Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you see any progress with Richardson?

Smonroe

35 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Imo, the coaches are failing AR by making him do something that I just don't think he can do right now in his career which is sit in the pocket and make throws. Also once again very little plays to the TEs. Why are we taking away easy throws for AR to make to atleast build his confidence and sustain drives

I agree but I also don’t agree. 

I agree about the TEs, that part doesn’t make sense to me. We definitely should be getting them involved 

I disagree about the forcing him to be a pocket passer. While I think it’ll look rough this year, IF this works and he improves even 50 percent on his pocket passing ability, while maintaining his mobility and that threat, he could be as deadly as Mahomes is. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I agree but I also don’t agree. 

I agree about the TEs, that part doesn’t make sense to me.

I disagree about the forcing him to be a pocket passer. While I think it’ll look rough this year, IF this works and he improves even 50 percent on his pocket passing ability, while maintaining his mobility and that threat, he could be as deadly as Mahomes is. 

I still think the coaches could make things easier for AR while he's still learning how to play QB

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I still think the coaches could make things easier for AR while he's still learning how to play QB

I think they could but I wonder if that’s not the entire point. They seem entirely fine with the mistakes and such. One thing I noticed, every missed throw or int today, AR had a coach with a tablet right there as soon as he sat down. They’re letting him make his mistakes, and showing them right to him. Then they walk away and let him be. They teach and let it go and not harp on it. With a guy like AR, I think that’s the right path

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think they could but I wonder if that’s not the entire point. They seem entirely fine with the mistakes and such. One thing I noticed, every missed throw or int today, AR had a coach with a tablet right there as soon as he sat down. They’re letting him make his mistakes, and showing them right to him. Then they walk away and let him be. They teach and let it go and not harp on it. With a guy like AR, I think that’s the right path

I can agree with that

To me, this is still his rookie year. When you are rehabbing an injury, you are not getting better at football. He has basically played 7 NFL games with 0 offseason to work on the things we KNEW he needed to work on (hence why he was considered a project QB). I will reserve my judgement for him next year given he has a chance at a healthy offseason. 

Honestly no, but then I didn’t expect to see any progress yet either. He basically lost an entire season and offseason because of injury. 

I’ll be more concerned if there’s no progress next season. 

What I think is much more of a concern this season is that Steichen’s playcalling seems to have regressed badly. I expected a vastly different offense than what we’re playing and I don’t think Steichen is helping AR at all. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, #12. said:

Absolutely.  At the beginning of last year, he looked better than this.  He looked confident and somewhat accurate.  He currently looks like the worst starting QB in the league. 

He can throw an occasional bomb?  NFL history is littered with inaccurate QBs who could connect on an occasional bomb.  If you can’t put together consistent drives, it doesn't mean anything.  It will never be enough.

Stream some high school football from Friday night.  He is missing throws that high school QBs routinely make.  

One progress I see is that he's finishing games so that's a step. The shoulder surgery and offseason rehab has definitely set him back for a raw guy who needs all the reps he can get. It was reported that AR has a total of 30 something starts at qb INCLUDING hs. Think about that most have that in high school alone. Caleb Williams is the 2nd youngest starting qb in the league and had 33 starts in college alone while winning a Heisman trophy. AR is the youngest starting qb in the league at just 22 but has extreme talent and natural gifts that have to be developed.

I think the staff is doing him a disservice by taking away the threat of his legs (see Lamar) because he is not a pocket passer. I think AR needs a go to TE and the Colts need to rely on the run more with JT until AR catches up from his lost rehab time. Give him some easy short throws to build his confidence before he starts throwing into coverage take the Josh Allen approach.

The biggest problem is that Ballard chose a project in AR instead of moving up to snag the polished CJ Stroud. Most teams move up to get their franchise guy unless they already have the number one pick overall. The reason why it's problem is that the fan base is starting to get restless and the thought of another few years of unfulfilled promise seems discouraging.

Once Ballard chose to sit pat AR was the right choice over the awful Will Levis who was a strong possibility if not for Shane according to Shefty and Will's people. Bottom line is that this will take time. Is the overall team good enough to make a push while AR goes through his growing pains to reach his full potential? I doubt it because Ballard's tenure has been spun in mediocrity at best.

2 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

A lot of people on this forum said the 4 games he played last year wasn’t enough of a sample size to know much about him, so why would 3 games be sufficient this season to judge if he’s progressing? I’ll continue watching each week and hoping we see growth over the course of the season. A long way to go this season, a lot of football to be played. 

I’ll tell you where he is very obviously progressing- playing full games. That shouldn’t be understated, given it was the largest concern for many on here. I believe in AR to keep putting the work in to get better. He’s a good dude, he’ll bust his butt for this team. 

Do people really think his progression should be a graph line going steadily upward? Really? Seven games. It's going to be up and down. Two steps forward, one step back. Sometines, one step forward, three steps back. Especially for a guy who is about as raw as they come. Fans better expect it. 

• Like 1