Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2023 Week 9 Around the NFL Game Thread

NFLfan

1 minute ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

I actually don’t think too much about int when your trying to drive to get a TD quick. You have to try and set a TD so sometimes you have to force it a little.

I agree. That is why I wrote I was impressed. I don't dislike INTs the way others do. He played to win rather than play scared. It did not work but there was a lot to like.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yes they did. happy homer simpson GIF- this time the REFS didn't cash out (ok I am joking), I just had too.

I had you in mind when I wrote that. haha

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Levis stats:

22-39 56.4%, 262 Yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT, 2 Yards rushing. Titans score 16 points. Levis had ball in hand twice with a chance to win and failed twice. 2nd time in a game ending INT.

I will let you guys rate his performance. I know if AR had a game like that, the naysayers toward AR would say he played average at best. 

Nice win by Pitt. I am 1-0 this week so far, I picked Pitt to win.

I will add, Levis has a nice deep ball but isn't much of a threat to run like AR is, nor did he look accurate on the short pass game tonight.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Levis stats:

22-39 56.4%, 262 Yards, 0 TD's, 1 INT, 2 Yards rushing. Titans score 16 points. Levis had ball in hand twice with a chance to win and failed twice. 2nd time in a game ending INT.

I will let you guys rate his performance. I know if AR had a game like that, the naysayers toward AR would say he played average at best. 

Jesus. Most here aren’t as biased as you.   You seem to exaggerate what other people say just to have a reason to complain

He had a good night.  Just like ar had good games.  

Btw  it would matter if it was the 4th pick in the draft or the 33rd 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I will add, Levis has a nice deep ball but isn't much of a threat to run like AR is, nor did he look accurate on the short pass game tonight.

To be fair, his entire o-line was destroyed from injuries so Watt and company were feasting practically every play. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Jesus. Most here aren’t as biased as you.   You seem to exaggerate what other people say just to have a reason to complain

Mad bro. Why would that post trigger you. I was just giving an honest assessment of what I seen and what I think. What is the big deal. You need to calm the crap down dude. I have tried to get along with you over and over and you post something like toward me. Get a life.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Levis had ball in hand twice with a chance to win and failed twice. 2nd time in a game ending INT.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I was just giving an honest assessment of what I seen

I'm not triggered nor excited.  Once again you exaggerate as if your exaggeration is fact.

You were giving a biased assessment, whether you realize it or not.

Especially above.  Saying what you said above clearly is setting a standard that rookie QB playing his second game is supposed to win the game in the 4th quarter.  Exaggerate the standard to be able to claim that he failed.

That is hardly a standard that any reasonable person would set for any of the rookie QBs. 

When your posts are reasonable, we get along.  Have a nice night.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

I'm not triggered nor excited.  Once again you exaggerate as if your exaggeration is fact.

Especially above.  Saying what you said above clearly is setting a standard that rookie QB playing his second game is supposed to win the game in the 4th quarter.  Exaggerate the standard to be able to claim that he failed.

That is hardly a standard that any reasonable person would set for any of the rookie QBs. 

I stated a fact by saying he failed twice that was all and you jump all over me for it. I should have expected it. I never said anything about standards for a rookie QB. I was just assessing 1 game, just like we assessed last game where I thought Levis played great with 4 TD's and he won. 

49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Levis stats:

I think he played well. He is not a seasoned vet, but he showed a lot to like. He has a lot of confidence, which I like. (I like confidence, not boastfulness. In predraft, he seemed boastful which turned me off.)  His short passing game is not great so far. Both he and AR seem more comfortable throwing long passes.

These are rookies. This is their time to learn. I thought he played well.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

I missed that. You’ve got to be kidding me. After the uproar across the league the refs did it again?

It was not an egregious call. It was late in the game and it seemed like a borderline call that could have decided the game. I was okay with it.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DougDew said:

When your posts are reasonable, we get along.  Have a nice night.

Reasonable by who's standards, yours? I hate to break it to you but I have had the most LIKES in here regarding my takes and opinions, so I think 90% of people would say my posts are reasonable as a whole. There is around 10% of people in here that want argue with me for no reason, that isn't a ME problem, that is on you guys lol. You have a nice night also. 

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

It was not an egregious call. It was late in the game and it seemed like a borderline call that could have decided the game. I was okay with it.

Yeah, it was a 4th and 5 if I remember but Hopkins has always got that call. He is a Hall of Fame WR so if it is close, I can see it. The calls the Browns got against us were puke!

9 hours ago, RollerColt said:

We’re both 35 with kids so I can confirm. Yeah it’s going faster now. BUT, we aren’t old (yet). 

Although my students believe anyone over 30 is apparently one foot in the grave already :funny:

Lol I'm glad I work in an "old man" industry. I turned 33 last week but I'm still one of the youngest in the office! 

