Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keys to get back to winning AFC South

BProland85

It all starts with winning divisional games. Every NFL coach believes that to go where you want to go, you have to win the division. That said, I wanted to come up with some quick keys to defeating divisional opponents and finally get back to the top of the division. 

Keys to defeating Titans...

This one is easy as I see the Titans play week in and week out being that I live in Nashville. First and foremost you have to slow Derrick Henry and the run game. That is what obviously drives their offense. You do that, you force Tannehill to carry that offense and not rely on the play action game. Second, you must account for WR Treylon Burks. Looking at their horrendous WR core, he is their ONLY threat at WR who has game-breaking ability. I hope Indy either doubles him when they play, or Brents shows he can match up very well with him as he has to size and athleticism to match Burks. Third, keep an eye on TE Chig Okonkwo at all times, as outside of Burks, he is the only other receiving option who can make big plays. Hoping Leonard comes back healthy to help in covering TEs, but if he doesn't Bradley needs a plan to covering opposing TEs in 2023. Finally, the DL and pass rush needs to be schemed to attack the Titans OC, RG, and RT. Their OL is very weak on paper, and most importantly at those 3 positions. They should be solid at LG with the Skorosnki pick, and possibly at LT with Andre Dillard. Hopefully Buckner and company are lined up over weaker OL players to take advantage and get after Tannehill often. 

Keys to defeating Texans...

To defeat the Texans is a bit tougher to predict, as they have a brand new coaching staff with new schemes. One would assume they will employ more of a 49ers style offense as their OC came from San Fran. First, to defeat a team with a rookie QB you must eliminate his running game and Dameon Pierce. Make Stroud beat you with no name WRs. Stroud is so used to stud WRs at Ohio State getting open early and often. He won't have that luxury in the NFL with the Texans. If Bradley can throw some confusion Stroud's way with defensive alignments in the coverage and pass rush department, the Colts should have success against them. 

Keys to defeating Jaguars...

Finally, time to discuss the biggest threat, the Jags. First a key to defeating Jacksonville is by tight coverage of their WRs and TEs and making Lawrence uncomfortable early. Indy defeated Jacksonville in Indy last year, and in that game Lawrence only threw for 165 yards. Eliminate the big plays in both the passing and running game, and you can be right there with them. Offensively, protection is key. Matt Ryan actually looked decent last year in the home game against the Jags, and it all started by getting rid of the ball early and good protection. Indy allowed 0 sacks in that game. If the OL can rebound from last year which most Colts fans believe they will with added chemistry and the progression of Raimman, they should be very competitive in both Jags games. 

I think this is a rough year for the Titans. They have some personnel losses, they're not great at a couple of positions, and at some point the Derrick Henry production is going to fall off (signs suggest maybe it's already happening?) Unless Tannehill goes off, or Levis is really good, I think they're a .500 team.

The Texans are kind of unknown, any team can take a jump, especially with a new HC. But I don't see their roster being significantly better in any area from last season, they're just building right now. 

The Jags, I think, are for real. They've built a strong roster, and for the first time in a long time they have a good coach and a good QB together. They might have some weakness on OL, but I think they have the coaching staff to mitigate that. Bigger questions are on defense -- soft pass rush and questionable secondary. But they're still the best team in the division, IMO, and should be a 10 win team, with potential to win more if Lawrence really steps up as a franchise QB. You can probably pencil in a loss for the Colts in Jacksonville. 

I don't have high hopes for the Colts winning the division this year. Anything is possible, but our team probably isn't ready to compete at that level yet. Of course, there is no powerhouse team in the division, and the Jags won last year going 4-2 in the division, winning 9 total games. 

• Like 2