Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Clowney non exclusive franchise tag

I know we can only dream about this some could argue giving him a giant contract with our cap situation might be a better value than Ford, Houston or other pass rushers available. Would weaken our divisional foes and definitely give us a premier pass rusher in his prime. 

Any chance at this?

13 minutes ago, rayski said:

I know we can only dream about this some could argue giving him a giant contract with our cap situation might be a better value than Ford, Houston or other pass rushers available. Would weaken our divisional foes and definitely give us a premier pass rusher in his prime. 

Any chance at this?

HELL NO.  He's not worth TWO, TWO 1st round picks.  Let alone a giant contract on top of it.

10 minutes ago, csmopar said:

HELL NO.  He's not worth TWO, TWO 1st round picks.  Let alone a giant contract on top of it.

Not for a trade. Under non-exclusive franchise tag, teams are allowed to negotiate with a player, contract can be matched by Houston. 

Or Am I wrong about what non exclusive franchise tag mean? :thinking:

Allow me to correct myself, just read the whole FT wiki page, wasn't aware of the 2 firsts as a compensation coming from the Colts.

Scrap this then :lol:

12 minutes ago, rayski said:

Not for a trade. Under non-exclusive franchise tag, teams are allowed to negotiate with a player, contract can be matched by Houston. 

Or Am I wrong about what non exclusive franchise tag mean? :thinking:

Allow me to correct myself, just read the whole FT wiki page, wasn't aware of the 2 firsts as a compensation coming from the Colts.

Scrap this then :lol:

Non-exclusive means that he can negoitate with other teams, should Houston not match it and he sign with team X, they get TWO first rounders in return.

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/nfl-franchise-tags-exclusive-non-exclusive-explained-article-1.2985100

Ford got the same tag and the Chiefs are open to trading him.  Just because signing him under the tag could cost you two 1sts. doesn't mean you couldn't get him for less in a trade.  Every team situation is different.   That said I can't see the Texans trading him to the Colts that's for sure.  Now I just read a few minutes ago where Ford could possibly be obtained for a 2nd.  That's a price that could get Ballard's attention.  

• Nadine locked this topic