Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Assistant coaches: Firings and changes around the NFL.

NFLfan

Please  post any coaching changes around the league.

• Vikings fired their DC Ed Donatell 

• Rams make several changes to coaching staff, McVay stays

• Ravens OC Greg Roman steps down 

• Buccaneers fired OC Byron Leftwich and Clyde Christensen retired

• Patriots are looking for an OC to replace Matt Patricia

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I'm not sure. I will check. Thank you!

Any good DCs out there for the Vikes?

Vikings wire have a good list of options, there are some good options available who were position group coaches in Rams, Cowboys, DC from Wisconsin, Chargers.. Brian Flores would be nice if he wants DC job and would like to leave Steelers. Seahawks associate HC Sean Desai seems to be a choice too, lot of them seem to have worked with Fangio scheme. Some lateral moves for current DCs are proposed but these candidates are looking for HC promotion. 

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-defensive-coordinator-ed-donatell-vic-fangio-sean-desai-mike-pettine-raheem-morris-jonathan-cooley/

I'd like anyone who can have at least a stable defense, having the ability to set up a very good run or pass defense if not both, if not elite.. At least having an identity in one way or other to start with would be good to compete in games. 

If they can coach up the CBs and find a good one in this draft or FA to help this season, that'd improve the defense. If most of Cine, Booth, Evans, Dantzler, Boyd could stay healthy and the new coach could make them and secondary play well, that's the kind of coach I'd want. 

Edited by VikingsFanInChennai
Correction
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, VikingsFanInChennai said:

Vikings wire have a good list of options, there are some good options available who were position group coaches in Rams, Cowboys, DC from Wisconsin, Chargers.. Brian Flores would be nice if he wants DC job and would like to leave Steelers. Seahawks associate HC Sean Desai seems to be a choice too, lot of them seem to have worked with Fangio scheme. Some lateral moves for current DCs are proposed but these candidates are looking for HC promotion. 

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/lists/minnesota-vikings-defensive-coordinator-ed-donatell-vic-fangio-sean-desai-mike-pettine-raheem-morris-jonathan-cooley/

I'd like anyone who can have at least a stable defense, having the ability to set up a very good run or pass defense if not both, if not elite.. At least having an identity in one way or other to start with would be good to compete in games. 

If they can coach up the CBs and find a good one in this draft or FA to help this season, that'd improve the defense. If most of Cine, Booth, Evans, Dantzler, Boyd and the new coach could make them and secondary play well, that's the kind of coach I'd want. 

That must be the same article I read on the Athletic. There was a lot mentioned of Vic Fangio defense. Why are they so enamored with that defense? I read on the Athletic that Wade Phillips is a possibility. He has been a successful DC wherever he goes but he is the father of our OC. I don't think I want that nepotism that we had during the Zimmer years. 

41 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

That must be the same article I read on the Athletic. There was a lot mentioned of Vic Fangio defense. Why are they so enamored with that defense? I read on the Athletic that Wade Phillips is a possibility. He has been a successful DC wherever he goes but he is the father of our OC. I don't think I want that nepotism that we had during the Zimmer years. 

Lot of young guys are out there looking to move up the rank, who has worked with Vic Fangio or similar defense set up by others. As KOC preferred 3-4 defense, media focuses on similar candidates, i guess. 

I think the key is to find suitable players for the defense, they did it with Zadarius Smith for the front seven, whoever they hire hopefully gets the personnel right for the coverage and shore up run defense up front. 

• Like 1

On 1/19/2023 at 8:05 PM, NFLfan said:

• Buccaneers fired OC Byron Leftwich and Clyde Christensen

Patriots hired Bill O'Brien

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/19/2023 at 8:05 PM, NFLfan said:

• Buccaneers fired OC Byron Leftwich and Clyde Christensen

Correction:  Bucs fired Leftwich - Clyde Christensen retired.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, NFLfan said:

What did you think it would mean?

4 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Didn’t Reich fire Brady this season?

Yes.  That’s why I think it would mean that reich never wanted to fire him and it came from above.  Just speculating of course 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The Chargers have hired Kellen Moore. I knew he would not be unemployed for long. @richard pallo He is well thought of.

https://theathletic.com/4139074/2023/01/30/chargers-kellen-moore-offensive-coordinator?source=user-shared-article

Good for him.  But it appears the Cowboys were not happy with his play calling.  He had a loaded offensive roster and they were pretty ordinary and predictable.  Maybe a change of scenery will do him good.  Just not when we are playing him. 

On 1/19/2023 at 8:26 PM, NFLfan said:

I'm not sure. I will check. Thank you!

Any good DCs out there for the Vikes?

The Vikings should interview Brian Flores for DCoordinator!!

He did a great job in Miami - until the owner decided he "had to have" an offensive-minded coach.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sb41champs said:

The Vikings should interview Brian Flores for DCoordinator!!

He did a great job in Miami - until the owner decided he "had to have" an offensive-minded coach.

We interviewed him a while back... And we hired him today. The fan base seems happy with it. I was not sure how they would respond to him. We surely did not want Mike Pettine because he was already on staff and the defense was not successful this year. 

23 hours ago, NFLfan said:

We interviewed him a while back... And we hired him today. The fan base seems happy with it. I was not sure how they would respond to him. We surely did not want Mike Pettine because he was already on staff and the defense was not successful this year. 

I didn't realize that Brian Flores had interviewed in Minnesota. 

So - I was stunned when I mention it to you - and - he's hired.

HAHAHAHAHA!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...