Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Archer’s Pre-Combine Mock

Decided to go veteran in the secondary to provide some leadership for our youngsters in the area.

FAs: 

Steven Nelson, CB, Chiefs

Rodney Gunter, DT, Cardinals

Inside FAs:

Glowinski & Vini already signed

Desir

Geathers

Draft:

1) Charles Omenihu, DE, Texas

2) Deebo Samuel, WR, S. Carolina

2) Khalen Saunders, DT, W. Illinois

3) Will Harris, S, Boston College

4) Trey Pipkins, OT, Sioux Falls

4) Jimmy Moreland, CB, James Madison

5) Joshua Miles, OL, Morgan St.

6) Darrin Hall, RB, Pittsburgh

7) Jeff Allison, LB, Fresno St.

Admittedly, I populate my mocks at this point in the year with risers who I’m projecting further rises...so, this’ll seem crappy to many...

• Like 4

Unless Omenihu destroys the combine, that would be a bummer of a first. He should be available with the Jets pick, easily. Love Deebo and Saunders tho, feel like those are great picks for what we're currently trying to do, and both fill major needs. Saunders is a gem, in my eyes, he looked good at the Senior Bowl. Deebo or AJ Brown or Marquise Brown would be ideal in Reich's quick hitting style, speedy guys with hands that can get open seemingly every play. I like it. Thanks man

• Like 1

It is a good draft but I agree with the Senior Bowl riser Omenihu unlikely to be our first pick. However, Turay, Leonard all did well at the Senior Bowl last year and Ballard has gone after raw measurables thus leading to picks that may seem like reaches at first but end up being good. So, Omenihu might fall along those lines.

Yeah, I thought people would feel that way about Omenihu at this point.  There have been a few of the well-known draftniks that have put him up in the 1st, or at least discussed it as a possibility...

Like this one:

Charles Omenihu is an absolute bull of a defensive lineman who raised his draft stock tremendously at this year's Senior Bowl. Named the Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year and first-team All-Big 12 by the AP and coaches, Charles tallied 9.5 sacks this past season and made 18 tackles for loss. One-on-one, Omenihu is a nightmare for any offensive lineman to deal with because of his long arms, which are violent and always active.

Omenihu has an electric first step and enough position versatility to play edge, but also kick inside if need be, as he rushed from a 3-technique position all the way out to a Wide-9 for Texas, and was successful at every spot. Charles leverages his hips and holds a firm edge, while natural strength enables him to squeeze gaps and find the football when defending against the run. If he impresses at the Combine, there is a glimmer of a chance Omenihu sneaks into RD1 consideration so the Panthers taking him at 47th overall could end up being a hell of a steal!  - Cody Lachney, Panthers Analyst

Or this one:

The first of two sleepers to sneak into Round 1, Omenihu is probably more likely to rise into the Round 2 range, but for kicks lets say he has a shot at the top 32. He should, given the fact he has better edge pass rush tools than Sweat while being just as good against the run, but it doesn’t sound like the NFL sees it that way just yet. A strong Combine on top of being a standout in Mobile could do wonders for Omenihu. - John Ledyard

1 hour ago, Archer said:

Yeah, I thought people would feel that way about Omenihu at this point.  There have been a few of the well-known draftniks that have put him up in the 1st, or at least discussed it as a possibility...

Like this one:

Charles Omenihu is an absolute bull of a defensive lineman who raised his draft stock tremendously at this year's Senior Bowl. Named the Big 12 Defensive Lineman of the Year and first-team All-Big 12 by the AP and coaches, Charles tallied 9.5 sacks this past season and made 18 tackles for loss. One-on-one, Omenihu is a nightmare for any offensive lineman to deal with because of his long arms, which are violent and always active.

Omenihu has an electric first step and enough position versatility to play edge, but also kick inside if need be, as he rushed from a 3-technique position all the way out to a Wide-9 for Texas, and was successful at every spot. Charles leverages his hips and holds a firm edge, while natural strength enables him to squeeze gaps and find the football when defending against the run. If he impresses at the Combine, there is a glimmer of a chance Omenihu sneaks into RD1 consideration so the Panthers taking him at 47th overall could end up being a hell of a steal!  - Cody Lachney, Panthers Analyst

Or this one:

The first of two sleepers to sneak into Round 1, Omenihu is probably more likely to rise into the Round 2 range, but for kicks lets say he has a shot at the top 32. He should, given the fact he has better edge pass rush tools than Sweat while being just as good against the run, but it doesn’t sound like the NFL sees it that way just yet. A strong Combine on top of being a standout in Mobile could do wonders for Omenihu. - John Ledyard

Both of those quotes say he's likely to rise into the 2nd round range, you took him with our 1st?

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s a lot of small school players there.A little risky if you ask me.

That was my thought as well when seeing the list. Not that the OP is right or wrong but smaller school guys would really have to be beasts in their league and add some footage against some elite college teams they may have played to be able to properly evaluate as top 3-4 round picks for me. Lots of risks sometimes will bring great rewards, we need a second draft in a row of absolute hits imho.