Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why is Ballard not improving his Secondary?

The hallmarks of a good GM are that of one who listens to his coaching staff and crafts a team of players whom that staff want due to scheme fit or ability. 

Picking up players who the staff wouldn’t be so happy to work with is just setting up for disconnect. 

A good GM doesn’t take a square peg and force it through a round hole. It just causes discontent with the staff in the long run, the players end up not being happy with being here and eventually the thing collapses. 

Ballard is the final say, and as the boss of the team gets the blame. That’s leadership. But what he’s doing is placing his trust in the coaching staff and putting the players on the field the staff wants to see out there. We as fans may disagree, but that’s what is going on right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.

• Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Point spread in game shrunk 1.5 points already with announcement of Dalton....
    • I’m more upset with him not being in on that play where we literally needed 2 yards, as opposed to him not being in the 4th quarter.   However I also don’t get the commitment to Sermon, and to a lesser extent, Goodson. They both had the best games of their career against the Steelers last year, and it seems like the staff is still hanging their hat on that. Sermon is not a proven receiving back or a proven clutch player. Goodson didn’t really get any snaps, but I just feel like he made the game based on again a handful of splash play (seems to be the theme for this team) and there not being any real competition.
    • Ballard should have been let go after 2022 and let a new GM and coach start fresh at that time.   Ideally, in my opinion, Ballard is probably best suited to be an assistant GM type who focuses mostly on draft scouting and helping finalize a team's draft board. He lacks the necessary aggressiveness it takes to build a winning team in the NFL.     That being said, I do think any criticism of the front office over the past several years should also be directed at Jim Irsay who, has gotten odd, bizarre over the past several years IMO and I think it has carried over to how he runs the team.     Increasingly, I wonder if the reason Ballard has so much leash with Irsay is because he is perfectly fine with letting Jim interject himself into certain personnel decisions instead of leaving those matters solely to the football people that were hired as it perhaps was during the Bill Polian era.  In return, Ballard gets job security and no real accountability for his decisions/results.  
    • I still have faith in AR only because I feel he has the right make up. Doesn't mean he is going to be good just means I want to give him more time ,especially with what the team just did to him. Also,Jordan  Love turned into a totally different QB last year after 10 games  What scares me though is we had Ballard give him a terrible defense with no TE's and kicker. We had SS take AR's best weapon off the feild at the most important time in the game(remember all the talk and excitement about having JT and AR on the feild at the same time and how much stress it puts on a defense?) We had Nick Cross for some unexplainable reason knock out AR's safety blanket for at least the first 2 games of the year and We told AR to go out there and win games......It's exactly what you DO NOT do to a young QB and it just got Bryce Young benched and his career is probably over before it started. They are ruining AR right before our eyes before he even has a chance to prove anything. In a game that was in reach throughout , they went out of their way to screw AR up and as we saw, he screwed up bigtime. The whole damn team is imploding including SS and Gus...BTW Shane, your 2nd leading receiver yesterday was JT without playing the 4th quarter thanks to your ridiculous decision.  
    • I liked that he tossed it and avoided a unnecessary hit that likely wouldn’t ended in a first down anyways.  Bad play call should’ve just ran it twice if needed. 
  • Members