Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blocking WRs

chad72

T.Y.Hilton or Lavon Brazill, from their scouting reports, are not blocking WRs of any kind, just speedsters. When we had Garcon in a 3 WR formation, we could still run a running play with Garcon's side getting better blocking than the side of the other WRs.

Now, if we have 3 WR, 1 TE formations, it is almost an automatic guess that we are passing. Yes, Collie and Wayne are willing blockers but not as good as Garcon was.

Does that matter? Will we make up for it with more 2 TE formations that we abandoned starting 2007 and went away from it? The 2 TE formations give us more possibilities, IMO, so will we see more of it than 3 WR, 1 TE formations?

Thoughts???

T.Y.Hilton or Lavon Brazill, from their scouting reports, are not blocking WRs of any kind, just speedsters. When we had Garcon in a 3 WR formation, we could still run a running play with Garcon's side getting better blocking than the side of the other WRs.

Now, if we have 3 WR, 1 TE formations, it is almost an automatic guess that we are passing. Yes, Collie and Wayne are willing blockers but not as good as Garcon was.

Does that matter? Will we make up for it with more 2 TE formations that we abandoned starting 2007 and went away from it? The 2 TE formations give us more possibilities, IMO, so will we see more of it than 3 WR, 1 TE formations?

Thoughts???

Think Eagles. They had fast and small WRs and McCoy ran on everyone. Welker is a poor blocker on the number 1 offense. Did Garcon elevate our running game w/ his blocking? I never noticed it. I was too worried about him dropping passes.

Good blocking wide receivers can really extend the run game. If a runningback can break through to the second level, the receivers make all the difference in a pick up of 7 yards-vs-going the distance. If Hilton and Brazil have the desire, they can develope their blocking skills.

I see more 2 TE formations for us this year. I think this will create better match ups and will allow us to both run and pass out of the formation. The defense will have to respect both.

Think Eagles. They had fast and small WRs and McCoy ran on everyone. Welker is a poor blocker on the number 1 offense. Did Garcon elevate our running game w/ his blocking? I never noticed it. I was too worried about him dropping passes.

Funny.

We never got to the next level enough times for our WR blocking to make a difference, I guess.

Thoughts???

Garcon is a really good blocker, but Reggie and Austin are no slouches. And if you're relying on your receivers to run block, you're probably doing something wrong. A good block in the second level can turn an 8 yard gain into a 30 yard gain, but it's not essential to a productive run game. It's a bonus. So when we go 3-1-1 it doesn't necessarily mean that we'll throw. I think there will be less 3-1-1 than there was from 2007-2010, so it probably won't matter that much. But we can sneak a run play in on 3rd and 5 from a three or four wide formation, and we'll be okay.

I don't pay much attention to downfield blocking of WRs, but it seems like all they really have to do is put their body in front of the ball carrier and lead the way. I never have understood why some guys get credit for being good ones and others just don't do it. Just run in front of the back and if a defender is in the way, lunge at him.

it seems like all they really have to do is put their body in front of the ball carrier and lead the way.

Quite right. Most of the time they really just have to change the pursuit angle of the defender enough to allow the ball carrier to get additional yardage. Not too many WRs in the NFL who can go down field and pancake a big ol' safety.

T.Y.Hilton or Lavon Brazill, from their scouting reports, are not blocking WRs of any kind, just speedsters.

Thoughts???

You can teach a guy to lay an effective block, but, as the old adage goes, "you can't teach speed". Many years ago I was a Raiders fan, and watched Cliff Branch and Kenny Stabler hook up for a lot of yardage. Branch, a former track star, probably couldn't have blocked his own grandma if his life depended on it, but he could torch just about any CB they put on him. I'll take speed, please!

Thoughts???

I would expect to see a lot of 2 TE sets, I think Fleener and Allen will be similar to what we had with Dilger and Pollard, of course we will have to wait until they actually play an NFL game to find out, but, I can't wait to see it !!!!