Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Fly On The Wall-Defense

atapcl

The Colts have a voluntary mini camp this week that is closed to the public. It would be nice to have a fly on the wall that could observe the practice. Redding will probabley start at LDE but who will be on the depth chart at the other end? Moala, Nevis, and Matthews will all battle for that other spot and it would be interesting this week to learn who the coaches think have the edge to begin training camp. Matthews and Moala both played in a hybride system which gives them an edge. Moala's cousin, Ngata, played last year for Pagano in the Baltimore defense and could give Moala clues also giving Moala an edge. Another edge Moala has is he is taller with longer arms to block passing lanes. Nevis has a non stop motor and a quick first step to battle the other two. Who will start at corner opposite Powers? Rucker has size but not great speed or change of direction. Thomas has size and had speed prior to his knee injury but because of injuries he only started a couple of games in college and did not look good last year. Can the coaches bring out enough improvement to get a starter from one of them or must we draft a CB? Freeney and Mathis will man the OLB positions but who will start inside. Angerer and Conner made a lot of tackles but can they become feared ILBs? Will Hughes move to ILB to get a chance at starting? Bethea is a pro bowl level FS but who will be his running mate?

As of right now I'd have to say it would look like this below. Hopefully after the draft, some of this can change.

LE - Redding, Matthews

RE - Nevis, Moala

NT - McKinney, Johnson

LOLB - Mathis, Hughes

WILB - Conner, Edds

SILB - Angerer, Freeman

ROLB - Freeney, Harvey

CB - Powers, Rucker

FS - Bethea, Hines

SS - Zbikowski, Caldwell

As of right now I'd have to say it would look like this below. Hopefully after the draft, some of this can change.

LE - Redding, Matthews

RE - Nevis, Moala

NT - McKinney, Johnson

LOLB - Mathis, Hughes

WILB - Conner, Edds

SILB - Angerer, Freeman

ROLB - Freeney, Harvey

CB - Powers, Rucker

FS - Bethea, Hines

SS - Zbikowski, Caldwell

I think Moala has the edge over Nevis. Moala was a 3-4 DE in college and is better suited for that position. Nevis does not fit the mold of a 3-4 DE at all. He's only 6'1" and thats probably being generous and has short arms. You want a tall, long armed DE in the 3-4 to help swat down passes. Nevis will probably just be a situational DT when playing the 4-3. He can backup the DE but I just don't see him being the starter. Also, I don't see Matthews being long term for the roster. He is extremely slow and plays stiff. He'd be terrible as a 3-4 DE and he's not strong enough to play NT.

I think Moala has the edge over Nevis. Moala was a 3-4 DE in college and is better suited for that position. Nevis does not fit the mold of a 3-4 DE at all. He's only 6'1" and thats probably being generous and has short arms. You want a tall, long armed DE in the 3-4 to help swat down passes. Nevis will probably just be a situational DT when playing the 4-3. He can backup the DE but I just don't see him being the starter. Also, I don't see Matthews being long term for the roster. He is extremely slow and plays stiff. He'd be terrible as a 3-4 DE and he's not strong enough to play NT.

I'm not a huge Moala fan, but I'm not saying he couldn't do well on the edge. I think Nevis would be great as a 5 technique DE in the 3-4. He's 3 inches shorter than Redding but weigh pretty much the same. It depends on the situation I suppose. Nevis is more distruptive and gets into the backfield. Moala is more of a "ground-holder". Depends on the blitz scheme.

I agree with most of what you said except the part about Matthews being slow. He also played in a hybride defense at Cincinnatti at DE/DT and he added too much weight trying to move to DT only last year. He would have to lose about 10 of the pounds he gaind last year to get back to the 4.95 forty he ran on his pro day. I do believe Moala has the edge.

I agree with most of what you said except the part about Matthews being slow. He also played in a hybride defense at Cincinnatti at DE/DT and he added too much weight trying to move to DT only last year. He would have to lose about 10 of the pounds he gaind last year to get back to the 4.95 forty he ran on his pro day. I do believe Moala has the edge.

I agree that Matthews could lose weight and gain some speed back, but I still think he plays way too stiff. That could be as a result of him being too heavy for his frame though too.

A DE in a 3-4 doesnt just play a 5 tech. They play the 3,4, and 5 techs and Nevis 6'2 294 is head over heels better than Moala who is 6'4 303. Nevis is a playmaker he has to be on the field

This is why we need that fly on the wall to give us a feel for what the coaches think. Unless we get rumors or a leak from one of the coaches we will have to wait until training camp to see how things play out.

