Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Drinking the Kool-aid (Before Free Agency)

Last Mock attempt before Free Agency 

Keep

MPJ- tag

Keep 48M

Grover Stewart- 10M

Julian Blackmon- 2 million (SAF position is crazy in free agency)

Danny Pinter - 1M

Rigoberto Sanchez-1M

Cut Mo Alie-Cox +5 

Free Agency 39M

Justin Simmons- 13M

Drew Lock- 3M

Jeff Okudah- 7M

Nyheim Hines-1M

Draft- 15M

Draft Day Trade 

Ryan Kelly and our 6th round pick

for

Washington Commanders 4th round pick

+12M

Colts 7th round pick and conditional 5th 

For

Jerry Jeudy 

-13M

(15 for 19 and 52)

*Pick 19 Kool-aid McKinstrey CB Alabama 5'11 199lbs

2nd Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson 6'4 290lbs (9.90 RAS)

2nd Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia 6'4 310lbs

3rd Trevin Wallace LB 6'1 237lbs (9.64RAS)

4th Theo Johnson TE 6'6 259lbs (9.99 RAS)

4th Jaylan Ford LB 6'2 240lbs

5th Gabe Hall DT Baylor 6"6 287lbs (RAS 9.11)

Quick Summary 

Secondary gets a major boost with Justin Simmons and we gamble on Jeff Okudah.

Offensively we bring back Nyheim Hines to help catch out the backfield and his special teams ability.

We sale high on Ryan Kelly and replace him with Sedrick Van Pran 

Colts pass on a rookie WR to determine if Michael Pittman Jr or Jerry Jeudy will lead the new WR corp.

In the Draft we replace Kenny Moore with Kool-aid McKinstrey 

Ruke Orhorhoho and Gabe Hall replace Tyquan Lewis and Taven Bryan

We get depth at the LB position

How did I do?

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Last Mock attempt before Free Agency 

Keep

MPJ- tag

Keep 48M

Grover Stewart- 10M

Julian Blackmon- 2 million (SAF position is crazy in free agency)

Danny Pinter - 1M

Rigoberto Sanchez-1M

Cut Mo Alie-Cox +5 

Free Agency 39M

Justin Simmons- 13M

Drew Lock- 3M

Jeff Okudah- 7M

Nyheim Hines-1M

Draft- 15M

Draft Day Trade 

Ryan Kelly and our 6th round pick

for

Washington Commanders 4th round pick

+12M

Colts 7th round pick and conditional 5th 

For

Jerry Jeudy 

-13M

(15 for 19 and 52)

*Pick 19 Kool-aid McKinstrey CB Alabama 5'11 199lbs

2nd Ruke Orhorhoro DT Clemson 6'4 290lbs (9.90 RAS)

2nd Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia 6'4 310lbs

3rd Trevin Wallace LB 6'1 237lbs (9.64RAS)

4th Theo Johnson TE 6'6 259lbs (9.99 RAS)

4th Jaylan Ford LB 6'2 240lbs

5th Gabe Hall DT Baylor 6"6 287lbs (RAS 9.11)

Quick Summary 

Secondary gets a major boost with Justin Simmons and we gamble on Jeff Okudah.

Offensively we bring back Nyheim Hines to help catch out the backfield and his special teams ability.

We sale high on Ryan Kelly and replace him with Sedrick Van Pran 

Colts pass on a rookie WR to determine if Michael Pittman Jr or Jerry Jeudy will lead the new WR corp.

In the Draft we replace Kenny Moore with Kool-aid McKinstrey 

Ruke Orhorhoho and Gabe Hall replace Tyquan Lewis and Taven Bryan

We get depth at the LB position

How did I do?

Take Bowers in the first round and forget about Hines. I like the rest of your list.

12 hours ago, Blueblood23 said:

Take Bowers in the first round and forget about Hines. I like the rest of your list.

Appreciate the read

Since Bubba left we lost some explosiveness on special teams. Kool-aid McKinstrey and Hines add value to that 3rd phase of football that gets overlooked.

