Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Roster moves

GoColts8818

On 10/7/2024 at 11:11 AM, JediXMan said:

I’m not defending Flowers but I’m hoping he didn’t just become a scapegoat for the biggest problem in the room Gus Bradley.

Can't excuse his mis... but I do believe he is the scapegoat... we have EGO's to deal with here... unfortunately they are Big and I don't see them ( especially Ballard ) ever admitting any fault we have seen several years...

36 minutes ago, Dobbinblitz said:

A scenario like this is where I believe Ballard should have signed some veteran help and let the young players grow and develop into starters. These players are not first round caliber plug and play starters in most cases.

it also creates a situation where the team has significant depth issues when a “starter” goes down. The result is you are left with giving significant playing time to guys like Baker and Flowers to the detriment of the team.

Yup. And if you go back a year or so we also had 

-Isaiah Rogers: 6th round pick

-Dallas Flowers: UDFA

And going into last season they were in the mix to be starters. The truth is that good players can come from anywhere in the draft, but when you’re banking on a secondary of almost all Day 3 picks and UDFAs to “figure it out” that’s bad for business. The other issue is that it’s super important for the secondary to be able to communicate effectively. When your nickel corner is the only vet amongst a bunch of young guys who are learning, it leads to repeated issues and breakdowns. 

The smart thing to do would be to put some cheap vets out there for a few years and have the rookies be the depth. But in our case if the 7th round corner gets injured, we have to play the rookie UDFA from Timbuktu University. It’s really just awful roster construction, that I’ve never seen work anywhere at a high level. Grigson was awful, but even he at least went out and got guys like Vontae Davis, D’Qwell Jackson, Greg Toler, Frank Gore, Cory Redding, Mike Adams, etc…Not that all of them were great but he didn’t have secondaries filled with Day 3 picks.

• Like 2

See, this is where I buy my “fire Ballard” ticket.  We had all offseason to address our DB room.  I didn’t mind us not drafting one because Ballard was correct about the youth of our DB room and there were also affordable options in FA.  But he didn’t get ANYONE and then backed out of the Sneed race because he was too much.  Fast forward to today, we cut two of the DBs we’ve drafted and cut Flowers.  Ballard “Like Our Guys” us to death and then he doesn’t even like his own guys.  

I’m 50/50 on Bradley atp but can’t put all the blame on him when he doesn’t even have the DBs to execute his scheme and that falls on one person, Ballard.  

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, smittywerb said:

See, this is where I buy my “fire Ballard” ticket.  We had all offseason to address our DB room.  I didn’t mind us not drafting one because Ballard was correct about the youth of our DB room and there were also affordable options in FA.  But he didn’t get ANYONE and then backed out of the Sneed race because he was too much.  Fast forward to today, we cut two of the DBs we’ve drafted and cut Flowers.  Ballard “Like Our Guys” us to death and then he doesn’t even like his own guys.  

I’m 50/50 on Bradley atp but can’t put all the blame on him when he doesn’t even have the DBs to execute his scheme and that falls on one person, Ballard.  

Getting rid of Ballard definitely means Bradley won’t be around either. And honestly? Probably a good chance no more Steichen either. 

If and when Ballard is gone, I expect a full rebuild… and it will be another continued long stretch of no playoffs unless we score on a Luck type of QB. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CS Coltsfan said:

Why don't they bring back Micah Abrahams who they liked during Training Camp... said he was a ballhawk... can't get anyworse than what we have??

I see he just signed with the Bengals today.  Not sure if it was practice squad.  Witherspoon is on a practice squad somewhere.  He could be signed to the active roster.

39 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I see he just signed with the Bengals today.  Not sure if it was practice squad.  Witherspoon is on a practice squad somewhere.  He could be signed to the active roster.

right on cue for this team/ management & coaching.... though I know they have more experience ... they eye doesn't lie... oh I'm sorry I forgot to look at the high RAS 

11 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Before the season started I mentioned that press was a strong suit of Jones and I said that Gus needs to allow him to get into the WR face at the LOS. I don’t know why he isn’t playing to these players strengths. Too many free releases and cushion coverages.

gus does what gus does his failed system that does not work