Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Building a Roster

Hark

It has become clear that the Colts front office has a clear style when it comes to building a roster. Any superstars on this team are going to be guys we draft, as they don't appear to be willing to shell out the necessary $ to bring in stars in free agency. They are looking to build a culture within the team that may allow them to sign their own guys for a "hometown discount" when that time comes (see Desir deal). Then, when the first wave of free agency ends, and many teams are tapped out, they step in and look at value guys who they see as a good fit for what they are building. I think I prefer the CB style, as it creates a deeper roster with less fall off when guys inevitably go down with injuries. 

It reminds me a little of being in a fantasy league with an auction draft. Some people employ a strategy of studs and duds, paying crazy prices for a few top players and then having to fill their roster with $1 guys at the end. Other people sit out the high priced players and build a roster of solid scorers from top to bottom. I have seen both strategies work, but there is definitely significantly less risk building a deep roster of solid players when the injury bug hits.

• Like 1