Man...Brockers, Worthey, or Poe would look lovely on that front 7! I have been a real proponent of a CB in round 2 but given the value that is likely to be there at 34 at the DT position it would be very hard for me to pass on a beast to line up. With that we would have a stout rotation. I don't think Moala or Nevis is the real answer at the other DT position and we know in the 3-4 those DTs are extremely important. This would allow them to rotate in and also spell McKinney at NT and us switch to 4-3 in those instances.

I know it isn't flashy but man those big uglies really are what takes over games. A DT or DE/OLB in round 2 and OG in round 3 and then we can follow that with needs with the rest of our picks at TE,WR,CB and I think we would have pretty solid trench play. I think we could find value in the middle rounds to mold into solid players at the skill positions.

LE - Redding, Matthews

RE - Nevis, Moala

NT - McKinney, Johnson

LOLB - Mathis, Hughes

WILB - Conner, Edds

SILB - Angerer, Freeman

ROLB - Freeney, Harvey

CB - Powers, Rucker

FS - Bethea, Hines

SS - Zbikowski, Caldwell

I hope it changes. Playing defense with 10 guys may not work out too well.

Man...Brockers, Worthey, or Poe would look lovely on that front 7! I have been a real proponent of a CB in round 2 but given the value that is likely to be there at 34 at the DT position it would be very hard for me to pass on a beast to line up. With that we would have a stout rotation. I don't think Moala or Nevis is the real answer at the other DT position and we know in the 3-4 those DTs are extremely important. This would allow them to rotate in and also spell McKinney at NT and us switch to 4-3 in those instances.

I know it isn't flashy but man those big uglies really are what takes over games. A DT or DE/OLB in round 2 and OG in round 3 and then we can follow that with needs with the rest of our picks at TE,WR,CB and I think we would have pretty solid trench play. I think we could find value in the middle rounds to mold into solid players at the skill positions.

I would have to side with you in choosing a WORTHY DT with the 2nd pick over a corner. Great 3-4 defenses usually has great NTs. If not, hopefully McKinney can hold down the fort for the 2012 season.

I would have to side with you in choosing a WORTHY DT with the 2nd pick over a corner. Great 3-4 defenses usually has great NTs. If not, hopefully McKinney can hold down the fort for the 2012 season.

If worthy is there...man you gotta jump on that lol. That guy is a beast. NT is where it starts in a 3-4. Plenty of corner depth later on. Also need to keep in mind that we have a new QB and he needs some new weapons to help him. WR in 3rd or 4th would be ideal.

I think if Brockers is gone then it will come down to Guard or Corner, I think he commented on the Offensive Line if I remember right but I dont remember if he commented on Corner yet, I really dont expect Fleener to be their, Id probably pass on him for a Orsen Charles or Dwayne Allen or Ladarius Green if he was

If worthy is there...man you gotta jump on that lol. That guy is a beast. NT is where it starts in a 3-4. Plenty of corner depth later on. Also need to keep in mind that we have a new QB and he needs some new weapons to help him. WR in 3rd or 4th would be ideal.

Worthy is a Defensive End in a 3-4

Worthy is a Defensive End in a 3-4

Great! We need one of those too.

I think Worthy can come in and play NT. You don't have to be 350lbs to play the position. Worthy is a solid 6'2" and 308lbs. He would be a great pickup at #34 and could play NT and DT for our hybrid defense. And yes, even moved out to be a 5 tech DE in the 3-4 if we wanted to use him there. Smaller guys have been successful at the NT position. See Jay Ratliff 6'4" 297lbs.

I think he'd fit in well there or Derek Wolfe

Sorry Gavin, I further elaborated my thoughts on Worthy after my initial post. Wolfe would be a great pickup too! I've seen Kiper has him in the first round and other big boards have him as low as a 5th rounder!?! It's hard to peg exactly where to get him.

But we could also get sacks through great coverage as well, if no ones open Quarterbacks are gonna hang onto the ball longer thats why we need a shutdown Corner or at least another Corner, Im starting to think Jenkins doesnt get it actually, I still say if he is their he is worth thinking about right up to the end of the time limit but at the same time I dont think he gets it

Worthy is a DT4-3 or DE 3-4. I will be honest I don't see us playing much 3-4 except when Mckinney is on the field. Either way he would be a terrific fit as would Brockers. Poe (like Jenkins) if he fell to me is a coaches choice. I wouldn't be upset one way or the other with taking him. If the coaches think they can handle them (coach them up/keep out of trouble) then they have great potential but if they don't then I'm fine. We get players that we can work with. There will be a great player here. Somebody falls to us.

Now if we pass him up in the second and hes there in the third I would jump on it but the second Im not so sure, I like his cockiness though

Whoa! Never thought I'd see those words typed from you! I agree. 3rd round...absolute steal. 2nd round...big risk. We've gotta nail this draft.

