Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Julian Blackmon is for REAL

AustexColt

1 hour ago, Chucklez said:

Could be that Julian Blackmon didn't have many "stats" because his coverage was too good, so the QB didn't throw his way.... which is more impressive tbh. 

Not saying that is the case and i definitely havent done that analysis. Just a potential explanation.

IDK. He's only been targeted 3 times, and gave up 2 catches for 66.6%. 

Given he's a S, he's likely helping, more than in single coverage (on handoffs).

PFF thus far is 64.3 which is "backup" territory. That means nothing this early though.

Wilson though, who got about the half the snaps as Blackmon, grades out at 82.1 which is high starter (85 is pro bowl).

On 9/22/2020 at 10:26 PM, AustexColt said:

Julian Blackmon is a serious dude. For a rookie to step in with that much self confidence and key plays is a huge find for the Colts secondary. Having Blackmon and Willis in the secondary is going to be a huge upgrade from the past. He tackles really well and his closing speed is faster than most because of his instinct. Willis's interception was due to Blackmon closing speed and stepping in front of the WR to intercept the ball but resulted in a tip for Willis to intercept. There was a few 3rd down plays which Blackmon dislodged the ball due his timely hit.  For a first start is quite impressive.

After a couple game sample size I would agree.  To be honest, I like Carrie / Moore over Ya-Sin as well.  

On 9/28/2020 at 7:27 AM, EastStreet said:

That's kind of the thing though. He played half the snaps, so half the snap opportunity. Not really a great way to determine the opportunity he had in terms of teams passing or running at him. When the advanced stats come out, might be able to glean some factoids. 

Here's something I found that confirms similar to what I thought regarding "opportunities."

Matt Eberflus said S-Julian Blackmon had a ‘solid’ performance in the rookie’s first NFL start. Blackmon appeared to still be on a pitch count, playing 41 of the 64 defensive snaps (with veteran Tavon Wilson subbing for the other 23 snaps at free safety). The rookie wasn’t challenged much against the Jets with his primary responsibility being as a deep field safety. Blackmon finished with 1 tackle. Eberflus called Blackmon’s practice effort last week an ‘A+.’ That’s extremely high praise from Eberflus, considering the stringent effort standard the Colts defense practices with.

8 hours ago, dw49 said:

Here's something I found that confirms similar to what I thought regarding "opportunities."

Matt Eberflus said S-Julian Blackmon had a ‘solid’ performance in the rookie’s first NFL start. Blackmon appeared to still be on a pitch count, playing 41 of the 64 defensive snaps (with veteran Tavon Wilson subbing for the other 23 snaps at free safety). The rookie wasn’t challenged much against the Jets with his primary responsibility being as a deep field safety. Blackmon finished with 1 tackle. Eberflus called Blackmon’s practice effort last week an ‘A+.’ That’s extremely high praise from Eberflus, considering the stringent effort standard the Colts defense practices with.

Thanks. I read that. A bit too anecdotal for me. Not being pessimistic, and sounds good, just prefer substance.  Gonna take my weekly Wednesday night look at advanced stats later tonight, and should be able to understand better. I'm just guessing he wasn't targeted, and Wilson was. The thing is regardless, a FS isn't often targeted as they're generally helping and not in single coverage. Even Blackmon's PD/tip was him helping. Which is why Wilson's stats are impressive to me.

Archived