Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Steichen Interview by Rich Eisen

compuls1v3

• compuls1v3 changed the title to Steichen Interview by Rich Eisen
13 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

This was a really cool interview I saw.  I really like our HC.

Saw that the other day. Most of the interview was Shane doing his normal “isms” and just repeating the same buzz words. 

But, it was nice to see him open up a bit at the end with TJ. 

• Like 1

Just now, RollerColt said:

Saw that the other day. Most of the interview was Shane doing his normal “isms” and just repeating the same buzz words. 

But, it was nice to see him open up a bit at the end with TJ. 

I like the cameo by Ballard, and I did like him opening up at the end as well.  I also liked to hear him talk about the details and about practice.  To me he was aligning with the Marv Harrison saying of you pay me to practice, and I play game days for free, that philosophy.  I know it took FOREVER for Ballard to select our HC last year, but I just get a good feeling about him.

• Like 1

Keeping in mind that most first time head coaches are not very successful. 

Most of the HOF head coaches started out either with losing records or fired their first time around.  

Personally I think Shane is going to be a great head coach.  

4 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

I like the cameo by Ballard, and I did like him opening up at the end as well.  I also liked to hear him talk about the details and about practice.  To me he was aligning with the Marv Harrison saying of you pay me to practice, and I play game days for free, that philosophy.  I know it took FOREVER for Ballard to select our HC last year, but I just get a good feeling about him.

You understand that Ballard took so long because Shane was coaching Philly.  The Eagles were in the Super Bowl so Ballard had to wait to interview Steichen until after the game.   Just wanted to make sure we’re all on the same page.  

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You understand that Ballard took so long because Shane was coaching Philly.  The Eagles were in the Super Bowl so Ballard had to wait to interview Steichen until after the game.   Just wanted to make sure we’re all on the same page.  

Are you saying that if it wasn't for the Superbowl, it wouldn't have taken so long?  I was under the impression that he conducted more interviews than usual, to get the right person.   I thought he changed his entire process and was more thorough.  Are you saying that is not the case?

45 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Are you saying that if it wasn't for the Superbowl, it wouldn't have taken so long?  I was under the impression that he conducted more interviews than usual, to get the right person.   I thought he changed his entire process and was more thorough.  Are you saying that is not the case?

So I went back and double checked history.   The Colts interviewed Steichen in mid-January along with the other candidates.  I don’t know when the 2nd interview was?   Did SS have his BEFORE the Super Bowl?   Not sure.   But the 2nd interview might’ve been right after the big game which was held on the 12th. 

During the game, I don’t believe there was talk that Steichen was already hired.  Only that he was going to Indy the next day. 

I thought Irsay sent his jet to get Steichen to bring him to Indy the day after.  That was Feb 13.   But SS wasn’t officially hired until the 14th.    Did Steichen get his second interview on the 13th and then go home for a night?   I think he did then flew back on the 14th to be introduced as the Colts new head coach.   Sorry if this is confusing.   But that’s my recollection plus doing some double checking on the internet. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

So I went back and double checked history.   The Colts interviewed Steichen in mid-January along with the other candidates.  I don’t know when the 2nd interview was?   Did SS have his BEFORE the Super Bowl?   Not sure.   But the 2nd interview might’ve been right after the big game which was held on the 12th. 

During the game, I don’t believe there was talk that Steichen was already hired.  Only that he was going to Indy the next day. 

I thought Irsay sent his jet to get Steichen to bring him to Indy the day after.  That was Feb 13.   But SS wasn’t officially hired until the 14th.    Did Steichen get his second interview on the 13th and then go home for a night?   I think he did then flew back on the 14th to be introduced as the Colts new head coach.   Sorry if this is confusing.   But that’s my recollection plus doing some double checking on the internet. 

13 candidates seems like a lot to me.  They were thorough before they got to Steichen.

https://www.colts.com/news/jim-irsay-chris-ballard-shane-steichen-head-coach-search-process

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

13 candidates seems like a lot to me.  They were thorough before they got to Steichen.

https://www.colts.com/news/jim-irsay-chris-ballard-shane-steichen-head-coach-search-process

Thanks for finding this.  Pretty much answered all of your and my questions.  Good quotes from Irsay and Ballard.   

Sorry if my previous response was at all confusing.   

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks for finding this.  Pretty much answered all of your and my questions.  Good quotes from Irsay and Ballard.   

Sorry if my previous response was at all confusing.   

When you said to make sure we're all on the same page, it sounded to me like you were saying it took so long because of the Superbowl.  My point was it took so long because of the process.  The SB just made it even longer.

Anyways, I look forward to many years with him as our HC!!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

When you said to make sure we're all on the same page, it sounded to me like you were saying it took so long because of the Superbowl.  My point was it took so long because of the process.  The SB just made it even longer.

Anyways, I look forward to many years with him as our HC!!

Me too.  I like Steichen a lot.  I thought he coached the heck out of the 2023 Colts.  I think he’s a guy who gets the most out of his roster.  He was unafraid to use Goodson on the biggest play of the season.  Pretty fearless.  

Looking forward to week one. 

• Like 1