Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Trade Gronkowski to Broncos For Vaughn [Merge]

Case

He just plain was one of the players that were not active the first 6 weeks of the season. No injuries .. just plain inactive every week. Then he goes from being inactive to a starting CB. Go figure... I guess just an example of how bad the Polian and puppet regime became.

As far as this move... how can you not like it. We moved our second best FB for a guy that can return and has a bit of upside in a much needed position. Not earth shattering but IMO a solid move.

I also would be very surprised if Thomas was a starting CB.

Im not sure who I want as my #2 Corner either heck Im not completely convinced on the #1 Corner either

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do not over exgerrate the trade he can play cornerback in the nfl a nobody do not read Rivers and jump on a play and pick him off if he didn't know how to play just say if given the oppurtunnity to play he can contribute and he also a kick returner. Remember people it's a lot of probowl type players who can play if given the chance to play its up to the coaches to recognize that talent that's what seperates the great coaches from the good ones and general managers as well.They just trying to find a solid starter who can play opposite of Powers not a Derrell Revis that most likely take time for any player u know Powers was not a 1st rounder,but he is a good dependable corner there are a lot of underrated players in the NFL u know and most of them are undrated it just most of the time they not given the oppurtunity to play so they never develope into a starter or great player.

Do not over exgerrate the trade he can play cornerback in the nfl a nobody do not read Rivers and jump on a play and pick him off if he didn't know how to play just say if given the oppurtunnity to play he can contribute and he also a kick returner. Remember people it's a lot of probowl type players who can play if given the chance to play its up to the coaches to recognize that talent that's what seperates the great coaches from the good ones and general managers as well.They just trying to find a solid starter who can play opposite of Powers not a Derrell Revis that most likely take time for any player u know Powers was not a 1st rounder,but he is a good dependable corner there are a lot of underrated players in the NFL u know and most of them are undrated it just most of the time they not given the oppurtunity to play so they never develope into a starter or great player.

powers wasnt a 1st rounder

but he can play like one with a better scheme

I'm not saying Powers isn't a solid corner I'm saying most of the time players with potential is not given the chance to actually play like Vaugh he has potential if given the chance so i was using Powers as an example of a player who was not drafted in the 1st round, but a player who can really play corner i think Cassius can play as well let's hope the coaches give him enough chances to prove he can.

This is what NFL.com had to say about Vaughn ...

"Vaughn is intriguing. Largely untested as a defensive back, he's flashed potential as a kick returner. Vaughn averaged 30 yards per return with the Broncos in 2011, including a sizzling 67-yarder. He also returned a kickoff for a score in 2010. Vaughn's three starts on defense last season included a 55-yard pick six off

Philip Rivers and the San Diego Chargers in Week 5. Vaughn landed on injured reserve last November with an ankle injury but is now healthy.

Not an earth-shattering trade, but both teams believe they've improved their rosters here."

There is one potential giant negative though...

He was there at the whole Perrish Cox rape thing. I don't know what his character is, none of us do. But there is a question mark there and I have to wonder if character had something to do with Denver's FA moves and trades.

Based on several articles I've read about that rape case, I don't think Cassius Vaughn was in any way responsible for what happened that night. He just had the misfortune of sharing an apartment with Perrish Cox, so he's guilty by association. I think Demaryius Thomas is more to blame for leaving his drunk, sleeping date behind in that apartment knowing that Cox had already expressed an intent to take advantage of the young woman. I'm quoting from the following article: http://www.opposingviews.com/i/sports/nfl/49ers/nfl-quick-hits-demaryius-thomas-hines-ward-peyton-hillis-bill-polian-and-more

Demaryius Thomas testified in the rape trial of his former teammate, Perrish Cox on Wednesday. Cox is accused of raping a sleeping woman in which (with whom) Thomas was making out with earlier that night. To add to the odd night, Cox was in the backseat with his girlfriend, Carthy Che, while Demaryius was in the front with the victim. The victim said that she was kissing and messing around with Thomas and felt fine. The ladies went back to Cox’s apartment that he shared with fellow teammate, Cassius Vaughn.

