Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pat McAfee Is Now A Wrestler?!

King Colt

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Scripted and premeditated is the definition of "fake" if we're talking about "sports".

Not saying professional wrestling doesn't require hard work or skill. 

PS.... I have a pic of me as a tiny kid with D the Bruiser and BB. 

Their bodies also take a beating after years of  repetition. Hulk Hogan had multiple back surgeries due to leg drops. Stone Cold career cut due to a botch job. There’s also occasional freak accidents like Sid Vicious broken leg.

Generally something else about Wrestlers is that they have a shorter life compared to other "sport" professions. A lot of wrestlers are on pain killers, drugs, drink in particular, or do lots of dangerous moves to damage their bodies to entertain the crowds. Older wrestlers have fallen quickly. Younger wrestlers don't live the party lifestyle anymore, but they do more dangerous flips, kicks, and dives, and are more suspectible to injury that way.

Wrestling is also less popular than ever now. WWE caters to the casuals and AEW and the indies caters to the hardcore wrestling fans who like match quality. It's not like in the 90s anymore when wrestling was at its peak and it was the subject kids talked about at school the next day. Now, matches are ruined, debuts are ruined, and it's hard to keep secrets anymore from the general population, not to mention wrestlers have twitter and social media accounts and like to interact with the fans and talk about their everyday lives.

You have to go in with the mindset that wrestling is scripted and predetermined, and it's like a movie where there's a story and you are following it, looking for a payoff (maybe your favorite wrestling becoming a champion at the end of a feud). People don't have patience in wrestling now, and they'll get upset if their wrestler loses a match to someone perceived worse than them, or lose their debut match etc...

Like football, in wrestling, everyone is an expert now, and because of twitter, everyone has an opinion on the matter.

In McAfee's case, I wish him an injury-free career and I hope he has fun with it. Someone like him provides entertainment and star power to me on a show where a lot of the legends have retired.

7 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Generally something else about Wrestlers is that they have a shorter life compared to other "sport" professions. A lot of wrestlers are on pain killers, drugs, drink in particular, or do lots of dangerous moves to damage their bodies to entertain the crowds. Older wrestlers have fallen quickly. Younger wrestlers don't live the party lifestyle anymore, but they do more dangerous flips, kicks, and dives, and are more suspectible to injury that way.

Wrestling is also less popular than ever now. WWE caters to the casuals and AEW and the indies caters to the hardcore wrestling fans who like match quality. It's not like in the 90s anymore when wrestling was at its peak and it was the subject kids talked about at school the next day. Now, matches are ruined, debuts are ruined, and it's hard to keep secrets anymore from the general population, not to mention wrestlers have twitter and social media accounts and like to interact with the fans and talk about their everyday lives.

You have to go in with the mindset that wrestling is scripted and predetermined, and it's like a movie where there's a story and you are following it, looking for a payoff (maybe your favorite wrestling becoming a champion at the end of a feud). People don't have patience in wrestling now, and they'll get upset if their wrestler loses a match to someone perceived worse than them, or lose their debut match etc...

Like football, in wrestling, everyone is an expert now, and because of twitter, everyone has an opinion on the matter.

In McAfee's case, I wish him an injury-free career and I hope he has fun with it. Someone like him provides entertainment and star power to me on a show where a lot of the legends have retired.

Some people laugh at Wrestling but they have had some fantastic well conditioned athlete's over the years. Dick 'the Bruiser', Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, The Rock, Undertaker, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, and so on. I doubt anyone would want to meet any of those guys in a dark alley late at night lmao . The matches are predetermined but these guys have sacrificed their bodies and they have worked out 3 or 4 hours a day throughout their career's.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Some people laugh at Wrestling but they have had some fantastic well conditioned athlete's over the years. Dick 'the Bruiser', Ric Flair, Hulk Hogan, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, The Rock, Undertaker, Steve Austin, Brock Lesnar, and so on. I doubt anyone would want to meet any of those guys in a dark alley late at night lmao . The matches are predetermined but these guys have sacrificed their bodies and they have worked out 3 or 4 hours a day throughout their career's.

They are also all full of steroids.

I used to watch but haven't in many years, just too corny for me.  That's just my view, everyone can make their own choice.   

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Agreed. Some of the older guys worked 300 days a year as well. Flair in particular had worked two hour long matches in the same day in two different territories. He was a drinker, but he was in amazing shape, and nobody was better over a 35 year span than Ric Flair. Other than the airplane crash in 75, he had no real injuies IMO that derailed his career, and he had longevity. Lesnar and Lashley are legit, Matt Riddle is another legit MMA fighter that made the transition to WWE. Rick Rude was very tough, the Steiners, the Road Warriors, even the refs were trained to handle situations in case fans interfered in matches (which happened in the earlier days).

Wrestlers are a lot smaller in size today, and the average fan is probably as big as them. Though there are more measures now to protect the wrestlers, and less fans try to get in the ring. They more try to do things either in crowd chants or saying things on social media.

Just now, Myles said:

I used to watch but haven't in many years, just too corny for me.  That's just my view, everyone can make their own choice.   

The old wrestlers did steroids a lot. The new wrestlers don't because it's a lot more about match quality now, and they don't get judged on their look as much anymore. The new problem is all the high spots and hardcore matches where they injure themselves entertaining the fans. It's like once you do something, then you have to top it, over and over again. I'm not a fan of that, as I generally care about their well-being over looking cool.

