Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Win and we are in 1st Place

Caffrey

We'd be tied for first but would have the early season tie breaker with the Titans.  So like all games, this is another big game.  Remember Reich's 1st year, we went 1-5, then went on a run to make the playoffs and at the end of the season, Reich held up #32 in the locker room, as that is what the experts had us in the power ratings, last in the league.  What do those experts know.  Last season, we lost in our first game to the worse team in the NFL and still made the playoffs.  So far, at least the we lost to 2 playoff caliber teams and we still had our chances.

With the 17 game season, I say we or any team needs a 12-5 or no worse than 11-6 to make the playoffs.  We just need a win, get on a role and momentum.   I never give up hope until we are mathematically eliminated.  I felt the same way when we were 1-5, and back in 1975 as a Baltimore Colts fan, starting 1-4, then QB Bert Jones led us to 9 straight wins and a 10-4 Division Champion.  To bad the Pittsburgh Steeler team of the century stopped our roll in the playoffs, but it was a fun run.

I would not bet on us to win this game in the shape we are in right now, but to your point I will post this example of a team stepping up when nothing has gone their way for a lot longer than 2 games. Sorry, didn't realize the vid wouldn't imbed.

It's from the 97 Colts game 12

5 hours ago, Caffrey said:

We'd be tied for first but would have the early season tie breaker with the Titans.  So like all games, this is another big game.  Remember Reich's 1st year, we went 1-5, then went on a run to make the playoffs and at the end of the season, Reich held up #32 in the locker room, as that is what the experts had us in the power ratings, last in the league.  What do those experts know.  Last season, we lost in our first game to the worse team in the NFL and still made the playoffs.  So far, at least the we lost to 2 playoff caliber teams and we still had our chances.

With the 17 game season, I say we or any team needs a 12-5 or no worse than 11-6 to make the playoffs.  We just need a win, get on a role and momentum.   I never give up hope until we are mathematically eliminated.  I felt the same way when we were 1-5, and back in 1975 as a Baltimore Colts fan, starting 1-4, then QB Bert Jones led us to 9 straight wins and a 10-4 Division Champion.  To bad the Pittsburgh Steeler team of the century stopped our roll in the playoffs, but it was a fun run.

Yep.  Bert Jones, the “Sack Pack” and the players holding hands in the huddle.   Great days!

I'm not running away from this post.  We had a shot but was not good enough today.

On the other end of the spectrum, we are in last place.  Hopefully we got our first win against Miami next week. 

Now I know hindsight is 20/20 but I question if Wentz should have played.  It was obvious he was gimpy and affected his play and decision making although he did a commendable job playing with his injury.

We had a chance to get him under the 75% of plays to avoid giving up a 1st round draft choice.

Also is we had started Hundley or Eason, the outcome could not be any worse, maybe a win.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• Why does Steichen play calling remind me so much of Frank Reich? 3 runs up the middle, then call a screen on 3rd and 17. He's had some really bad series play calling wise these last few games.  Speaking of, how is this team still so bad at running/defending screens still??    Franklin needs to be benched. That dude is doing his best Shaq Leonard impression and and he flat out sucks.    It would be nice to see a TE pass once a game for crying out loud.    That was a game of who's QB is less crappy. (not sure ours was better tbh) but that was brutal to watch.    AR has got to figure out his footwork. These sailing balls are out of control and happen way too often. Then when he tried to put touch on the pass, it's underthrown. They have got to devote more time to his mechanics.    I would've liked to see better blocking for JT. JT made some stuff happen, but he got stuffed quite often too. There are other runs beside up the middle there Steichen.    AR playing out of shotgun is getting old.    If Latu stays healthy, we got the steal of the draft.    I will say that if your O-line features Matt Pryor at guard, you're gonna have problems. 
    • Can't keep having your safety be leading tackler. We will also lose Cross to injury if the rest of the team can't learn how to tackle.    Especially Franklin    
    • I still think the inaccuracies and the sailing of his throws is masking the progress he's made as a QB. I think decision-making-wise and when it comes to reading the defense, he's on a very good trajectory. He looks like a QB who knows what he's doing, who knows where he needs to go with the ball. He probably needs to work on his timing with the receivers a bit and he needs to be a bit quicker with his decisions at times, but overall those are things a young QB will naturally get better at with time and experience.   Just take a moment and think about it - it feels like almost every single one of his worst looking throws are throws where he went through his progression, read the defense and made the right decision. Just the throws themselves were off. Some of them WAY OFF.    Now don't get me wrong, at some point he will need to start hitting those throws because at the end of the day what's the point of reading the defense and making the right decision if you sail the ball 5 yards over the receiver's head? If he doesn't get better at that, he will bust, because no team will have the patience for a vet QB who can't hit those type of throws with any consistency. I really hope the coaching staff is working with him on it and we see some progress by the end of the season.
  • Members

• Fluke_33

Fluke_33 5,098

• krunk

krunk 8,738

• 4daUColts

4daUColts 94

• lollygagger8

lollygagger8 5,602

• Smonroe

Smonroe 6,595

• Two_pound