Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Yannick's cross chop

CR91

I loved the trade but u have to ask yourself a couple of  questions. Why were the Raiders willing to trade him for a #2 corner? Why hasn't he been able to stick with any teams even though putting some admirable sack #'s? He is a one tick pony. The major critism I hear about him is that he refuses to play the run.  He runs around and by the qb to many times for a lot of teams liking. I don't think the Colts resign him. They r hoping that Paye can develop and take over that spot next year. Yannick will probably put up some good #'s this year. However, I think when they sit down and watch  the tape it will show he still has some glaring holes. History tells us this.

13 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I loved the trade but u have to ask yourself a couple of  questions. Why were the Raiders willing to trade him for a #2 corner? Why hasn't he been able to stick with any teams even though putting some admirable sack #'s? He is a one tick pony. The major critism I hear about him is that he refuses to play the run.  He runs around and by the qb to many times for a lot of teams liking. I don't think the Colts resign him. They r hoping that Paye can develop and take over that spot next year. Yannick will probably put up some good #'s this year. However, I think when they sit down and watch  the tape it will show he still has some glaring holes. History tells us this.

The issue with your premise is this.... He's playing a position, for a coach..... That wants him to do precisely that.... Sell out for the QB, and if you find a ball carrier on your way to the QB, BONUS .....  If Bradley were still coaching Vegas.....we'd probably still have Rock, and be leaning more on hope and prayer to bolster our pass rush ...

16 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I could care less about Yannick's lack of run defense. It's a passing league and Yannick is a guarantee 8 sacks and 70 QB pressures. Look at the QBs we're facing this year. Mahomes, Herbert, Wilson, Carr, Dak, Hurts, Cousins, Wentz. We need pass rush

21 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

The trade did come right after(next day) the  Raiders picked up Chandler Jones. 

Probably played a major role in the deal. They already have Crosby and needed CB, Colts were rumored to be in running for Jones, instead scooped up Ngakoue once they realized we were missing out on Jones. Great move to slide in and upgrade our pass rush.

Will we re-sign him? Hopefully, but time will tell. He fills a huge need for us, and makes our secondary better as well. Less time to cover.

Will say I think those deals worked out great for both teams.

Raiders - Jones(FA upgrade) and Ya-Sin

Colts - Ngakoue and Gilmore(FA upgrade)

4 hours ago, w87r said:

The trade did come right after(next day) the  Raiders picked up Chandler Jones. 

Probably played a major role in the deal. They already have Crosby and needed CB, Colts were rumored to be in running for Jones, instead scooped up Ngakoue once they realized we were missing out on Jones. Great move to slide in and upgrade our pass rush.

Will we re-sign him? Hopefully, but time will tell. He fills a huge need for us, and makes our secondary better as well. Less time to cover.

Will say I think those deals worked out great for both teams.

Raiders - Jones(FA upgrade) and Ya-Sin

Colts - Ngakoue and Gilmore(FA upgrade)

They still let Yannick go to sign Chandler who is older I believe. I lived the trade. All I am saying is Yannick is what he is. Teams have been willing to say good bye even tough he puts ip some good sack numbers. There is a reason for that when rush ends earn premium money with his kind of stats. He is flawed, but I still like the trade. Just don't get mad at  your tv when he doesn't stop the run or continuously runs by and/or around the qb lol. It is what he is.

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

I could care less about Yannick's lack of run defense. It's a passing league and Yannick is a guarantee 8 sacks and 70 QB pressures. Look at the QBs we're facing this year. Mahomes, Herbert, Wilson, Carr, Dak, Hurts, Cousins, Wentz. We need pass rush

I do agree it's a passing league,  but although he puts ip good sack numbers, he runs by and around the qb a lot. Just remember that what u said when he continually gets gashed by the run. I doubt u will have the same attitude when the rb runs by him play after play for big yardage. And contrary to flawed thinking out there, u  still have to stop the run.

13 hours ago, Jackie Daytona said:

The issue with your premise is this.... He's playing a position, for a coach..... That wants him to do precisely that.... Sell out for the QB, and if you find a ball carrier on your way to the QB, BONUS .....  If Bradley were still coaching Vegas.....we'd probably still have Rock, and be leaning more on hope and prayer to bolster our pass rush ...

Yea that is the philosophy of this D line. Attack the qb and if u happen to get the running back on the way there....bonus.The only issue with Yankick is that he runs himself out of a lot of passing and run plays. I like the player for this scheme, but he definitely has flaws.

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I do agree it's a passing league,  but although he puts ip good sack numbers, he runs by and around the qb a lot. Just remember that what u said when he continually gets gashed by the run. I doubt u will have the same attitude when the rb runs by him play after play for big yardage. And contrary to flawed thinking out there, u  still have to stop the run.

People didn't seem to care when that happened to Freeney and Mathis 

25 minutes ago, CR91 said:

People didn't seem to care when that happened to Freeney and Mathis 

Well u had Peyton Manning get big leads so Mathis and Freeney could simply rush the passer. Things did change when teams just decided to pound the rock and keep Peyton on bench.  I like the trade don't get me wrong, but he is just a flawed player. He has been on many teams and still  having put up good sack numbers.

47 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well u had Peyton Manning get big leads so Mathis and Freeney could simply rush the passer. Things did change when teams just decided to pound the rock and keep Peyton on bench.  I like the trade don't get me wrong, but he is just a flawed player. He has been on many teams and still  having put up good sack numbers.

