Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building a team from the ground up

I apologize, but I had a bit of a "meh" response to the post on the other board that challenged your skills as a general manager... by picking the best players of all time for your team.  That's not GM work.  That's just picking your all-time HOF team.

SO!  You budding GM's -- Here is your opportunity.  You are the new GM of the Miami Dolphins.  You have an opportunity to build a team from the ground up.  What do you do?  Do you release your first year head coach and start from scratch?  Do you draft a QB early?  Or give Josh Rosen a chance to develop, while you pick other positions on your roster.

The cupboard is bare.

You have a potential 12 draft picks

3 first rounders (Dolphins, Steelers, Titans)

2 second rounders (Dolphins, Saints)

1* third round (Dolphins, plus a possible compensatory pick)

1* fifth round (Dolphins, plus a possible compensatory pick)

3 in the sixth and seventh round (pending compensation for player trades)

What do you do?

Who do you take?

What does your New Team look like?

Go!

Ok, since I've gotten 120-odd views but no responses, I'll take on the challenge myself.

First - Say goodbye to the entire coaching staff.  Everyone.  Who do I want for a head coach?  If Pittsburgh foolishly decides to part ways with Mike Tomlin, I'll grab him in a heartbeat.  I don't want a brilliant offensive game designer.  I want a Leader of Men.

Do I take a QB with my first pick?  Dunno.  I'm unsure about Tua Tagovailoa.  And there are much better high impact players to find.  So, let's give this a go (given the current rankings on DraftTek), and barring trades (which they ought to make):

D1a - Chase Young, DE, Ohio St

D1b - Andrew Thomas, T, Georgia

D1c - Johnathan Taylor, RB, Wisconsin (potential Heismann Trophy winner)

D2a - Tee Higgins, WR, Clemson

D2b - Brandon Jones, S, Texas

D3 - A.J. Terrell, CB, Clemson

No, I didn't draft a QB.  Do I give Josh Rosen a chance to put it all together?  Or do I bring in a free agent veteran like Andy Dalton, who can play, and is probably available?

In any case, here's what the team would look like after the draft.

QB - Josh Rosen (or Andy Dalton?)

RB - Johnathan Taylor (R)

WR - Devante Parker

WR - Tee Higgins (R)

TE - Mike Gesiki

TE - Durham Smythe

T - Andrew Thomas (R)

G - Michael Dieter

C - Daniel Kilgore

G - Evan Boehm

T - Isaiah Prince

DE - Taco Charlton

D3T - Christian Wilkins

D1T - John Jenkins

DE - Chase Young (R)

WLB - Jerome Baker

MLB - Raekwon McMillan

CB - Xavien Howard

CB - Cordrea Tankersley

CB - A.J. Terrell (R)

S - Reshad Jones

S - Brandon Jones (R)

Waddaya think?  Did I improve the team any?  Their 2021 draft is loaded, too.

So I'm just going to go through the draft choices(I dont even want to think about that roster). Picks based on the draft order before the MNF final, and taking players off the board based on the recent mock on Tankathon;

1a(2 overall) Young. This assumes Tua is gone, and I'm not ready to pull the trigger on Burrow at 2...yet

1b(10 overall) Grant Delpit. Amazing safety, and LSU pedigree for defensive backs is pretty good. 

1c(22 overall) Tyler Biadasz. Can play center or guard. 

2a(22 overall) Jacob Eason. He's had a few games in his career that are concerning, but he's got every tool available for a qb. 

2b (62 overall) Ben Brederson. Another interior offensive lineman. 

3  (66 overall) Bryce Hopkins. I've built a strong interior for my new qb, now I want to give him a ready made safety valve target in the Purdue tight end. 

• Like 2