Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Coby Fleener

RW87

Well here's the Coaches take on our two Tight Ends, specifically Fleener. Pretty Positive

“We knew what they could do in the pass game but (with) Dwayne and Coby, you won’t find a lot of guys (like them) who enjoy doing the heavy lifting, so to speak, the dirty work,” Pagano said. “They understand we’ve got to be able to run the ball to set up everything else in our pass game, especially in early downs. They’re doing a great job.

“They’re getting on the right people and you can tell from (game) film that they’ve gotten better as we’ve gone along. Dwayne is a big physical guy and Coby is fighting. He’s getting better and better and better every game. Those guys are going to be outstanding in both the run and the pass game."

http://www.indystar.com/article/20120828/SPORTS03/120828035/Colts-rookie-tight-ends-no-problem-doing-dirty-work

Allen is already well schooled in blocking. I've seen him flat back and overpower defenders multiple times so far. He's just an all around stud. Could be a great one!

Fleener IMHO is going to be a real threat in the red zone because of his height and movement. I just think Arians has Fleener (and Allen) working extremely hard on their blocking skills first. He knows they can both catch and run routes, but he wants a running game and both need coaching and focus on that for now. The rest will come when they've earned a blocking grade.

The problem I see with Fleeners blocking is upon contact with a defender ( D Lineman) he loses ground and gets knocked back, theres ways to remedy that though (That I THINK are legal Im not 100 percent sure). Upon contact with the Lineman or Linebacker even I think grabbing Said Defender IN BETWEEN the shoulder pads and throwing them down is the way for him to go sort of like using that players momentum against them (again I dont know if thats legal)

The problem I see with Fleeners blocking is upon contact with a defender ( D Lineman) he loses ground and gets knocked back, theres ways to remedy that though (That I THINK are legal Im not 100 percent sure). Upon contact with the Lineman or Linebacker even I think grabbing Said Defender IN BETWEEN the shoulder pads and throwing them down is the way for him to go sort of like using that players momentum against them (again I dont know if thats legal)

He definitely needs to work on his technique I will say that.