Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC South and AFC Playoff picture/ Remaining Schedules (MERGE) Updated OP + on page 61 - post week 17. AFC Clinching Scenarios page 61

w87r

3 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Bills winning out. I said it couple before chiefs game that they were going to win out because its a must win for them. Cincy i hate that they are still winning without Burrow, irritates me that they wont lose lol.

Buffalo still plays at Miami. Cincy still plays at KC and the Browns. They play the Steelers at Pitt as well. Tomlin is still mathematically in the playoffs, and he has never finished below .500. Pitt may beat them.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Buffalo still plays at Miami. Cincy still plays at KC and the Browns. They play the Steelers at Pitt as well. Tomlin is still mathematically in the playoffs, and he has never finished below .500. Pitt may beat them.

The way Buffalo been playing, they will beat Miami i think personally. Cincy, i dont see them beating the Chiefs, Browns i can see going either way.

Just now, tweezy32 said:

The way Buffalo been playing, they will beat Miami i think personally. Cincy, i dont see them beating the Chiefs, Browns i can see going either way.

Buffalo destroyed Miami earlier in the season. Miami will look at that and want major revenge. Miami could be playing for the #1 seed at that point as well if the Ravens lose another game. 

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Buffalo destroyed Miami earlier in the season. Miami will look at that and want major revenge. Miami could be playing for the #1 seed at that point as well if the Ravens lose another game. 

Im hoping Buffalo some how doesnt make it to the playoffs, even tho they most likely will. That ill be a scary team to face especially if they do win out. If we do make playoffs, the only team i dont want to face is Miami. 

1 minute ago, tweezy32 said:

Im hoping Buffalo some how doesnt make it to the playoffs, even tho they most likely will. That ill be a scary team to face especially if they do win out. If we do make playoffs, the only team i dont want to face is Miami. 

Miami actually plays at the Ravens, then finishes with Buffalo. Ouch! A lot can happen.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Miami actually plays at the Ravens, then finishes with Buffalo. Ouch! A lot can happen.

Very true.  In fact, when adding in the Cowboys, Miami could go from competing for HFA to finishing 10-7 and missing the playoffs altogether in just a matter of a couple weeks time .  This all sets up for a wacky finish, but that's what the league wants anyway - have as many teams in the playoff mix as possible during the final weeks.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MarylandTerrapin said:

Very true.  In fact, when adding in the Cowboys, Miami could go from competing for HFA to finishing 10-7 and missing the playoffs altogether in just a matter of a couple weeks time .  This all sets up for a wacky finish, but that's what the league wants anyway - have as many teams in the playoff mix as possible during the final weeks.

Miami is lucky that cowboys game is at home. Cowboys are bad on the road. But yesterday dolphins entire Oline missed practice.

50 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Cincy is the one I think could miss the playoffs. Browns might not be playing for anything that last week so we will see.  I don’t think Steelers are going to beat Bengals. Steelers look like they are ready for a vacation.

18 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

The pause with the browns and bengals is it’s the last game. If Browns have their seed locked in will they sit anyone.

I don't see how the Browns would have anything locked in because if the Ravens (say) have 5 losses and even if the Browns have 6 losses, they have to play it out for the division. Right now, Ravens have 4 losses and Browns have 5.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Worst thing for colts is bills and Miami both finish with 6 losses and Bills win the division.  Not sure if thst puts colts out of playoffs with 6 losses but it does mean they can’t afford another loss. This scenario is very likely with bills and dolphins schedules.

There are quite a few scenarios where we have 6 losses with the Dolphins and still get in. 

If we win out, we make the playoffs. That simple. We have to seal the deal. 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Cincy is the one I think could miss the playoffs. Browns might not be playing for anything that last week so we will see.  I don’t think Steelers are going to beat Bengals. Steelers look like they are ready for a vacation.

I would not count the Steelers out winning that game. They are a strange bunch. 

