Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2021 Draft Thoughts to Share....

Everything I'm going to say comes in the context that Covid has made everything more difficult.

So, it's my view that there will be more disagreements,  or,  put another way,  more lack of agreements in rating and ranking players.    And I don't just mean by you and me and everyone here on the website.    I'm talking about within in the NFL community.    There's always more disagreement in the NFL than people here realize.   I always stress the same thing:  32 teams,  32 different looking Big Boards of talent.    It's the ultimate beauty pageant and no one sees the same thing the same way. 

I think this will be more true than ever.

Look across college football.   Some conferences played 12 games,  some 10,  some 8, and some 6.    And the quality of football just wasn't very good.   Colleges, like the NFL, had very limited practice and that led to very soft football.   Covid changed everything.    What we will see on film this year,  just can't be compared easily to previous years.    I think there will be way, way more miss evaluations done by NFL scouts than ever before.    I think that favors teams like the Colts who have a well earned reputation for having a sharp eye for talent.

But as we post here for the next 3 months,  I think there's going to be great disagreements here.   More than usual.   This will be the most confusing year in draft history --- by far.

I just looked at all the restrictions the NFL has put in place for what teams CAN and can NOT do.   Good luck to them!   Evaluations are going to be so hard.

No combine is terrible for the draft.   It's hard to compare scores from one Pro Day to another.   Some schools have faster surfaces,  other schools, not so much.    Some schools do a better job of handling their pro day than others.    This year it's more important than ever because there's no combine.    How many times have we heard of the player who doesn't perform quite as well at the combine as he had hoped.   He still has his Pro Day to fall back on.    Not this year.   Your Pro Day is it.    One and done.    Perform well or else....

Bottom line:   Don't assume anything and don't be surprised by anything.   This is the year to expect the unexpected.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Everything I'm going to say comes in the context that Covid has made everything more difficult.

So, it's my view that there will be more disagreements,  or,  put another way,  more lack of agreements in rating and ranking players.    And I don't just mean by you and me and everyone here on the website.    I'm talking about within in the NFL community.    There's always more disagreement in the NFL than people here realize.   I always stress the same thing:  32 teams,  32 different looking Big Boards of talent.    It's the ultimate beauty pageant and no one sees the same thing the same way. 

I think this will be more true than ever.

Look across college football.   Some conferences played 12 games,  some 10,  some 8, and some 6.    And the quality of football just wasn't very good.   Colleges, like the NFL, had very limited practice and that led to very soft football.   Covid changed everything.    What we will see on film this year,  just can't be compared easily to previous years.    I think there will be way, way more miss evaluations done by NFL scouts than ever before.    I think that favors teams like the Colts who have a well earned reputation for having a sharp eye for talent.

But as we post here for the next 3 months,  I think there's going to be great disagreements here.   More than usual.   This will be the most confusing year in draft history --- by far.

I just looked at all the restrictions the NFL has put in place for what teams CAN and can NOT do.   Good luck to them!   Evaluations are going to be so hard.

No combine is terrible for the draft.   It's hard to compare scores from one Pro Day to another.   Some schools have faster surfaces,  other schools, not so much.    Some schools do a better job of handling their pro day than others.    This year it's more important than ever because there's no combine.    How many times have we heard of the player who doesn't perform quite as well at the combine as he had hoped.   He still has his Pro Day to fall back on.    Not this year.   Your Pro Day is it.    One and done.    Perform well or else....

Bottom line:   Don't assume anything and don't be surprised by anything.   This is the year to expect the unexpected.

It is no doubt going to be interesting, shocking, and entertaining in a nut shell. 

Archived