I'm not saying this offense is Peyton Manning explosive, but we were one of the highest scoring offenses after week 4

8 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

They still let Yannick go to sign Chandler who is older I believe. I lived the trade. All I am saying is Yannick is what he is. Teams have been willing to say good bye even tough he puts ip some good sack numbers. There is a reason for that when rush ends earn premium money with his kind of stats. He is flawed, but I still like the trade. Just don't get mad at  your tv when he doesn't stop the run or continuously runs by and/or around the qb lol. It is what he is.

He was traded to Vikings where he had 5 sacks in 6 games but the team started 1-5 and elected to recoup some value on a guy that probably wasn't going to sign long term for them.  Yannick didn't feel the Ravens utilized him well enough so he signed 2 year deal with Raiders. Then he played for Oakland last year and had 10 sacks, they acquired Jones, make that what you will, but Jones has been one lf best pass rushers in league for a while, yes is older but still has some game left in him. Raiders upgraded 2 positions with Jones signing and Ngakoue trade. 

I think everyone understands your point about the run, but as was mentioned, Freeney was pretty much the same thing. There will be draws and screens to his side of the field, but we have Leonard and Bobby back there to clean it up. Not to mention Buck and Grover as well.

I think saying there is a reason teams were willing to say goodbye isn't really telling the whole story.. Things aren't always so cut and dry.

Jags - he was tagged, wanted out

Vikings - started 1-5, moved on got draft picks back for guy who would of been walking at end of season

Ravens - really wasn't a good fit for their scheme, did they move on or did he?

Raiders - signed a guy just as good, arguably a little better. So they upgraded their secondary by moving him on to us.

On 7/22/2022 at 8:32 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

We didn't bring him in to stop the run. We brought him in to rush the qb. Something that was needed badly and is a necessity in today's league. More pass rushers the better. We have guys like Buckner and Leonard that can stop the run.

11 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We didn't bring him in to stop the run. We brought him in to rush the qb. Something that was needed badly and is a necessity in today's league. More pass rushers the better. We have guys like Buckner and Leonard that can stop the run.

Not if the rb keeps going thru his gap. That's what teams will r ploit but I,still Iike the trade.

Just now, OffensivelyPC said:

How does the hand even stay in tact lol.  That looks so freaking painful.

I thought the same thing haha . How you been man? The season is almost here and I haven't been this hyped since we have had Andrew. This arguably could be the best roster we have had since 2009 if players like Pierce and Woods even play just above average as rookies. Hopefully Leonard is getting near 100%. Hines IMO is about to have a huge year with Matt as his QB.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought the same thing haha . How you been man? The season is almost here and I haven't been this hyped since we have had Andrew. This arguably could be the best roster we have had since 2009 if players like Pierce and Woods even play just above average as rookies. Hopefully Leonard is getting near 100%. Hines IMO is about to have a huge year with Matt as his QB.

Been good.  I'm more excited this year as well.  I mean I was excited when we brought over Wentz but acknowledged he might not work out, which he obviously never worked out.  At least with Matt Ryan, he's been doing it for long enough and put his team in a position to win the Superbowl before the team around him collapsed.  I think Keefer said it best - Wentz made the position look harder than it needed to be, Ryan will take whats there as long as you give him time and the receiver gets open.

I expect to at least win the division and if we don't, I think Reich is on the hot seat, maybe even deserving of getting fired.  I mean there's no reason Houston or Jacksonville should win it, and as long as we split with the Titans, there's no reason we should win less than 9 or 10 games.  Ngakoue is a clear upgrade and will do wonders next to Buckner.   Our WR corps is not the strongest, but Pittman is a good enough target that he should be the clear #1.  Pierce I expect big things from, but he's uproven until further notice.  I've given up on Campbell staying healthy.  As long as we stay relatively healthy, My biggest question lies in the secondary.  Did we do enough to address the leaky coverage issues or are we going to have to rely on turnovers on defense?  Matt Ryan may be able to win in a shootout with Indy's WRs, but if we can keep a lid defending the pass, it'll get exposed and we'll be first round exits from the playoffs.

16 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Been good.  I'm more excited this year as well.  I mean I was excited when we brought over Wentz but acknowledged he might not work out, which he obviously never worked out.  At least with Matt Ryan, he's been doing it for long enough and put his team in a position to win the Superbowl before the team around him collapsed.  I think Keefer said it best - Wentz made the position look harder than it needed to be, Ryan will take whats there as long as you give him time and the receiver gets open.

I expect to at least win the division and if we don't, I think Reich is on the hot seat, maybe even deserving of getting fired.  I mean there's no reason Houston or Jacksonville should win it, and as long as we split with the Titans, there's no reason we should win less than 9 or 10 games.  Ngakoue is a clear upgrade and will do wonders next to Buckner.   Our WR corps is not the strongest, but Pittman is a good enough target that he should be the clear #1.  Pierce I expect big things from, but he's uproven until further notice.  I've given up on Campbell staying healthy.  As long as we stay relatively healthy, My biggest question lies in the secondary.  Did we do enough to address the leaky coverage issues or are we going to have to rely on turnovers on defense?  Matt Ryan may be able to win in a shootout with Indy's WRs, but if we can keep a lid defending the pass, it'll get exposed and we'll be first round exits from the playoffs.

The Gilmore signing hopefully pays off, I think it will help our Secondary. Yeah I was a sleep because I work nights when we traded for Matt Ryan - I checked my phone and a friend had texted me "we got freakin Matt Ryan". I thought it was a hoax at first so I checked ESPN and NFL Network, then came here and it was true! At that point I was like let the games begin now, he has a Rivers vibe but a little younger, I can't wait for the season brother.

Archived