Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

REICH/MANNING/RYAN

QB Master

GEICO 15 Bold Statement On NFL Latest

x

The Indianapolis Colts are starting a new era in their franchise with former Atlanta Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan taking over the role of QB1 for the team. While Ryan is still settling into his new role, he is earning plenty of respect from Colts coach Frank Reich. While talking about Ryan recently, Reich compared Ryan to Colts legend Peyton Manning, who he coached early in his career.

“Matt’s an incredibly smart guy,” Reich said, according to CBS Sports. “But one of the things I’ve continued to be impressed by — he doesn't want to expand things, he wants to consolidate things. It’s a little bit Peyton-esque like that: ‘Don’t try to overcoach, don’t get too cute, don’t try to overscheme, let’s just run the same things over and over again.’ That’s how I’ve been brought up in this league. In an age where everyone wants to talk about how smart the coaches are, or the quarterback is, and all the ways that you can scheme, and do this and that … and those are all important things, (but) Matt is old school, and I’m a little bit old school like this, too.

“It’s like this, rather than always trying to scheme things up where one guy’s open, the play is designed so if the quarterback can work his progressions, somebody’s going to be open.”

Of course, comparing anyone to Manning is a huge thing to do, especially the current quarterback of the Colts. During Manning’s 13 years with Indianapolis, he won a Super Bowl, four MVP honors, was All-Pro eight times, a Pro Bowl pick 11 times and led the league in passing yards twice. But while Ryan might never be that decorated, his own history proves he can win in Indianapolis.

The ACC Player of the Year and Manning Award winner, among other honors, in 2007, Ryan started his NFL career as the starting quarterback for Atlanta in 2008. Ryan started 14 or more games every year for the Falcons during his time with them. Ryan has been named to four Pro Bowl rosters, and was the NFL MVP in 2016 during his career, which was also the same season that he nearly became a Super Bowl champion.

Frank: Lets try the Hines up the middle play

Matt: Its 3rd and 7. We should run a comeback just past the first down line. 

Frank: They wont ever expect Hines up the middle!!

Matt: Frank, Im here to save your job dont be cute. 

Frank: You think Im cute??

Matt: Shut up and run the play I said. Tell media I told you to so I know you understand. 

Comparing Matt Ryan to Peyton isn't as crazy as it seems. It is because of his film study and leadership that comparison is going on. Yeah I have Peyton in my top 3 QB's of all-time along with Tommy and Montana. Ryan makes my top 25, big difference compared to top 3, but top 25 out of thousands in 100 years of football is damn great. Ryan's accuracy has always been top notch as well + his durability. Ryan is a lot like Rivers, never had the right team to win it all. Yeah in 2016 the Falcons arguably had the team and then their defense was what everyone thought they were = stink city. If you have a D that can't hold a 28-3 lead, that is on the D unless your offense just turns it over a lot, Ryan didn't play well in that 4th Qtr but it wasn't like he was giving the Pats great field position with turnovers.

This season is going to be a good one, maybe great?? I see a division championship and 1 playoff win at worse if we stay healthy.

5 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Comparing Matt Ryan to Peyton isn't as crazy as it seems. It is because of his film study and leadership that comparison is going on. Yeah I have Peyton in my top 3 QB's of all-time along with Tommy and Montana. Ryan makes my top 25, big difference compared to top 3, but top 25 out of thousands in 100 years of football is damn great. Ryan's accuracy has always been top notch as well + his durability. Ryan is a lot like Rivers, never had the right team to win it all. Yeah in 2016 the Falcons arguably had the team and then their defense was what everyone thought they were = stink city. If you have a D that can't hold a 28-3 lead, that is on the D unless your offense just turns it over a lot, Ryan didn't play well in that 4th Qtr but it wasn't like he was giving the Pats great field position with turnovers.

This season is going to be a good one, maybe great?? I see a division championship and 1 playoff win at worse if we stay healthy.

That would be a fantastic year!!

On 6/15/2022 at 12:49 PM, cjrulli said:

Love it. Keep it simple stupid. Matt will take the layups, scheme helps in the right circumstances but get the damn ball into player makers hands and let them work. 

So throw the quick out to the players moms on the sidelines is what you're saying?? 

Lol

Archived