Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Justin Hickman - Diamond in the Rough?

Scott Pennock

Hickman will be a notable loss for the CFL. His 2011 campaign was his best, as he put up 49 tackles and 13 sacks, but he wasn't exactly a one-year wonder; he recorded seven sacks in each of 2009 and 2010. Moreover, he's only 26, so he should have plenty of good years ahead of him.

Here is his 2007 NFL Combine Stats:

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?f=Justin&l=Hickman&i=7680

Here is the CBS Sports Write up on him for the draft:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/504488

Important to note that everything I have read said it will take a year or two for him to adjust to playing outside/in space............yet he has been productive every year at every level. His dad played offensive tackle in the NFL as well, so the bloodlines are there.

At this point he is nothing more than a wildcard, but, he certainly 'could' be good depth behind Mathis, Freeney, Hughes, Addison and Fugger (provided he makes the final 53 as well)?!

Thoughts?

As we have seen before, the CFL does have a fair bit of talent in it. Cam Wake was a monster there and now he is one of the better pass rushers in the NFL. I think John Chick would have been a solid addition too, but I don't see him fitting in the 3-4, so he would be useless to us now. As for Hickman, I really like what I've seen from him and I do think he can make the team.

As we have seen before, the CFL does have a fair bit of talent in it. Cam Wake was a monster there and now he is one of the better pass rushers in the NFL. I think John Chick would have been a solid addition too, but I don't see him fitting in the 3-4, so he would be useless to us now. As for Hickman, I really like what I've seen from him and I do think he can make the team.

Again, it appears that this regime has continued to show that they don't have any ties to the players on the roster, so with that being said.................if he practices and plays better than say a Jerry Hughes, he will probably make the squad as a back-up and teams guy!?

Cam Wake is always the example, but he's by far the exception too. Not too many other CFL players translate to the NFL, especially on D.

Here's hoping that Hickman is also an exception, but I'll be surprised if he makes the team.

Cam Wake is always the example, but he's by far the exception too. Not too many other CFL players translate to the NFL, especially on D.

Here's hoping that Hickman is also an exception, but I'll be surprised if he makes the team.

Agree with the above

With so many scouts and film to watch it is hard to find decent D in the CFL.Grigs is not leaving out any of his options though IMO hes doing great so far.Get all the bodies he can to take a look at before FA opens again then address other needs if Cap possible.

t