit for the Dolphins and even if he is backup, he will progress and eventually become a very good starter.

10. Buffalo Bills (5-7) - Quinton Coples, DE, NC

- The Bills defensive line is terrible. Their last in the league in sacks. Coples is a very underrated defensive end who reminds me of Julius Peppers is some way. He had a below average season which made him drop to a top 10 pick. He will definitely improve the poor defensive line for the Bills.

11. Philadelphia Eagles (6-8) - Luke Kuechly, LB, BC

- Eagles linebacker core is plain awful. Kuechly is not only a good leader, he is a heck of a linebacker and will improve the Eagles defense next season.

12. Kansas City Chiefs (6-8) - Johnathan Martin, OT, Stanford

- Chiefs seem satisfied with Orton as their starter. Now they need to improve their blocking and Martin can help fix this problem.

13. Tennessee Titans (7-7) - Dre Kirkpatrick, CB, Alabama

- Rumors are saying that Cortland Finnegan wont return to the Titans next season. If that's true, then that would be a big loss for the Titans. Kirkpatrick is 6'3 and is a good cover corner who can play well against deep threat receivers.

14. Arizona Cardinals (7-7) - David DeCastro, OG, Stanford

- Cardinals NEED some help at the offensive line. DeCastro is the best guard in the draft and will help strengthen the offensive line in many ways.

15. Seattle Seahawks (7-7) - Courtney Upshaw, LB, Alabama

- With Aaron Curry gone, the Seahawks need to fill the linebacker position. Upshaw is a strong linebacker that contains terrific leadership on the field.

16. San Diego Chargers (7-7) - Nick Perry, DE, USC

- The Chargers don't have a good pass rush that much. Perry, who recently applied for the NFL draft, will be a good defensive end here for the Chargers.

17. Cincinnati Bengals (From Oakland 7-7) - Lamar Miller, RB, Miami

- Bengals need a young fast running back, Benson is getting older and slower. Miller is a speed back who reminds me of Darren Sproles.

18. Chicago Bears (7-7) - Cordy Glenn, OG, Georgia

- Bears offensive line continues to struggle and having a guard like Cordy Glenn will help boost their offensive line.

19. New York Giants (7-7) - Zach Brown, LB, NC

- Giants could need some help in the linebacker core and improve their defense steadily.

20. Cincinnati Bengals (8-6) - Janoris Jenkins, CB, Florida

- The Bengals secondary could really need some improvement. Jenkins, if he behaves, could be a upgrade to their defensive back position.

21. New York Jets (8-6) - Michael Floyd, WR, Notre Dame

- I don't see Plaxico Burress returning to New York next season, even if he does, Sanchez still doesn't have that deep threat that he wants. Floyd is a tall, fast, physical receiver who will give Sanchez a weapon for his offense.

22. Cleveland Browns (From Atlanta Falcons 8-6) - Jared Crick, DE, Nebraska

- Crick is a good defensive end, whose stock fell lately, due to an injury. He will provide an upgrade to the Browns defensive line.

23. Denver Broncos (8-6) - Whitney Mercilus, DE, Illinois

- Provides depth at the defensive line for the Broncos.

24. Dallas Cowboys (8-6) - Mark Barron, SS, Alabama

- Cowboys secondary always gives them trouble every game. Barron could help the secondary right away next season.

25. Detroit Lions (9-5) - Mike Adams, OT, Ohio St.

- The Lions are desperate for a offensive tackle. Adams could possibly be their answer.

26. Houston Texans (10-4) - Peter Konz, C, Nebraska

- The offensive line needs some work. Konz will be an instant upgrade at guard or center for their franchise.

27. San Francisco 49ers (11-3) - Landy Jones, QB, Oklahoma

- Alex Smith is average. I expect Jones to backup Smith for next season and if Smith struggles, it wouldnt hurt to test out Jones to see if he is a franchise quarterback.

28. Baltimore Ravens (10-4) - Vontaze Burfect, LB, Arizona

- Ravens defense was weaker when Ray Lewis didn't play. I expect him to retire next season, if so Ravens draft Burfect at this pick. He is no Ray Ray, but he could be a star one day for the Ravens.

29. New England Patriots (From New Orleans Saints 11-3) - Jerel Worthy

- The Patriots defensive line is pretty good actually. Worthy can play DT for the Pats. Pats will have a monster duo with Wilfork and Worthy.

30. New England Patriots (11-3) - Jeff Fuller, WR, Texas A&M

- Fuller is a tall receiver who played great for Tannerhill. Patriots are in need of a receiver since OchoCinco wont be there next season.

31. Green Bay Packers (13-1) - Melvin Ingram, DE, South Carolina

- Packers need to improve their defense starting with their defensive line. The Packers need another pass rusher besides Matthews.

32. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-4) - Stephon Gilmore, CB, South Carolina

- Steelers could need some upgrades at their secondary. Starting with Gilmore who had a great college football season, and could be a total steal late in this round.

Nice list. Well thought out and relevant to both team needs, and the top players left oon the board, Couple thoughts:

- Jerel Worthy has been a monster for MSU his whole college career. He reminds me of a young Kris Jenkins, Him and Wilfork would be hella scary.

- Barron would be a perfect fit for the Cowboys IMO. He reminds me of a young Roy Williams, but with even better ball awareness.

- Janoris Jenkins makes a lot of sense for the Bengals. Nate Clements is at the end of his rope, he was only signed to 1-year deal, and the Bengals need a guy to replace Jonathan Joseph who they lost to free agency. Jenkins is a true talent at CB, he has exceptional burst and great ball skills plus he certainly plays bigger than his 5'9 frame. Off-field issues are the main concern with this guy (he has had multiple arrests) which many feel may hinder his stock. Bengals track record however, includes Pacman Jones, Chris Henry, and Terrell Owens, so they are no stranger to taking risks with players, especially one with as tremendous an upside as Jenkins.

- Brandon Thompson, DT out of Clemson I feel will be a mid-to-late 1st round pick. Teams have really emphasized drafting big run stuffers in the middle the past few years, and I can see Thompson generating a lot of interest. He and Worthy are in a class of their own as far as DTs go. I could see him going to the Texans for sure.

- I think Stephen Gilmore might be a bit of a stretch for the 1st round. He is better suited for a Colts-style cover two scheme than anything. I think Jayron Hoseley (VTech), Chase Minnefield (Virginia), and Alphonso Dennard (Nebraska) all have higher value at such a high pick.

- Dunta Hightower could go in the first round easily, making it 4 first round NFL picks from the Crimson Tide this year. Has there ever been a draft with four players from one defense going in the first?