Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Quality of our secondary

I am not certain what to think of our secondary at this point, to completely ignore it on Day 2 of the draft. Here are some questions off the top of my head:

1. After letting Desir go, does anyone prefer to see Kenny Moore outside over the slot CB where he excels?

2. Do we think RYS and Tell are quality CBs that will excel on the outside against NFL wide outs?

3. Do we think Xavier Rhodes will re-discover his magic again?

4. Will Malik Hooker make more plays on the ball once we have a better rush inside with Buckner?

5. Can our safeties or nickel CBs keep up with the elite TEs in the league?

Thoughts?

1. After letting Desir go, does anyone prefer to see Kenny Moore outside over the slot CB where he excels?  I do not.  He is our prime slot CB and we should keep him there.  As we used to say forever ago at McDonald's:  Put the aces in their places.

2. Do we think RYS and Tell are quality CBs that will excel on the outside against NFL wide outs?  I think they are young CB's that still have some developing to do.  Ya-Sin has earned a starting role, but he still has a way to go to be a premier CB.  Tell has the ability to split duty between CB and S, and we should continue to cultivate that.

3. Do we think Xavier Rhodes will re-discover his magic again?  Yes, but only on a limited basis.  I think he will do well for a couple of years.  He's better than Desir, but only for a little while.

4. Will Malik Hooker make more plays on the ball once we have a better rush inside with Buckner?  I think so.  Or, more correctly, I hope so.  I want him to be successful.  We're giving him a better rush.  Let's see what he does with it.

5. Can our safeties or nickel CBs keep up with the elite TEs in the league?  I think the answer is no.  Not because they suck, but because if they could do it, then the TE's wouldn't be "elite", would they?  By definition, the elite TE's will beat even the best DB's most of the time.

Its hard to tell.  We've drafted so many DBs in the past few years, and we're still relying upon one year contract guys to man one of the starting corner positions, and 2 of the safeties are minimum FAs, with the starters still questionable.

Can't keep doing that. 

IMO, at this point we gotta just roll with it and see what develops.  Maybe making a decision on Hooker will solidify one of the positions. 

It certainly doesn't feel like a playoff caliber secondary right now, but you never know if things come together during the season.

Archived