I feel older since my little girl will be 11 next Friday. And my babygirl is gonna be 9 next month 🤯

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

P.s.

Studying Back To School GIF by Kohl's

Mr levis. Earth was missing you for the last couple days.

And Steelers are still horrible..

He looked like what most good rookies do. But he ain’t Mahomes lighting up the Steelers in Year 1 of starting, remember that?

Having said that, in the limited time I saw AR, there would have been no reason to say AR couldn’t have done something similar but with a combination of using his legs and arm.

The poise, more than play is what you look for in a rookie QB. Pressured on 45% of drop backs, Levis showed good poise, IMO. Speaks volumes about TN QB staff thinking Willis was even in the ball park.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DougDew said:

2006 did rate his performance, rather than complementing the many really impressive big throws, he got the dagger out and gave it a little twist.

27 minutes ago, chad72 said:

He looked like what most good rookies do. But he ain’t Mahomes lighting up the Steelers in Year 1 of starting, remember that?

Having said that, in the limited time I saw AR, there would have been no reason to say AR couldn’t have done something similar but with a combination of using his legs and arm.

The poise, more than play is what you look for in a rookie QB. Pressured on 45% of drop backs, Levis showed good poise, IMO. Speaks volumes about TN QB staff thinking Willis was even in the ball park.

Yeah, that's the one thing to look for when watching rookie QBs (and RBs since that was my old position). How do they handle the bright lights? Do they seem overwhelmed? Levis didn't seem phased at all after getting hit over and over. Kept his eyes downfield and trusted his o-line, even after they started to fall one by one to injury. 

That final drive ended in an interception, but leading up to that I didn't see any panic at all. In fact I was super impressed with his clock management. 

Vrabel drives me nuts, but man does he know how to prepare his teams for situational football. They new exactly what to do with 1:44 left in the game. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

That final drive ended in an interception, but leading up to that I didn't see any panic at all. In fact I was super impressed with his clock management.

All picks and stats are not equal.  Facts are usually useless unless they have context.  Hypothetical Example:  Two QBs each go 10/12 no TDs and 1 pick.  Not much difference to judge performance.

QB #1 team is behind by 4 and leads a 4th Q drive that needs to score a TD in 1:50 with three time outs.  Ends up throwing his pick in the end zone on 3rd down with 11 seconds left from the 20 yard line.  Basically, the pass...any pass....had to be thrown.   Since it doesn't give the opponent a meaningful possession and his team was running out of downs and time, that pick is nothing more than an incompletion.

QB#2' team is behind by 4 points in the second quarter and he throws a pick on his own 40 yard line on second down from his 25.  This pick has much more adverse consequences because it gave the opponent a meaningful possession near FG range.  Also, since it was in the second quarter and on second down, that pass did not have to be thrown at all compared to QB1's situation.

A person would only know this difference if they watched both games.  The stats by themselves...cherry picking....would in fact, lie, because without knowing the context, the stats themselves look like both QBs performed equally when they clearly did not.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

All picks and stats are not equal.  Facts are usually useless unless they have context.  Hypothetical Example:  Two QBs each go 10/12 no TDs and 1 pick.  Not much difference to judge performance.

QB #1 team is behind by 4 and leads a 4th Q drive that needs to score a TD in 1:50 with three time outs.  Ends up throwing his pick in the end zone on 3rd down with 11 seconds left from the 20 yard line.  Basically, the pass...any pass....had to be thrown.   Since it doesn't give the opponent a meaningful possession and his team was running out of downs and time, that pick is nothing more than an incompletion.

QB#2' team is behind by 4 points in the second quarter and he throws a pick on his own 40 yard line on second down from his 25.  This pick has much more adverse consequences because it gave the opponent a meaningful possession near FG range.  Also, since it was in the second quarter and on second down, that pass did not have to be thrown at all compared to QB1's situation.

A person would only know this difference if they watched both games.  The stats by themselves...cherry picking....would in fact, lie, because without knowing the context, the stats themselves look like both QBs performed equally when they clearly did not.  

I agree. Contextualization is very important. Something I try to hammer into my student's minds as much as I can in the limited amount of time I have with them. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Chrisaaron1023 said:

Lol I'm glad I work in an "old man" industry. I turned 33 last week but I'm still one of the youngest in the office! 

I feel older since my little girl will be 11 next Friday. And my babygirl is gonna be 9 next month 🤯

You're a youngster. When I was 46, someone here called me a "Youngin". I guess that was his way of saying he was older. I think he was in his 60s. That youngin comment made me think everyone else was older. I did not realize then that I was one of the older folks.

2 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. Contextualization is very important. Something I try to hammer into my student's minds as much as I can in the limited amount of time I have with them. 

