Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

cam newton turns down changing his number

CR91

http://www.nfl.com/n..._headline_stack

financially its a smart move because for someone to change their number, they would then have to purchase every jersey of their old number.

From my understanding when this was presented to him, he wouldn't have to purchase the remaining jerseys since the NFL was switching from Reebok to Nike, but you are correct, more times than not when something like this happens the player would have to purchase the remaining inventory.

I don't think it was as much financial as it was superstition...He became the best rookie passer ever wearing that number. He's going to be forever known as 1, regardless of how the rest of his career goes down.

I don't think it was as much financial as it was superstition...He became the best rookie passer ever wearing that number. He's going to be forever known as 1, regardless of how the rest of his career goes down.

not saying thats why he didnt change. just saying it would have cost him a pretty penny if he did.

From my understanding when this was presented to him, he wouldn't have to purchase the remaining jerseys since the NFL was switching from Reebok to Nike, but you are correct, more times than not when something like this happens the player would have to purchase the remaining inventory.

You're kidding! I've never heard that before. I guess it makes sense if the players personally profit from the jersey's, but I had always viewed jersey production as something done to exploit the players (with an enormous mark-up built in). I would think that the manufacturers would like nothing better than to have a star change their number, because then they will be selling tons of jersey's they wouldn't have otherwise such as when a star changes teams. You wouldn't think that the players association would bend to a provision such as that. Maybe have a rule that you can only change your number during a certain window during the off-season or something, but more than that seems a bit much.

You're kidding! I've never heard that before. I guess it makes sense if the players personally profit from the jersey's, but I had always viewed jersey production as something done to exploit the players (with an enormous mark-up built in). I would think that the manufacturers would like nothing better than to have a star change their number, because then they will be selling tons of jersey's they wouldn't have otherwise such as when a star changes teams. You wouldn't think that the players association would bend to a provision such as that. Maybe have a rule that you can only change your number during a certain window during the off-season or something, but more than that seems a bit much.

Chad Johnson when he changed his name had to buy up all of the remaining inventory of Johnson jerseys prior to the switch.

I don't know what small% the players actually get from each jersey sold,

I see your point about more jerseys's being sold, but I guess it depends on the inventory left over from year to year as well. When a player switches teams, then all bets are off. I've seen these replica jersey's as cheap as 20 bucks after the player is traded or retired. So it doesn't seem like the individual stores can just return the jersey's to Nike, Reebok or what have you.

With Newton it's not about $ because the Nike switch voids that. If he had wanted to switch after Nike had already had produced a large amount, then he would likely have to pay for the stock. Since the NFL switched all together and the way things played out with the punter getting cut, and Clausen going back to 7, it opened #2 up, but he passed.

Living around Charlotte, you see a ton of his jerseys and I would hate to see those people have to turn around and be forced into buying a #2 jersey so soon. Of course some are going to keep wearing his rookie reebok jersey and some will want the new Nike, since there are slight changes to the panthers logo all together.

• 3 weeks later...