Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Tom Rathman’s Influence

coltsfeva

The Colts have surrounded players with some difference makers within the coaching staff.

You can see Rathman’s influence on the run game.When I looked at his career numbers, two things stand out to me:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/6448/tom-rathman

1.  He fumbled ONCE in  544 career attempts   

2. His 3.7 yards a carry career average.was pretty good for a fullback.

He ran hard, blocked well and was a decent receiver. He opened holes for Roger Craig.(they said he blocked like a lineman).

I hope Spenser Ware (5’10” 229)or Williams (6’0” 223) can develop into something resembling Ratnman’s style or even be used as a fullback.

I know that’s not how the Colts do it but who knows?

• Like 2

I liked Rathman as a player but as a coach I think the jury is still out.  I think last year was his first year with us but he has coached before.  That said with our offensive line our running backs should have big years.  That is what coach is expecting.  I consider Rathman old school just like our coach.  They should be on the same page.  Hopefully he can deliver the running game coach is expecting.  Otherwise we can probably expect a change to be made after the season ends.

I thought Rathman had an excellent first year.

I think he has really brought thoughness to Mack's running game. He runs well between the tackles now, instead of usually bouncing to the outside. He has brought his game to the next level.

He did a nice job with Hines and Wilkins too, they both settled well at the pro level. Hines is going to be an important piece for this franchise over the next few years. A super talent in his own right.

• Like 1

One of my buddies was pretty high on him when we hired him. 

He's been coaching in the NFL for 20ish years. Always wondered how his previous teams produced, but never really did the research. Might have to pull some numbers. 

Last year he did a damn good job assuming it wasn't just dumb luck. Dealing with a bunch of young guys and a hurt RB1 early in the season. And loved how well NH did his rookie season. 

On 6/8/2019 at 2:59 PM, richard pallo said:

I liked Rathman as a player but as a coach I think the jury is still out.  I think last year was his first year with us but he has coached before.  That said with our offensive line our running backs should have big years.  That is what coach is expecting.  I consider Rathman old school just like our coach.  They should be on the same page.  Hopefully he can deliver the running game coach is expecting.  Otherwise we can probably expect a change to be made after the season ends.

You must wonder why he wasn't fired after year one to throw in that ____tty last sentence. lol