Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why Arent The Colts Looking At Porter

Playoffs2013

Is he a cover 2 (zone) corner? Are we going to be needing DBs with that skill set?

Yes, we will need zone corners as well since Pagano plays a lot of zone with his safeties and nickel/dime corners on the inside. The outside CBs normally are man CBs. Tracy Porter, I have seen enough games recently where his tackling can be horrendous. He will do well vs teams that do not commit to the run that much but vs teams like the Texans, Raiders, or our other division teams, he can get washed out leading to injuries. I think it was in 2008, his rookie year, that he broke his hand. Then, in 2009, he missed several games due to injury (he and Greer) but came back just before the playoff run and had a phenomenal one. Again, we know how everyone missed tackles vs Marshawn Lynch in the Seahawks playoff game in 2010 and several times during the year, that had been a theme vs the Falcons & Bucs in 2010 that are run heavy. The missed tackles continued in 2011 since their DTs in the middle Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin did not pan out in their 4-3 and it fell on the LBs and DBs to take on the OLs and make the tackles again (sounds like a team we knew under Peyton :)).

When Peyton and Brees are on the offensive side, a lot of defensive deficiencies are overlooked, that has been the case with the Saints recently as well. Porter will be wanted to be treated at least like a mid-tier free agent CB with a $4-5 mil. per year average but I am afraid we dont have the money and in our run heavy division, he might not be the best bang for our buck.

I dont see tracy porter being in trouble for that bounty scandal, he wasnt really apart of it just so happened to be on the team. if he was apart of it their keeping it quiet. and there hasnt been reports of the colts talking or not talking to him so we dont know. they could have talked to him and he said no quickly because he dont want to be apart of the rebuilding process, not that i see why he would pick st.louis if that were the case.

so how does everyone feel about the possible fact that manning may NEVER come back to indy not even as a coach as tennessee has offered him a job even after he retires?

My point being...we already have players with that skill set.

I dont think we have explored what we have in Kevin Thomas and Chris Rucker to the full extent w.r.t man coverage. Powers, we know from year 1, that he can play man well enough. Besides, O-line and D-line are harder to get players in the draft to contribute right away, so better to invest free agent money for that. CBs, WRs, RBs are relatively easier to transition. That might be the thought process with Grigson, just guessing :).

I dont see tracy porter being in trouble for that bounty scandal, he wasnt really apart of it just so happened to be on the team. if he was apart of it their keeping it quiet.

Yeah well....it won't be quiet for long. Personally I like the fact that Goodell's pending decision is letting them all twist in the wind a little.

Anyway.... considering the NFL has found that 22-27 Saints players were involved... and assuming most of those players would be on defense where the bounties were orchestrated and paid... I'll be really surprised if Porter had nothing to do with it. Factoring simple math into a 53-man roster tells me that a large chunk of the defensive roster has dirt on them.

This won't be the sole reason we don't sign Porter.... if we in fact don't sign him.

But he's no Darrelle Revis ... so any kind of punishment that might be pending doesn't help him either. The Rams are about to probably go an entire season... hopefully longer... without Gregg Williams' corrupt services.

I bet Jeff Fisher feels just great about that.

Yeah well....it won't be quiet for long. Personally I like the fact that Goodell's pending decision is letting them all twist in the wind a little.

Anyway.... considering the NFL has found that 22-27 Saints players were involved... and assuming most of those players would be on defense where the bounties were orchestrated and paid... I'll be really surprised if Porter had nothing to do with it. Factoring simple math into a 53-man roster tells me that a large chunk of the defensive roster has dirt on them.

This won't be the sole reason we don't sign Porter.... if we in fact don't sign him.

But he's no Darrelle Revis ... so any kind of punishment that might be pending doesn't help him either. The Rams are about to probably go an entire season... hopefully longer... without Gregg Williams' corrupt services.

I bet Jeff Fisher feels just great about that.

wouldnt that mean the whole defensive team had something to do with it? you could be right, but i never figured porter to be a dirty player but who knows what drinking new orleans water could do to you.

wouldnt that mean the whole defensive team had something to do with it? you could be right, but i never figured porter to be a dirty player but who knows what drinking new orleans water could do to you.

Well it sure sounds like all or most of them and I guess all they had to do was kick money in and they're in varying degrees of trouble.... even if they weren't the guys making the injury attempts.

But 22-27 players is a LOT of guys assuming most of them that were involved would figure to be on defense.

And besides.... Drew Brees said he had no knowledge of the bounty program.

Now Drew wouldn't lie.... would he? lmao