Also Hines for one year is mostly a moral booster. I didn't sign Kenny Moore, cut Mo, and traded away Ryan Kelly. These guys aren't robots so I think the team would appreciate a familiar face and SS can use him like Eklier for 1 year.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Appreciate the read

Since Bubba left we lost some explosiveness on special teams. Kool-aid McKinstrey and Hines add value to that 3rd phase of football that gets overlooked.

Also Hines for one year is mostly a moral booster. I didn't sign Kenny Moore, cut Mo, and traded away Ryan Kelly. These guys aren't robots so I think the team would appreciate a familiar face and SS can use him like Eklier for 1 year.

I appreciate the effort you put into the post. I’m just not on board for taking a cornerback in round one. I just think they can find these guys later in the draft. 

14 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

I appreciate the effort you put into the post. I’m just not on board for taking a cornerback in round one. I just think they can find these guys later in the draft. 

I agree I was in the same boat because of Gus

Appreciate the effort. An absolute no to Jerry Jeudy, it has been hashed ad nauseum on this board, too many question marks. AR marked the era of no more band aids on the QB front, similarly a WR through the draft in the first 2 rounds will continue the no more band aids effort on Ballard's end. 

Great signing of Justin Simmons, definitely will be a huge boost for this D that depends on safety play like that to go against the best QBs in the AFC. The OL with a new coach was coming along really well, I doubt we get a 4th rounder for Ryan Kelly given the fact the other team has to take on his contract. Kenny Moore is a slot CB, the CB position for this team, there are few with the arm length that Ballard and folks have typically coveted in the draft, so it is not something Ballard and folks will make a move like that easily, the odds are the slot CB is drafted on Day 2 or 3 and developed behind Moore for a year or two. If you need to talk about slot CBs, you should see this video, one of the best I have seen specifically for slot CBs:

21 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Appreciate the effort. An absolute no to Jerry Jeudy, it has been hashed ad nauseum on this board, too many question marks. AR marked the era of no more band aids on the QB front, similarly a WR through the draft in the first 2 rounds will continue the no more band aids effort on Ballard's end. 

Great signing of Justin Simmons, definitely will be a huge boost for this D that depends on safety play like that to go against the best QBs in the AFC. The OL with a new coach was coming along really well, I doubt we get a 4th rounder for Ryan Kelly given the fact the other team has to take on his contract. Kenny Moore is a slot CB, the CB position for this team, there are few with the arm length that Ballard and folks have typically coveted in the draft, so it is not something Ballard and folks will make a move like that easily, the odds are the slot CB is drafted on Day 2 or 3 and developed behind Moore for a year or two. If you need to talk about slot CBs, you should see this video, one of the best I have seen specifically for slot CBs:

Appreciate the read, Ryan Kelly and a 6th isn't good enough huh.... respect your opinion. It's similar to the Rodney Hudson trade from Raiders to Cardinals.... also they had the most sacked QB in the league and I'm sure they don't want a Carr/Texans situation with their rookie QB.

As far as Kool-aid vs Cooper it was simple for me 1 is injured....

20 minutes ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Appreciate the read, Ryan Kelly and a 6th isn't good enough huh.... respect your opinion. It's similar to the Rodney Hudson trade from Raiders to Cardinals.... also they had the most sacked QB in the league and I'm sure they don't want a Carr/Texans situation with their rookie QB.

As far as Kool-aid vs Cooper it was simple for me 1 is injured....

I wasn't advocating for Cooper DeJean whatsoever, that was a Packers' cheesehead TV favorite, they like their Iowa players for mocks. Name the last time Ballard drafted a CB for Gus Bradley's system (or the 4-3 he primarily instituted) earlier than Round 2. I just have my doubts there but never say never.

As far as the Commanders, they are more likely to get the Oregon or Georgia center in the draft. Centers drafted early, in Rounds 1 or 2 typically give very good ROI in the draft (Pouncey, Travis Frederick, our own Ryan Kelly etc. based on history), that is the direction they go, not betting on Ryan Kelly whatsoever, just my two cents. :) 

49 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I wasn't advocating for Cooper DeJean whatsoever, that was a Packers' cheesehead TV favorite, they like their Iowa players for mocks. Name the last time Ballard drafted a CB for Gus Bradley's system (or the 4-3 he primarily instituted) earlier than Round 2. I just have my doubts there but never say never.

