Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rams Off-Season Financial Issues

According to OTC the Rams are projected to be in bad shape with -$31.279 million.  They have 17 current pending FAs needing to be resigned including 5 starters and 4 backups who played significate amount of snaps in 2020.  I don't get the talk about where Goff gets traded or cut and they go after Stafford.  If the Rams move on from Goff their cap space immediately gets worse losing another $31.279 million dropping them farther back to -$62.309 million.

Three of the Rams biggest named stars Goff as we mentioned they lose $30 million.  Donald if they release again lose around $8 million against the cap and Ramsey worse yet with $42.5 million.  Doubt any of these players would agree to forfeit their Pro-Rated Bonuses or in Goff's case possibly $2.5 million in roster bonus.  Still not going to get the Rams out of the red.  Looks like they have three players whom they could cut and save exactly $1.403 million each but doubt they cut their starting NT Joseph-Day or RG Corbett.  The only player they might cut is backup ILB Kenny Young which again saves them $1.403 against the cap clearly not enough to make it move in favor.

As for the Rams 17 pending free agents can only see 9 as top decisions makers for the team to decide on.

• Starting C Austin Blythe PFF 69.3 in 2020 should be due $5 million
  • Backup RB Malcolm Brown probably look to resign for 2.5-3 million
  • Starting WR Josh Reynolds should get a $7 million contract
  • Starting WLB Samson Ebukam could be due an extension for $2 million or can see him not get offered a renewal
  • Backup TE Gerald Everett potentially make $6 million in FA
  • Starting FS John Johnson III 2020 PFF grade of 85.6 should command $8.5 million if not more in FA
  • Starting LCB Troy Hill PFF 74.2 grade in 2020 is scheduled to make a big payday of $14 million.  He had 10 passes defended, 3 Ints, 1 FF and recovered 2 in 2020
  • Backup starter LCB Darious Williams RFA that went undrafted who PFF graded 80.0 in 2020 had 4 Ints and 14 passes defended could make $11 million but assume the team offers a 1st Round Tender of $4.873 million.
  • LDE Morgan Fox was a backup with a 2020 PFF grade of 59.1 who had 17 tackles and 6 sacks with 1 FF.

Just curious what kind of magicians the Rams are to change their team's fate and create a positive cash flow.  I think LCB Troy Hill walks and would be an interesting FA choice for a 29 year old that stands 5'11" 183 lbs and runs 4.55 for a team that can afford him at least $14 million contract.  The Colts might want to take a look at LDE Morgan Fox as a FA.  Fox would move from a 3-4 Defense to our 4-3 base but am liking the kids measurements 6'3" 275 lbs not sure of his speed.  Imagine Fox could hit the open market for around $4 million contract.  Guess am still on the fence as to what Ben Banogu can do for the Colts if we don't resign Houston which to me is a strong possibility.  Have seen what Turay could do and become if need be but need him to stay healthy.  One thing did notice is that both LCBs Troy Hill and Darious Williams went undrafted and turned into NFL stars.  Guess that's something to keep in mind on draft day and soon thereafter for those hidden overlooked stars.

If they restructure Donald, Ramsey, Kupp and Woods they get back into position cap space.

Around $4m in cap space after that.

They can release a few other cheaper guys and restructure a couple other smaller contract to secure more funds.

They will be fine.

Now they got Goff off their books, and Les Snead is a chip off the Dimitroff block, the last of a dying breed that takes a LOT of chances. If the Rams do not make the SB in the next 3 years, with no first round picks in 2021 (Ramsey), 2022 (Stafford) and 2023 (Stafford), Snead is gone because they are doubling down on their ability to get good 2nd and 3rd round picks and not stockpiling first rounders for replenishing talent.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Now they got Goff off their books, and Les Snead is a chip off the Dimitroff block, the last of a dying breed that takes a LOT of chances. If the Rams do not make the SB in the next 3 years, with no first round picks in 2021 (Ramsey), 2022 (Stafford) and 2023 (Stafford), Snead is gone because they are doubling down on their ability to get good 2nd and 3rd round picks and not stockpiling first rounders for replenishing talent.

