Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clowney and/or Kpassagnon

7 hours ago, DownHillRunner said:

What would Clowney's role be on this defense? If you're going to ask him to be a defensive end/pass rusher he is not either of those. He didn't record ONE sack last season. I see Clowney as an interior run stopper who can get occasional pressure on the Quarterback and disrupt the run.

No hes an edge player primarily. Hed do well here. Injury is his problem. He really is a 4-3 DE whos played in 3-4 schemes most of his career

7 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Misfit toys don't play well....and it's only been two seasons removed from back-to-back 9 sack seasons.

I want to see him playing for the Colts with his hand in the dirt starting in Houston's spot.  I would bet he would get back to nine sacks and be a monster setting the edge. 

22 minutes ago, Scott Pennock said:

Misfit toys don't play well....and it's only been two seasons removed from back-to-back 9 sack seasons.

The overhype for this guy has always been impressive to me. Those back-to-back 9 sack years were the only years he has been worth anything. Dude is not worth the hype as a pass rusher. I would take Houston even being older because he has been way more productive. 

45 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

The overhype for this guy has always been impressive to me. Those back-to-back 9 sack years were the only years he has been worth anything. Dude is not worth the hype as a pass rusher. I would take Houston even being older because he has been way more productive. 

Like I told another poster, we are entitled to our opinions, we disagree and that is okay as that is what makes life great - the fact that we can agree to disagree but still be on the same page as a fan of the Colts!

I wouldnt want to depend on Clowney by himself but i think a tandem of Clowney and Houston is more than decent when combined with Buckner, Stewart and the rest of the young guys. Or i could just deal with us getting Houston and a draft pick(s).

Let's do our comparison with these guys, just like we did with the others

Tanoh Kpassagnon - Age 26, 6-7 289#

4 years experience, 0 pro bowls

Started 24 of 61 games, 7 total sacks (1.75 per year), 18 QB hits, 75 combined tackles, 12 for loss, 1 forced fumble

Jadeveon Clowney - Age 28, 6-5 255#

7 years experience, 3 pro bowls (2016, 2017, 2018)

Started 74 of 83 games, 32 total sacks (4.57 per year), 86 QB hits, 255 combined tackles, 75 for loss, 9 forced fumble

Justin Houston - Age 32, 6-3 270#

10 years experience, 4 pro bowls (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015), 1 all pro (2014)

Started 128 of 134 games, 97.5 total sacks (9.75 per year), 148 QB hits, 371 combined tackles, 117 for loss, 17 forced fumble

For my money, I think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  Houston may be on the back end of his career, and isn't as regularly productive, but I still think he's a better option than the other two.

6 hours ago, Scott Pennock said:

When he hit free agency in 2018 after 4.5, 6, 9.5 and 9 sack seasons as a good edge setter most folks on this board wanted him and thought he was a perfect fit for our attacking style defense. He was a star on the rise and he still could be given his skillset and the right defense - like ours. 

That may be funny to you and that is your opinion and that's fine, we are all entitled to our own opinions.

Sorry but he has never been a star. Never. He never lived  up to his draft position and has been hurt way too frequently. 

The data you cite was from 3 years ago - 3 years!  And those #’s were pedestrian at best.   

Let’s take a peak at his 2020 #s. 

8 games played (injured again)

0 sacks - not star stats even in half a season

Do you think his injuries are now the rule or the exception?

Tell me again what is appealing about the guy?

38 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Sorry but he has never been a star. Never. He never lived  up to his draft position and has been hurt way too frequently. 

The data you cite was from 3 years ago - 3 years!  And those #’s were pedestrian at best.   

Let’s take a peak at his 2020 #s. 

8 games played (injured again)

0 sacks - not star stats even in half a season

Do you think his injuries are now the rule or the exception?

Tell me again what is appealing about the guy?

I already stated you have your opinion and I have mine. Just accept that without trying to turn this into a 37 message debate.

Archived