Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post SB, Pre Pro Days Colts Mock Offseason

Can’t believe I’ve done so many of these already.  This one is built upon the premise that Ballard can’t pull a QB out of thin air, so he brings in the best cheap interim QB he can find. 

Re-sign: Carrie, Odum, Autry, Burton, Joey Hunt

Let Walk: Rhodes, Hooker, Hilton, Brissett, Mack, Walker, Muhammed, Clark, Green
Sign: Andy Dalton (QB, Cowboys), Roderick Johnson (OT, Texans), Romeo Okwara (DE, Lions)

Draft:

1) Trade down into the early 2nd, netting you an early 3rd.

2) Dillion Radunz, OT, N. Dakota St.  Looked great at the SB.  Only has 33 ¼“ arms, which is barely over the generally accepted minimum of 33“.  But there are others in the league, like Isaiah Wynn, who do just fine with similar length arms.  He looks ready to step in right away, but at least Roderick Johnson is a good swing tackle that can step in better than anyone we had behind Costanzo this year.

2) D’Wayne Eskridge, WR, Western Michigan.  SB stud, who seems like a T.Y. Hilton clone.  Interestingly, he’s known as a high-effort, bone-crushing run blocker at 5’9, 189 lbs.

3) Payton Turner, DE, Houston.  Long-armed, 270-Lb DE.  Ballard continues to add early picks to this critical position.

3) Davis Mills, QB, Stanford.  Scouting report reads a little like Kyle Trask or a 38-YO Phillip Rivers.  Very accurate short- to medium-range pocket passer, but little athleticism to extend plays or run the ball.

4) Pete Werner, LB, Ohio St.  Not a major need, but I like the idea of laddering LBs so we can easily replace those whose contracts expire.  The reason we can let Walker go is that we drafted Okereke when LB wasn’t a huge need.

5) Nashon Wright, CB, Oregon St.  6’4 CB that had a really productive shortened season.  I see Tell and Carrie competing for the starting spot opposite Ya-Sin, but I’d like another big, outside CB option.

6) Christian Uphoff, S, Illinois St.  Did well at the SB.  We could use more depth at the position, though I think that Odum and Milligan are decent options too.

7) Drew Dalman, C, Stanford.  One of the highest rated OL in the Pac-10, according to the analytics guys.

With Dalton under contract for two years, we can afford to see how the two young QBs develop, and make the switch when you think Eason or Mills is a better option.  It’s possible we’ve just kicked the can down the road and will need to bring in big FA or 1st round QB in the future, but 4th and 3rd rounders in successive drafts isn’t too big of an investment for the most important position on the field.

The only disagreement I have is within FA you let a lot leave and have nothing filling spots. I can’t see Ballard letting a CB go and not doing anything but drafting a 5th rounder. That would be a bad move.  

I could see him adding mid level guys but something like a CB, WR, maybe LB and bringing back Muhammad because he will be relatively cheap. That’s just me. I like the draft though. And I think Dalton would be fine as our QB. 

I have three concerns with your proposal:

1. You are letting TY go and not replacing him with another vet. Your alternative is putting all your cards in Campbell proving to be able to stay healthy, plus a small school rookie. This, when the WR corps truly needs an upgrade. Got to add a vet in FA under this scenario.

2. You let Rhodes, the team’s best CB, walk when the Colts need an upgrade at this position already. I would keep Rhodes.

3. No thanks on Dalton. He’s a big step backward for the team at the QB position. The Colts have to be able to do better than AD. And I’m talking about a VETERAN QB. That said, I have no problem with drafting another young QB to add to the mix. The more potential options long term, the better. 

Thanks for adding your hard work to the conversation. It’s appreciated, and I like your thinking on the draft. 

My thoughts at a couple of position:

CB - I really like Tell.  I thought he had a very promising rookie season.  I thought Carrie played pretty well this year, and I haven’t given up on Ya-Sin yet.  I even really like what little we saw out of Rodgers.  I think we’re okay at the position, and I don’t consider it a major concern.

WR - We have a lot of options at WR.  Pittman, Campbell, Pascal, Patmon, Harris, Dulin, and Fountain.  Add a dynamic 2nd rounder, and the group is really deep.  Not concerned.

QB- You can’t manufacture one.  Not sure what veteran we could get, besides Wentz...

8 hours ago, Archer said:

CB - I really like Tell.  I thought he had a very promising rookie season.  I thought Carrie played pretty well this year, and I haven’t given up on Ya-Sin yet.  I even really like what little we saw out of Rodgers.  I think we’re okay at the position, and I don’t consider it a major concern.

WR - We have a lot of options at WR.  Pittman, Campbell, Pascal, Patmon, Harris, Dulin, and Fountain.  Add a dynamic 2nd rounder, and the group is really deep.  Not concerned.

QB- You can’t manufacture one.  Not sure what veteran we could get, besides Wentz...

Regarding the CB position... if we don’t address the DE spot by either bringing guys back or getting better talent the. These guys will easily be exposed. Rhodes allowed you to basically cut the field in half and without that our zone will look yet again like a high school playing in the big leagues. 

20 hours ago, Archer said:

So, I get your thoughts, but:

1. Rhodes is, IMO, our best CB, and should be kept, not jettisoned. Its already a weak position, regardless if Tell proves to be a find. I agree with you about Tell, in that he has genuine promise, but its still a wish and a prayer until he shows it this next year. 

2. Campbell, Patmon, Dulin, Harris and Fountain? Lots of hope, with no record of performance. I REALLY don't want to go into the next season hoping that one of these guys shows up, because a team with the Colts' promise needs  more than that. You go out and get the players you need at this point. And the Colts need a top end WR.

3. The Colts have to have a quality QB. Dalton ain't it. I think they'll do much better than Andy D. 

Regardless of our hopes, its going to be a very interesting off season. I know we both hope for the best..... fingers crossed that Ballard finds the answers. 

Archived