Whoa! Never thought I'd see those words typed from you! I agree. 3rd round...absolute steal. 2nd round...big risk. We've gotta nail this draft.

with that said Id spend every minute I had debating on that at number 2 though. cause if you bring in another Corner your likely not looking at that Corner being a number one and certainly not a shut down Corner and you certainly need one given this is a passing league now

with that said Id spend every minute I had debating on that at number 2 though. cause if you bring in another Corner your likely not looking at that Corner being a number one and certainly not a shut down Corner and you certainly need one given this is a passing league now

To be fair, I acknowledge Jenkins as a top 10 talent. There are just simply too many red flags to make me want to take him that early. I wouldn't be horrified if we took him in the 2nd, I would just not be confident that he would stay out of trouble. I think Grigson echoed that thought about not having to worry about someone when he wasn't looking. So...I dunno. He's talented, but I'd be happier getting him in the 3rd.

To be fair, I acknowledge Jenkins as a top 10 talent. There are just simply too many red flags to make me want to take him that early. I wouldn't be horrified if we took him in the 2nd, I would just not be confident that he would stay out of trouble. I think Grigson echoed that thought about not having to worry about someone when he wasn't looking. So...I dunno. He's talented, but I'd be happier getting him in the 3rd.

yeah Grigson has some major decisions at that second spot

It isn't so much what we get in Jenkins as what we pass up at the top of round 2 to take that chance. What we pass up at the top of round 3 is not nearly as bad.

It isn't so much what we get in Jenkins as what we pass up at the top of round 2 to take that chance. What we pass up at the top of round 3 is not nearly as bad.

Bill Parcells said he would NOT take Jenkins simply because of the red flags. I agree.

10 guys on defense now couldn't possibly be worse than 11 last year right? :)

sorry...i didn't split CB's out into RCB and LCB...figured people would pick up on it.

I was just joking with you. Actually, that lineup doesn't look that bad, if Rucker and/or Thomas develop. It's going to take a little while for guys to learn the new D, but if Houston could turn it around so fast then I have hope for us.

I was just joking with you. Actually, that lineup doesn't look that bad, if Rucker and/or Thomas develop. It's going to take a little while for guys to learn the new D, but if Houston could turn it around so fast then I have hope for us.

I know. I tried to be tongue in cheek with my response but I guess sarcasm doesn't come off in text as well as it does in person lol. I agree with you especially with Rucker. I think he's gonna improve a lot in the off season.

Also, I just watched a video of Pagano being interviewed during mini camp. There is a clip of Redding, Hickman and Nevis jogging off the field together. I've been out of football for a long time, but I have to think that they still stay in positional groups at these camps.If that's any indication... I'm looking forward to seeing Nevis on the edge.

I know. I tried to be tongue in cheek with my response but I guess sarcasm doesn't come off in text as well as it does in person lol. I agree with you especially with Rucker. I think he's gonna improve a lot in the off season.

Also, I just watched a video of Pagano being interviewed during mini camp. There is a clip of Redding, Hickman and Nevis jogging off the field together. I've been out of football for a long time, but I have to think that they still stay in positional groups at these camps.If that's any indication... I'm looking forward to seeing Nevis on the edge.

I would like to get another healthy young corner in there to compete because of all the injuries we have had. Hopefully a couple of them step up and surprise us. As for the defense I love Nevis' motor but he just doesn't quite have the talent to dominate. He is a perfect backup in my opinion. He makes the most of his time on the field and gives the offense fits. He keeps the pressure on when our starter comes out. However, if he is on the field for a majority of the game I fear he won't have the same affect. That is why I would look very closely at a DT if one of those expected first rounders fall to us. Get us in a rotation of young and explosive DTs and that makes Freeney and Mathis job coming off the edge a lot easier. I would just crap myself if Brockers fell to us but someone like Worthey would be fine too. Suddenly that defensive line isn't getting pushed around as much and it goes from a question mark to a strength....allowing us to focus at upgrading other positions.

I would like to get another healthy young corner in there to compete because of all the injuries we have had. Hopefully a couple of them step up and surprise us. As for the defense I love Nevis' motor but he just doesn't quite have the talent to dominate. He is a perfect backup in my opinion. He makes the most of his time on the field and gives the offense fits. He keeps the pressure on when our starter comes out. However, if he is on the field for a majority of the game I fear he won't have the same affect. That is why I would look very closely at a DT if one of those expected first rounders fall to us. Get us in a rotation of young and explosive DTs and that makes Freeney and Mathis job coming off the edge a lot easier. I would just crap myself if Brockers fell to us but someone like Worthey would be fine too. Suddenly that defensive line isn't getting pushed around as much and it goes from a question mark to a strength....allowing us to focus at upgrading other positions.

Brockers would be ridiculous to think about lol. But yeah I agree. Corner is a need. Later. I agree that we need a NT early.