Just now, Myles said:

I haven't watched in years but I know who is still in the game. 80's was my decade for watching. Hulk Hogan, Zeus, Andre the Giant, Macho Man, Ultimate Warrior, Ric Flair. I enjoyed it as a kid in my teens. I loved when Mr T boxed Rowdy Roddy Piper in Wrestle Mania. I am a fan of the Rock, I don't think he has ever made a bad movie either. He played college football at Miami when Miami was good.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. Some of the older guys worked 300 days a year as well. Flair in particular had worked two hour long matches in the same day in two different territories. He was a drinker, but he was in amazing shape, and nobody was better over a 35 year span than Ric Flair. Other than the airplane crash in 75, he had no real injuies IMO that derailed his career, and he had longevity. Lesnar and Lashley are legit, Matt Riddle is another legit MMA fighter that made the transition to WWE. Rick Rude was very tough, the Steiners, the Road Warriors, even the refs were trained to handle situations in case fans interfered in matches (which happened in the earlier days).

Wrestlers are a lot smaller in size today, and the average fan is probably as big as them. Though there are more measures now to protect the wrestlers, and less fans try to get in the ring. They more try to do things either in crowd chants or saying things on social media.

Rick Rude was the perfect athlete, good call. Road Warriors were an awesome tag team as well.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Rick Rude was the perfect athlete, good call. Road Warriors were an awesome tag team as well.

I appreciate the older wrestlers the older I get. I'm all about Charisma, Personality, Mic Skills, and drawing power in wrestling. Match quality is nice, but it's probably the least important thing IMO. Rick Rude was pure entertaining. So were the Road Warriors. I enjoyed the Road Warriors and demolition back in the early days of my life. Curt Hennig, Ted Dibiase, and Rick Martel were other wrestlers who were underrated and should of been champion if Hogan and Savage weren't dominating the scene at that time.

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I appreciate the older wrestlers the older I get. I'm all about Charisma, Personality, Mic Skills, and drawing power in wrestling. Match quality is nice, but it's probably the least important thing IMO. Rick Rude was pure entertaining. So were the Road Warriors. I enjoyed the Road Warriors and demolition back in the early days of my life. Curt Hennig, Ted Dibiase, and Rick Martel were other wrestlers who were underrated and should of been champion if Hogan and Savage weren't dominating the scene at that time.

Mr Wonderful Paul Orndorff was another good one. I followed it closely from around the late 70's through part of the 90's - it was fun to watch. I still follow it a tad, isn't Roman Reigns the champ right now?

@Jared Cisneros I agree with a lot of your comments on this topic, thanks for your well thought out views that don’t insult today’s wrestlers and give a good analysis of the wrestling world today. I have not seen Pat as I only watch AEW (and some of the indies occasionally). I totally get it that (like most things) everyone has their favorite “era” of the sport and it is not for everyone today. Just wanted to give you a shout out for your on-point comments even if you aren’t a fan of it these days.

Baby Reaction GIF

Many ex NFL players come to mind when I think  about professional wrestling:  Ernie the Big Cat Ladd, Wahoo McDaniels, Flying Brian Pillman, Steve McMichael and Manny Fernandez just to name some of the more notable ones.  If there is was a place for them in professional wrestling when it was more realistic and less scripted than what is called sports entertainment today then I see no reason Pat McAfee can't become a professional wrestler.  He certainly has the gift for gab that is needed to handle the microphone.

On 4/22/2022 at 8:13 AM, JediXMan said:

Their bodies also take a beating after years of  repetition. Hulk Hogan had multiple back surgeries due to leg drops. Stone Cold career cut due to a botch job. There’s also occasional freak accidents like Sid Vicious broken leg.

My farmer grandfather watched wrastlin every weekend down on the farm. I was down there most weekends in the summer growing up. One of the kids I grew up, his father worked in the armory and was good friends with DtB and his son in law (I think was part of a tag team called the Fabulous Ones). Lots of injuries happened, and a lot of good "stories" lol. 

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

My farmer grandfather watched wrastlin every weekend down on the farm. I was down there most weekends in the summer growing up. One of the kids I grew up, his father worked in the armory and was good friends with DtB and his son in law (I think was part of a tag team called the Fabulous Ones). Lots of injuries happened, and a lot of good "stories" lol. 

Haven’t seen you here in a while how’s it going? 

11 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

Haven’t seen you here in a while how’s it going? 

All great! Just taking a break from football. Trying to overcome the feeling of "meh" lol....

Still pretty meh, and hoping the draft would pump me up. So far, not pumped lol. 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

All great! Just taking a break from football. Trying to overcome the feeling of "meh" lol....

Still pretty meh, and hoping the draft would pump me up. So far, not pumped lol. 

I’m also not on here as much this offseason from a job promotion and other things I’m dealing with. Hopefully when the season picks up I’ll be excited for Colts football. Looks like the Colts O is finally get the Jolt it desperately needs. 

5 minutes ago, JediXMan said:

I’m also not on here as much this offseason from a job promotion and other things I’m dealing with. Hopefully when the season picks up I’ll be excited for Colts football. Looks like the Colts O is finally get the Jolt it desperately needs. 

Congrats bro on the promo!!!!!

I love Ryan, always have. But it just feels like another short term place holder to me. 

And still not sure we have the WR/TE types to make him successful. Still lacking outside speed. 

Love the OT pick up though. Project, and will take a while, but good value.

I'm still a bit surprised Ballard didn't grab Willis lol.. or another QB given the late availability. 

Archived