People have been saying for years that the Rams r in trouble because they have no 1st round picks but they keep ticking along. They have been in win now mode for the last 7 years lol.

6 hours ago, chad72 said:

Honestly, if Geoff would have played like a #1 over all pick, they probably would have won multiple super bowls. Their GM is maybe the best in the game and he has guts. He prefers proven talent over picks. Look at the Ramsey trade. 2 1st round picks and Ramsey is now a top 5 defensive talent. Colts could have maybe been in on that trade. U imagine him on this team. Buckner and Ramsey....oh my...!!

53 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Honestly, if Geoff would have played like a #1 over all pick, they probably would have won multiple super bowls. Their GM is maybe the best in the game and he has guts. He prefers proven talent over picks. Look at the Ramsey trade. 2 1st round picks and Ramsey is now a top 5 defensive talent. Colts could have maybe been in on that trade. U imagine him on this team. Buckner and Ramsey....oh my...!!

Ramsey was traded October 2019

Buckner was traded March 2020

Basically we wouldn't be able to do both

Unless you are mean 21 1 and 22 1 for JR

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Giving up that much draft picks and money (salary cap issues) I don’t think it’s worth it for a shut down corner especially one that does a ton of smack talking.  I understand Ramsey his play can definitely backup his smack talk also.  But from what I’ve seen and heard the stuff he says I don’t care how good you are.  And the Rams defense is great is all because of that Beast they have in Donald not because of Ramsey.  He helps the defense get better overall but the guy that makes that defense tick is Donald.  Don’t forget we have a beast similar to Donald too BUCKNER.  IDC what people say that’s Donald is better etc..  I think Buckner is on same level as Donald.  

Jared Goff I don’t follow him much use to watch him play a lot during his days at California.  But I swear the ESPN people’s was always comparing Goff to Rodgers.  Same College and same play style.  Goff took them to the SB and had monster numbers for what 2 season straight under Mcvay.  Dude was injured had surgery rushed back and help beat Russel Wilson Pete Caroll and company in the playoffs.  Goff can’t be that bad people are gonna say the defense won that playoff Game for the Rams.  But Goff did help in that win too.  He didn’t just go 3 and out over and Over and then had a couple good drives to get long FGs and then the rams defense had todo the rest.  It wasn’t that type of a game.  So Not sure why Snead and Mcvay had such a big issue with Goff as the franchise QB.  I think If Goff regressed as what people and Ram’s Coaches and GM said or thought of him.   It then was all Mcvay’s fault.  I think his play calling offensively other team/coaches eventually caught on amd he didn’t know how to adjust and that in turn made Goff look horrible and that he was getting worse and not better.  Goff will shine again maybe not in Detroit but if he goes somewhere with a good/average team he will make them a lot better’

6 hours ago, IanColts22 said:

Giving up that much draft picks and money (salary cap issues) I don’t think it’s worth it for a shut down corner especially one that does a ton of smack talking.  I understand Ramsey his play can definitely backup his smack talk also.  But from what I’ve seen and heard the stuff he says I don’t care how good you are.  And the Rams defense is great is all because of that Beast they have in Donald not because of Ramsey.  He helps the defense get better overall but the guy that makes that defense tick is Donald.  Don’t forget we have a beast similar to Donald too BUCKNER.  IDC what people say that’s Donald is better etc..  I think Buckner is on same level as Donald.  

U discount the effect of a true shut down corner. 

9 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Ramsey was traded October 2019

Buckner was traded March 2020

Basically we wouldn't be able to do both

Unless you are mean 21 1 and 22 1 for JR

Sure....lol.  I was simply making a point that sime teams dont covet their picks. ME and the Rams come to mind. They prefer players who have performed in the league. Ballards best pick is probably Buckner. 

10 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sure....lol.  I was simply making a point that sime teams dont covet their picks. ME and the Rams come to mind. They prefer players who have performed in the league. Ballards best pick is probably Buckner. 

Buckner is an elite talent but I would say trading up for Taylor was brilliant knowing what happened to Mack.

Archived