Vaughn was asleep in his room that night as all of the players had to be at the Broncos’ facilities early the next day. Demaryius kept a inflatable mattress at Cox’s apartment and he was kissing the victim on the mattress in the living room. The woman passed out and Cox carried her body back to the bedroom. Thomas testified that Cox returned and said that “I think she’s ready”. Thomas replied “Nah, I don’t think so”. Thomas admitted he wanted to sleep with the woman beforehand but wouldn’t sleep with her because she was drunk. Cox then stayed in the living room with Thomas for a little over an hour before Demaryius left. When he left, the woman was still asleep in the bedroom.

The victim said she awoke the next morning feeling sick. At a later date the victim went to a hospital, where she found out she was pregnant. She originally thought that Thomas must have slept with her, but the DNA proved to be Cox’s, who had repeatedly denied sleeping with her.

The Broncos had good reason to get rid of Perrish Cox, but if Denver traded Vaughn to Indy because of character concerns, they should also trade away Demaryius Thomas, despite the fact he was a first-round draft pick.

Your outside linebackers, unproven at their position, are both perennial pro bowlers! Dwight Freeney may have OLB next to his name but to suggest he will be asked to do much that is unfamiliar to him is equivalent to concluding that we hired the wrong coach. People that are afraid Dwight Freeney is a square peg in a round hole in this Hybrid D can't see past their own concept of a 3-4 D. He is going to rush the passer, largely from the right side, with his hand in the dirt. He'll do that so often that when he isn't doing that it is because he is on the sideline resting...or occasionally standing up in an alternative look because....well, because we can now, thank goodness! As for Mathis, that guy is just flat out a football player and I guess it doesn't cross my mind that he won't excel where they put him, and I think moving him around will only increase his value and effectiveness. I honestly can't come up with a rational thought about how these 2 won't be effective next year.

The story has been done on the CB's. Yep, they are unproven, but you act like they'll be offering no resistance out there. Our coverage will probably hold us back some this year, but we are talking degrees of effectiveness, not zero effectiveness. Give them the pass rush we are likely to have and we all might even mistake them for better than they are. I'll disagree on Powers all day long as well. He has played good football on good teams and is an established corner in this league. He'll generate strong interest on the free agent market if not signed to a long term deal. Just because he is a Colt cornerback from a bad squad last year doesn't mean he can't play.

Preach.

I'll also add that a lot of what the staff is talking about doing with Mathis was done at times last season. He moved around in a joker role from time to time, standing up as a rusher, coming from the right side off of Freeney's hip, covering the flat, etc. That's a big reason he had more tackles than Freeney, because he wasn't just a static left end, opposite Freeney (who was a static right end).

The only concern i have with this 3-4 defense that was played at Baltimore and Pittsburg is it has its good/bad news the good news is it excels at run defense, but have had it's share of problems with pass coverage against good passing teams like Packers,Saints,Patriots,Texans,Manning Colts so hopefully the Colts do not pick up that bad habit that both teams had plus actually the Ravens improved in there pass coverage last year dramitically due to have Mr. Chuck Pagano as d. cordinator. He seems to be very good of teaching players to understand what the offense is trying to do glad he is the Colts coach.

The only concern i have with this 3-4 defense that was played at Baltimore and Pittsburg is it has its good/bad news the good news is it excels at run defense, but have had it's share of problems with pass coverage against good passing teams like Packers,Saints,Patriots,Texans,Manning Colts so hopefully the Colts do not pick up that bad habit that both teams had plus actually the Ravens improved in there pass coverage last year dramitically due to have Mr. Chuck Pagano as d. cordinator. He seems to be very good of teaching players to understand what the offense is trying to do glad he is the Colts coach.