Wow. We still have an improbable shot at the 1 seed LMAO:

However, the seventh-seeded Colts, improbably, still have a narrow path -- and we mean two in 10,000 narrow -- to the summit. If the Colts win out, the Ravens lose out, and the Browns, Chiefs and Dolphins all finish 1-2 over their final three games -- with Miami's lone win coming against Baltimore on New Year's Eve -- there'd be a three-way tie for first place. The Colts emerge from that tie on top because they'd have a better conference record than the Ravens (8-4 vs. 7-5) and a better common-games mark than the Dolphins (6-0 vs. 4-2). So while highly unlikely, an (overzealous) examination of the schedule reveals a sliver of hope for Shane Steichen's squad:

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-playoff-picture-postseason-probabilities-entering-week-16-of-2023-season

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2023/12/21/24009832/colts-are-in-a-prime-position-to-take-sole-ownership-of-the-afc-south

Colts are in a prime position to take sole ownership of the AFC South

The Colts find themselves in an unexpected position in 2023. Will they capitalize?

from stampede Blue:

...The Jaguars will be without Lawrence as they head to the NFC South leading Buccaneers while the Texans host Cleveland. The Texans were able to weather the storm last week in overtime, but the Browns are better than the Titans. As Colts fans can attest, being without your starting quarterback doesn’t mean an automatic loss, but it sure makes things a lot more difficult. The Jaguars are already in freefall mode, so losing one of their best players isn’t going to make matters any better. Also, do we really believe Stroud wouldn’t give the Texans their best chance to win? Of course he does. Who doesn’t feel better about their franchise quarterback under center?

That is what the Colts need to capitalize on if they get help from the Browns and Buccaneers. It all starts with the team handling its own business, however, against the Falcons. If they lose, a golden opportunity slips away. A loss means they wouldn’t only fail to potentially capture the division lead. The Jaguars and Texans could ultimately win this week which would prove disastrous in their quest for the crown. It would also put their Wild Card aspirations in a bind. The AFC is still extremely tight and more distance at this late junction could prove to be too much to overcome.

This week, like every subsequent week, is crucial. What makes this one even more so is the fact that the Colts have the chance to pull off the improbable. They have an opportunity in front of them with two banged up divisional foes facing stiff competition. This is the week to move into the lead in the AFC South and stand there alone. If that happens, the Colts control their own destiny. Of course, we saw that two years ago with a home matchup with the Raiders, but times have changed. This is a team of destiny. Will they seize it?

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we finish 11-6, Ravens finish 11-6, Bills 11-6, and the Chiefs finish 10-7 all winning their divisions, we would be the #1 seed. Jags would need to finish 10-7 obviously. 

My gosh that would be absolutely insane if that happened lol

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we finish 11-6, Ravens finish 11-6, Bills 11-6, and the Chiefs finish 10-7 all winning their divisions, we would be the #1 seed. Jags would need to finish 10-7 obviously. 

this isnt that far fetched either... ravens play 2 teams that can easily beat them then steelers last week which is divisional game which wont be easy. bills can win out also with the way there playing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'm imagining a scenario where the Dolphins and Bills are 10-6, the Dolphins trail by 1 with a few seconds left and line up for a GW FG, they miss the kick or it gets blocked, and then moments later a couple other teams win and the Dolphins get eliminated from the playoff hunt with a 10-7 record due to tiebreakers.  Talk about heartbreak - you go from winning the division to being out of the playoffs in the span of 60 seconds.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Doesn’t look good for Lawrence to play Sunday. Colts better not screw this up.

I just got a text from a friend of mine, that if the Jags lose this week and we win, we will then have a 51% chance of winning the division. My guess is it would be higher but what is factored in is, us running the table (they still have the tiebreaker) and what Houston does? Still 51%, I will take it.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just got a text from a friend of mine, that if the Jags lose this week and we win, we will then have a 51% chance of winning the division. My guess is it would be higher but what is factored in is, us running the table (they still have the tiebreaker) and what Houston does? Still 51%, I will take it.

I know anything can happen but I feel good about a jags and Texans loss.  Jags and Texans both still play titans.

• Like 2

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I know anything can happen but I feel good about a jags and Texans loss.  Jags and Texans both still play titans.

Titans are a team that always play 100% under Vrabel too. I hope Levis plays because Tannehill is washed. Levis isn't that good either IMO, but he is streaky and can throw some long, unexpected TDs. 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Titans are a team that always play 100% under Vrabel too. I hope Levis plays because Tannehill is washed. Levis isn't that good either IMO, but he is streaky and can throw some long, unexpected TDs. 

The only pause is that jags game is last game of season so titans might be done.