Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why no DT?

BProland85

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I also think the Colts are fairly deep at DT.  I think the idea of the Colts taking one came from it was the deepest position in the first round and a lot of people figured a really good one would be there in round one.

So who will play NT for this defense and do we have depth there? 

18 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I only see Hunt, Autry, Ward, and Lewis as decent DTs, 3 of which are undersized guys who don’t get much push. I wonder why Ballard didn’t bring in some help at our nose tackle spot. 

I posted this in another thread, but it might have to do with how much nickel we might be playing.

If our offense really takes off in the second year of Reichs' scheme, our opponents might spend most of the time playing from behind and trying to pass the ball.

So we might see a lot of NASCAR packages where Houston/Sheard/Lewis kick inside and Turay/Banogu/Green are rushing from the edge.

Just a few days ago, JMV said they're happy with the D-line rotation and really like Ward.  If he stays healthy, I do, too.

People forget, at one point, prior to getting injured Ward was a first rounder in many mocks.  

Just now, #12. said:

Just a few days ago, JMV said they're happy with the D-line rotation and really like Ward.  If he stays healthy, I do, too.

People forget, at one point, prior to getting injured, Ward was a first rounder in many mocks.  

I forgot about Ward but he played really well last year until he got hurt.

8 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

So who will play NT for this defense and do we have depth there? 

Your point/question is fully valid.  Last half of the year, when we were really humming we went with Autry and Hunt in the A gaps for our base look supplemented by G. Stewart at more traditional NT in rotation.   Doesn't seem like we have a ton of snaps for a base look traditional NT, but we'll need another player or two in camp to compete for that spot, and wait in the wings should Stewart go down. 

Lots of NFL experience on the street, cap casualties, waivers, etc to fill that void.  Doesn't look like it will ever be a traditional premium role as currently structured.