Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Matt Ulrich - Super Bowl XLI Champion - Dies at Age 41

sb41champs

"Former Indianapolis Colts star and Super Bowl champion Matt Ulrich has died, team owner Jim Irsay said Wednesday.

He was 41.

“I am heartbroken to hear of the passing of Matt Ulrich. Matt was with us only two seasons, but left his mark on many,” Irsay wrote in a post on X. “Great guy, I hear he was a great dad — and he was a Super Bowl champ. My prayers to his family.”

A cause of death has not been disclosed.

Ulrich, who originally hailed from Illinois, was the captain of Northwestern University’s football team in 2004 and signed with the Colts the following year as an undrafted free agent. The offensive guard spent two years with the Colts, and he was part of the 2006 team, which included quarterback Peyton Manning, that beat the Chicago Bears in the 2007 Super Bowl.

Ulrich was married and leaves behind four sons.

His wife, Alison, wrote a tribute on Facebook, saying: “Our beloved, One of a kind Matt has passed away and is in a better place,” The Indianapolis Star reported.

“Matt, we love you so so much. You are profoundly missed. We all want you back for just one more day. One more hug. One more kiss. One more laugh. One more joke. One more wrestle with the boys. It seems impossible to do this life without you,” she wrote.

“Please pray for peace and comfort for the boys. They have lost their greatest fan, coach and friend,” she continued."

Rest in peace Matt!!

My thoughts and prayers go up for Matt's wife and four pre-teen sons.

man it always makes me sad to see people die young, but it seems even more common in ex-NFL players. 

can't be mad at players for wanting every dime they can get, because playing this game can shorten the lifespan for sure. not saying that's what happened here, but im noticing a trend. 

5 hours ago, sb41champs said:

"Former Indianapolis Colts star and Super Bowl champion Matt Ulrich has died, team owner Jim Irsay said Wednesday.

He was 41.

“I am heartbroken to hear of the passing of Matt Ulrich. Matt was with us only two seasons, but left his mark on many,” Irsay wrote in a post on X. “Great guy, I hear he was a great dad — and he was a Super Bowl champ. My prayers to his family.”

A cause of death has not been disclosed.

Ulrich, who originally hailed from Illinois, was the captain of Northwestern University’s football team in 2004 and signed with the Colts the following year as an undrafted free agent. The offensive guard spent two years with the Colts, and he was part of the 2006 team, which included quarterback Peyton Manning, that beat the Chicago Bears in the 2007 Super Bowl.

Ulrich was married and leaves behind four sons.

His wife, Alison, wrote a tribute on Facebook, saying: “Our beloved, One of a kind Matt has passed away and is in a better place,” The Indianapolis Star reported.

“Matt, we love you so so much. You are profoundly missed. We all want you back for just one more day. One more hug. One more kiss. One more laugh. One more joke. One more wrestle with the boys. It seems impossible to do this life without you,” she wrote.

“Please pray for peace and comfort for the boys. They have lost their greatest fan, coach and friend,” she continued."

Rest in peace Matt!!

My thoughts and prayers go up for Matt's wife and four pre-teen sons.

Happened over a week ago and was reported by Irsay when it happened but still RIP