As far as the Commanders, they are more likely to get the Oregon or Georgia center in the draft. Centers drafted early, in Rounds 1 or 2 typically give very good ROI in the draft (Pouncey, Travis Frederick, our own Ryan Kelly etc. based on history), that is the direction they go, not betting on Ryan Kelly whatsoever, just my two cents. :) 

Could be true I'm hopeful with their needs at pass Rush, offensive line (just cut tackles) and QB of course that a top 10ish center to recognize blitzes from Micah Parsons, Haason Reddick and more in the NFC East would be a investment they would be willing to make.

I do agree that I don't have a great grasp on Ballard moves.... I wanted the OT that the Vikings grabbed when we picked Kwity Paye...

As far as Jerry Jeudy goes I think we all been looking for a guy to get open and he has some of the best routes in the game....

I think both him and MPJ are 1B wrs but they offer different things.

MPJ 

1. Great hands

2. High pointing the ball

3. YAC

Jeudy 

1. Getting open/route

2. Deep and short area speed/quickness

3. Big play ability

What I don't know is which type will be most successful with AR so why not give him both and take pressure off of AP for 1 year

1 hour ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

Could be true I'm hopeful with their needs at pass Rush, offensive line (just cut tackles) and QB of course that a top 10ish center to recognize blitzes from Micah Parsons, Haason Reddick and more in the NFC East would be a investment they would be willing to make.

I do agree that I don't have a great grasp on Ballard moves.... I wanted the OT that the Vikings grabbed when we picked Kwity Paye...

As far as Jerry Jeudy goes I think we all been looking for a guy to get open and he has some of the best routes in the game....

I think both him and MPJ are 1B wrs but they offer different things.

MPJ 

1. Great hands

2. High pointing the ball

3. YAC

Jeudy 

1. Getting open/route

2. Deep and short area speed/quickness

3. Big play ability

What I don't know is which type will be most successful with AR so why not give him both and take pressure off of AP for 1 year

Well, The Browns I heard have traded for Jeudy 

1 hour ago, Mr. Too Proud said:

I wasn't too far off on compensation 

True. Pittman is the key though. Once Ballard locks up Pittman for 4 or 5 years, he has that guy AR can grow with. 

Browns were a team more closer to being a SB contender IF Watson came back in full form. Colts, I feel, would like to have a WR and typically players stick around for 2-3 years at least. So I don't fancy Ballard doing too many 1 year deals for players like Jeudy, a reasonable hunch. You do that if you are already knocking on the door. 

Texans, with their salary cap room, most likely go after the premier safeties we want them to have, to take advantage of Stroud's rookie wage scale. But chances are, they do 3 or 4 year deals too, that is what I anticipate Ballard to do as well while AR is on the rookie wage scale.

For everything to work, the QB has to hit, goes without saying. Texans now face Chiefs and Ravens unlike our 2nd placed schedule and we all face the NFC North that had 2 divisional round playoff teams in the Packers and Lions, plus they face the Cowboys, so the Texans can take a step back leaving some doors open for us, hopefully we cash in.

I don’t see us making any moves for a WR. I think Ballard will go to the draft, which is fine because that’s a position where rookies can shine early. So with the Browns nabbing Jeudy, I’d get a WR personally.  

I like the draft though. All really good fits. I’m just personally waiting on I see what Kool-Aid does at his pro day. Injury aside the question with him was his long speed. He got beat up by A.D. Mitchell when they played too so that’s where it stems from.

Only thing that jumps out to me is no edge. If I’m not mistaken Dayo and Kwity are both in the last year of their deals, so it may be pertinent to add another edge now so he can have a season of development.

Other than that. Great Job!!! Colts would have a great secondary along with a beefy IDL.

• Like 1