He was a DB coach, and the Ravens played something like 52% four-down sets, so it's kind of a misnomer to call it a 3-4. The hybrid designation really is the best way to describe it.

Also, the Ravens kept a lid on Tom Brady and the Patriots in the AFCCG last season. Brady had no touchdowns and two picks, and they had to kick three field goals. It's different from the Steelers defense in many respects, but just like any scheme, it has its weak spots.

Superman yes you right the Ravens did very well against Brady and the Patriots, but they still lost the game because they aloud Tom to be his self at key moments, but unlike many fans im only in a small group who know that the Patriots offense is good, but to me not 1 of the premier offenses in the league i personally think they are overrated. My point is the Ravens with the respect that they get should be more dominant against good offense then they are if u do not know what im taking about i can predict the games the Ravens will lose this year in the reg. season if these teams do not have a major injury like at QB or something. The Ravens will lose to Denver Broncos, Texans, Giants, and a least (1) of the games against the Bengals these are all locks for them to lose. I'm just saying i hope the Colts have better success with pass coverage since i new leader come from Baltimore with his 3-4 scheme. Colts are a special organization so im expect better success plus Colts only the winninest team the past 10 years.

I've fllowed Chuck Pagano's career pretty closely as he's best friends with my 1st cousin. In college , he excelled with DB's and special teams. Miami probably had by far the best speciial teams in the countrywhen ran by Pagano. In all fairness , back then , in the Butch Davis years , Miami had tremendous talent. But I do think much can be attributed to pagano and these are areas that the colts have been pathetic in for years,

Superman yes you right the Ravens did very well against Brady and the Patriots, but they still lost the game because they aloud Tom to be his self at key moments, but unlike many fans im only in a small group who know that the Patriots offense is good, but to me not 1 of the premier offenses in the league i personally think they are overrated. My point is the Ravens with the respect that they get should be more dominant against good offense then they are if u do not know what im taking about i can predict the games the Ravens will lose this year in the reg. season if these teams do not have a major injury like at QB or something. The Ravens will lose to Denver Broncos, Texans, Giants, and a least (1) of the games against the Bengals these are all locks for them to lose. I'm just saying i hope the Colts have better success with pass coverage since i new leader come from Baltimore with his 3-4 scheme. Colts are a special organization so im expect better success plus Colts only the winninest team the past 10 years.

I think the Ravens lost because Lee Evans dropped a game winning touchdown (from the much-maligned Joe Flacco, by the way), and because the kicker missed a tying field goal. Giving up 23 points to that offense isn't bad, especially when you're putting the ball back in your offense's hands by forcing turnovers and field goals inside the 30 yard line.

And all I'm saying about Pagano is that his defense isn't a super-aggressive, Rex Ryan 3-4 defense that's going to blitz six 40% of the time. He does a lot of different things from a lot of different packages, and like you said, they were better against the pass last season than in previous years.

Hey Superman i like the points u made about the Patriots/Ravens game and your inside scouting of Mr. Chuck Pagano unfornately i can not post anymore posts unless someone send me (11) more replys i did enjoy our NFL knowledge and different views and perspectives of what we see and know about the game and teams, keep in touch or see if someone can send me some replys.I would love to discuss other topics of debate.

Preach.

I'll also add that a lot of what the staff is talking about doing with Mathis was done at times last season. He moved around in a joker role from time to time, standing up as a rusher, coming from the right side off of Freeney's hip, covering the flat, etc. That's a big reason he had more tackles than Freeney, because he wasn't just a static left end, opposite Freeney (who was a static right end).

That is a good point - Mathis has moved around and come from more angles over the years. The other component of Mathis that is overlooked because of his speed, is the violence and leverage he shows when engaged with blockers that should engulf him. Pretty good indicator of a pass rusher that can also set an edge. The signs of requisite versatility are abundant from Mathis. He showed uncanny ability to play in space with instincts for angles as a special teams ace early on as well.