Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A interesting article in NY Times

LJpalmbeacher2

The Saints got screwed, but I kinda resent the New York Times trying to tell me I need to feel the same about the other two contests.

It's too easy to make something seem like an abomination, so easy to get caught up in their hysteria, but I'd rather take each circumstance on it's own merit, and make my own judgement.

I can be as cynical as the next guy, but try to weed out the peer pressure of it all.

• Like 1

Complete load of crap. 

I understand that the Saints got screwed on one play. I get that. It had nothing to do with Brees throwing a pick in OT though. The Saints could have easily won that game despite the bad call. I get it, but stop crying about it. 

And the Patriots-Chiefs game getting lumped in with this garbage is absolute nonsense. The roughing the passer call on KC was terrible. Not a penalty. But in an equally as egregious manner, the Chiefs got away with a major penalty (offensive PI) on a 2nd down play (same as the Patriots) on a 4th quarter drive on a long completion to Watkins.

So, each team benefited from a late-game call or non-call.  

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I've been thinking about this for a while.  Why is it that the other teams can run against us with abandon?  Is it our defensive scheme?  Or is it our personnel? I propose that it's both.   Here's what I mean.  In the base Cover-3 scheme, the corners turn and run, setting up the 3-deep zones.  The outside linebackers cover the zones in the flats.  This sets up the middle linebacker and the strong safety to make all of the tackles.  Now, if the offense uses multiple receivers, the defense has to take a linebacker off of the field and replace him with another defensive back.  This means that, if the remaining linebackers continue to have their zone responsibility, it leaves no middle linebacker to make the tackles.  It falls to the safety to do it all.  is it any wonder that Nick Cross is leading the league in tackles?  Of course he is.   So, how is this working?  Or, rather, how is it not working?  Something I've noticed is that the majority of the successful runs come against the weak side.  Who is playing weak side defensive end?  Either Tyquan Lewis or Laitu Latu.  We already know that Latu is far better at rushing the passer than defending the run.  It's no surprise that he is not yet capable to seal the edge.  Tyquan Lewis has been a backup his entire career for a reason.  He's one of the toughest guys around.  Just not the most talented.  You want a guy you can stick in the line and feel ok about it.  But he's not starter material. Thus, on offense, you have your weak side receiver run a short route on his side, keeping the linebacker on that side busy, and you run against the defensive end that can't seal the edge.  Result?  8 yards.  Easy.  Every time.  If the Colts never change their scheme, this will work.  Against this scheme and personnel.   Now -- how do we deal with this?  I propose that we run either Cover-2 or even a Bear defense on first down.  Regardless of offensive formation, or how many receivers are on the field.  Make sure that there are three linebackers on the field, and that the weak side 'backer is free to make the tackle.  Limit any first down run to 2 yards or less.  Sell out on this.  Put the offense into long yardage in the later downs.  As Gus said, earn the right to rush the passer.   What I would do is line up with all three linebackers, a single high safety, and Kenny Moore to cover the extra receiver.  Make sure that third linebacker is specifically over the defensive end.  Shut that lane down.  Make the offense do something else to beat you.   Anyway, that's my suggestion.  I'm not a defensive expert.  I sit in the cheap seats.  But that's how I see it.
    • Very concerned. You are off to a great start. Thanks for participating this year. I love the competition and in this thread we can trash talk and have fun with it. This gets my mind off things when the Colts lose. 
    • You are correct to be concerned about me.  Always be concerned about me.  Always.
    • Ahhh... the "great" EJ Speed from powerhouse Tarleton State!!! Another of Ballard's not good enough draftees. The two time SECOND team Division ll All - Lone Star Conference (LSC) player needs to pull that thumb and say hello to the reflection in the mirror instead of pointing his finger at the current lackluster version on our offense that has its own problems right now. Speed is one example of why this team has been stuck in mediocrity or below under Ballard's 8 yr reign because EJ is a starter that's not a difference maker. He's solid for his position but his limitations IMO land him on the serviceable tier.   Ballard's love for "his" mostly overall JAG type players has led to the continued wash and repeat fomula of doubling down with the resigning those said players (including the not so good at his job dc) for a team that guess what? Missed the playoffs again while having the luxury of nearly a last place schedule a season ago. This defense seems to always be what the doctor ordered for opposing qbs that have some type of issue coming in whether it's a backup, rookie or vet that's been struggling at the time. Hope I'm wrong but I think CW will finally have his coming out party and the Colts lose a close one to the Bears keeping the shoe winless but hey, "In Ballard we trust."
  • Members