Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

There Will Be Injuries - Depth?

Smonroe

Every team is going to have them, it's going to happen.  What are our weakest positions when it comes to depth?

Here are my priorities in order:

CB - The third starter, Jones, is weak already, we have a small sample size for Flowers, and we're counting on JuJu to continue to improve.  Don't have a backup slot.  We really need help here.

WR - I like Pierce, and hopefully his talents will be used more with AR.  If Dulin is back, he can be a decent X or Y.   MPJ and Downs are legit.  Very weak group.

S - They have to sign Blackmon or a vet here. Very inexperienced group.

Interior OL - I liked Pinter at C but he's not on the team, French may be decent.

RB - If JT goes down, I think we can survive with a committee.

IMHO, we need to get a veteran CB and S.  Hopefully we get a WR in the draft.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Every team is going to have them, it's going to happen.  What are our weakest positions when it comes to depth?

CB - The third starter, Jones, is weak already, we have a small sample size for Flowers, and we're counting on JuJu to continue to improve.  Don't have a backup slot.  We really need help here.

WR - I like Pierce, and hopefully his talents will be used more with AR.  If Dulin is back, he can be a decent X or Y.   MPJ and Downs are legit.  Very weak group.

Interior OL - I liked Pinter at C but he's not on the team, French may be decent.

To the bolded, I think that's the general consensus feeling around here.  I know I'm in that camp as well.  I'd like to re-sign Blackmon and pickup a FS.  Get the trade for Sneed or even a less expensive veteran option for the other starting CB spot across from Juju.  And use 1.15 on BTJ or Bowers if he somehow falls (though I wouldn't be against a CB there either, I'm just in the mindset of improving the offense with young talent to grow with AR). I haven't done much research on X. Worthy but I know he's moving up after the combine.  How are his routes?  Could he be a TY type receiver or is he more of an Alec Pierce "just go" type?  Would 1.15 be too early for him if BTJ/Bowers are gone?  I don't know.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

To the bolded, I think that's the general consensus feeling around here.  I know I'm in that camp as well.  I'd like to re-sign Blackmon and pickup a FS.  Get the trade for Sneed or even a less expensive veteran option for the other starting CB spot across from Juju.  And use 1.15 on BTJ or Bowers if he somehow falls (though I wouldn't be against a CB there either, I'm just in the mindset of improving the offense with young talent to grow with AR). I haven't done much research on X. Worthy but I know he's moving up after the combine.  How are his routes?  Could he be a TY type receiver or is he more of an Alec Pierce "just go" type?  Would 1.15 be too early for him if BTJ/Bowers are gone?  I don't know.

I don’t know much about Worthy, other than his speed being his greatest asset and his size his detriment.  But, as you said, if he can play like TY…. But we have Downs in the slot so is that a needed player?  One thing Pierce doesn’t get a lot of credit for is is blocking.  Not sure if Worthy could come near that.  

I’m with you on my choices at 15, Bowers or BTJ.  I loved hearing about their passion for the game.  They talked about Thomas Jr sprinting 75 yards down the fired to throw a block for another receiver.  And how Bowers came back from an injury much sooner than they wanted him to because he wanted to play.  

Get the D backfield in free agency.  We already have young guys there.  Get the receiver at 15.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I don’t know much about Worthy, other than his speed being his greatest asset and his size his detriment.  But, as you said, if he can play like TY…. But we have Downs in the slot so is that a needed player?  One thing Pierce doesn’t get a lot of credit for is is blocking.  Not sure if Worthy could come near that.  

I’m with you on my choices at 15, Bowers or BTJ.  I loved hearing about their passion for the game.  They talked about Thomas Jr sprinting 75 yards down the fired to throw a block for another receiver.  And how Bowers came back from an injury much sooner than they wanted him to because he wanted to play.  

Get the D backfield in free agency.  We already have young guys there.  Get the receiver at 15.

I rather have thomas jr than worthy unless worthy can beef up some and get better. Worthy is faster but thomas is the better wr

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I rather have thomas jr than worthy unless worthy can beef up some and get better. Worthy is faster but thomas is the better wr

Rather Thomas as well.  First thing that comes to mind is it was reported Worthy cut down weight in order to go after the 40 record, so what would he really run at his game time weight?  Thomas over Worthy for me

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Smonroe said:

I think Jones played well above his draft spot and had a solid season for a Rookie, he should continue to improve and be a solid piece of the bench when needed. He was never supposed to come in and start 10 games and take 787 snaps. He actually only allowed 56% completion percentage as opposed to Brents 65%. We definitely need a solid vet signing to start and help all 3 of the youngsters develop (4 if you count Ameer Speed who was drafted higher then Jones).