Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Request for an Andrew Walker article.

PrideOfAthens17

Andrew, I have a request for an article topic for you. I have been very impressed by the sheer volume of players, and many of them young players, on this team who have been both capable and prepared to step into roles, both as regular backups/situational players and as replacement starters when needed, and perform at very high levels. This speaks to both the abilities of management, scouting and coaches working together to find and sign these players, as well as coaches, conditioning/medical staff and players working together to develop and prepare these players to be able to do that. I can tell you, having followed multiple teams in this league for almost 50 years now, the ability to do this with as large a number of players as this Colts team has done so this year is extremely rare. Which brings me to my requested article topic.

I'd be very interested in reading as much information as you can gather about how they've been able to do this so successfully this year, from as many people as you can speak to about it. And there's one aspect of it in particular that I'm interested in. This league has seen tons of coaches over the decades who were career backup/situational players like Frank Reich. But very few of them have the ability to be able to have his future players actually put on the video of him not only coming into games and producing when needed, but doing so as often as Reich did in some very key moments at such a crucial position, and in some of the most memorable big games in league history. I'm curious if that unique background of his gives him any extra ability to get through to his players about developing, preparing and staying ready every single day for when they'll each be needed, and if so, how he goes about getting that through to his players.

Just a thought, but I can't help but wonder about what's involved with a guy who was so good at that as a player and is now coaching a team with as many guys as he has that also seem to be so good at it, as well. Thanks.

1 hour ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Andrew, I have a request for an article topic for you. I have been very impressed by the sheer volume of players, and many of them young players, on this team who have been both capable and prepared to step into roles, both as regular backups/situational players and as replacement starters when needed, and perform at very high levels. This speaks to both the abilities of management, scouting and coaches working together to find and sign these players, as well as coaches, conditioning/medical staff and players working together to develop and prepare these players to be able to do that. I can tell you, having followed multiple teams in this league for almost 50 years now, the ability to do this with as large a number of players as this Colts team has done so this year is extremely rare. Which brings me to my requested article topic.

I'd be very interested in reading as much information as you can gather about how they've been able to do this so successfully this year, from as many people as you can speak to about it. And there's one aspect of it in particular that I'm interested in. This league has seen tons of coaches over the decades who were career backup/situational players like Frank Reich. But very few of them have the ability to be able to have his future players actually put on the video of him not only coming into games and producing when needed, but doing so as often as Reich did in some very key moments at such a crucial position, and in some of the most memorable big games in league history. I'm curious if that unique background of his gives him any extra ability to get through to his players about developing, preparing and staying ready every single day for when they'll each be needed, and if so, how he goes about getting that through to his players.

Just a thought, but I can't help but wonder about what's involved with a guy who was so good at that as a player and is now coaching a team with as many guys as he has that also seem to be so good at it, as well. Thanks.

Terrific idea. To be honest, it can be tough to do super deep dives during the season, but I’ll definitely look into this for a solid article. Thanks for sending and thinking of me.

Archived