Not all stats are the same. I agree. Both QB's could have identical stats but it is the QB that makes the game winning plays at the end to win is what matters, that is the most important thing, and all people remember. Unless someone follows the Colts closely, nobody is going to remember the near perfect 2nd Half that AR put up against the Rams, where he led a 23-0 comeback, it is because we lost in OT. Stafford got all the glory.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am old enough to be your dad at 52 homer GIF

That is too young to be a father. Lol. I tell people "enjoy your youth". Having kids is wonderful but it is a huge responsibility. 19 is still a kid, IMO.

4 hours ago, RollerColt said:

I agree. It is important to look at how he played rather than the result. He played well. In that last drive, he played with urgency, understanding how much time he had on the clock and choosing plays with the clock in mind. He threw a pass to win the game. It did not work but he did not chicken out. He played to win. I like that.

That does not mean he is the next great QB but it is a good start. I still like what I have seen from AR too and I think he has the potential to be great. I think we can appreciate other players even if they don't play for us.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That is too young to be a father. Lol. I tell people "enjoy your youth". Having kids is wonderful but it is a huge responsibility. 19 is still a kid, IMO.

I agree. It is important to look at how he played rather than the result. He played well. In that last drive, he played with urgency, understanding how much time he had on the clock and choosing plays with the clock in mind. He threw a pass to win the game. It did not work but he did not chicken out. He played to win. I like that.

That does not mean he is the next great QB but it is a good start. I still like what I have seen from AR too and I think he has the potential to be great. I think we can appreciate other players even if they don't play for us.

It is funny that I get labeled biased or being Homer homer simpson GIF but yet when I rank my all-time QB's, I have Tom Brady #1 and Peyton at #3. My top 4 QB's that I ever seen going by Eye test, Stats, Accomplishments = League MVP's/SB wins, Clutch Factor, and Leadership are:

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. Peyton

4. Mahomes

I have 1 Colt in it and if anyone doesn't think Peyton doesn't belong on the Mt Rushmore of QB's they no nothing about football. I can't even take someone serious that doesn't think he belongs.

29 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It is funny that I get labeled biased or being Homer homer simpson GIF but yet when I rank my all-time QB's, I have Tom Brady #1 and Peyton at #3. My top 4 QB's that I ever seen going by Eye test, Stats, Accomplishments = League MVP's/SB wins, Clutch Factor, and Leadership are:

1. Brady

2. Montana

3. Peyton

4. Mahomes

I have 1 Colt in it and if anyone doesn't think Peyton doesn't belong on the Mt Rushmore of QB's they no nothing about football. I can't even take someone serious that doesn't think he belongs.

Only one I would change at the moment is Unitas over Mahomes. 

43 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

Lol my mother is 51 my father if he was still alive would have been 51. my step dad is 49 :lol: my family doesn't wait haha

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Oh you big Homer, quit being biased Cracking Up Lol GIF by HULU- I actually do have Unitas 5th. I would say Elway is 6th, Rodgers 7th. 

How about this for a mind exercise: 

If Mahomes wins 1 more ring, does that put him above Manning? 

For me, it actually doesn't unless Mahomes goes to a different team and wins it all again. When a player does that, it signifies that their contributions are unquestionable. 

Just now, RollerColt said:

For me, it actually doesn't unless Mahomes goes to a different team and wins it all again. When a player does that, it signifies that their contributions are unquestionable. 

It doesn't because Peyton has 5 League MVP's. + Peyton won a SB with 2 different teams. Mahomes would need to win at least 2 more SB's before I rank him over Peyton. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

Longevity for more than a decade with another ring will put him over Manning, IMO. The Chiefs ain't letting Mahomes out that door for a decade at least, IMO. If Mahomes plays for another 12 years, he is winning another 3-4 MVPs, IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To me Bradshaw who won 4 SB's isn't in the above discussion because their Defense was that teams identity and he only won 1 League MVP.

I agree. He belongs in the discussion for maybe top 15 though because he did keep the team relevant and made the plays necessary to win it all. Average QBs can't maintain that level of competitiveness for 4 Super Bowls. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Longevity for more than a decade with another ring will put him over Manning, IMO. The Chiefs ain't letting Mahomes out that door for a decade at least, IMO.

I am not sure 1 will do it for me because Peyton did win 5 League MVP's. If Mahomes wins 2 more League MVP's and another SB I can see it then. League MVP is very important because most view that as the best player in football or most important player to his team.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am not sure 1 will do it for me because Peyton did win 5 League MVP's. If Mahomes wins 2 more League MVP's and another SB I can see it then. League MVP is very important because most view that as the best player in football or most important player to his team.

That is why I added another line stating that if Mahomes plays another decade, there is a good chance he wins a couple more MVPs. :) 

• Like 1