Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Detailed video of Luck's throwing motion change.

Lawrence Owen

49 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Found this on Youtube.  Didn't know if anyone else has done one, or posted one.  Figured i'd share for those who'd like to know.

Thanks for posting.

Just a disclaimer (and this is not a shot at you at all, OP): This guy narrating the video doesn't seem to know what he's talking about with respect to analyzing throwing motions.

We get vague descriptions of what his body is doing instead of a detailed description of the changes in mechanics and what those changes mean for both performance and health. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Thanks for posting.

Just a disclaimer (and this is not a shot at you at all, OP): This guy narrating the video doesn't seem to know what he's talking about with respect to analyzing throwing motions.

We get vague descriptions of what his body is doing instead of a detailed description of the changes in mechanics and what those changes mean for both performance and health. 

Basically what i gather from it is Luck is using a lot more elbow in his motion rather than hips/shoulder.  This does allow for a slightly quicker release, but less power.  And he is timing his hip twist with his forward lean and release better.  This puts some power back into it.

24 minutes ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Basically what i gather from it is Luck is using a lot more elbow in his motion rather than hips/shoulder.  This does allow for a slightly quicker release, but less power.  And he is timing his hip twist with his forward lean and release better.  This puts some power back into it.

Which is what led me to my comment above.

Luck worked with Tom House this off-season.  The entire purpose was to help Luck use more of his lower body and less of his elbow/shoulder/arm in order to get more power on throws and take stress off of his surgically repaired shoulder.

This guy is basically suggesting that Luck is doing the opposite to what he was trained to do with House.  Which I'm not seeing with my eyes when watching the tape. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Which is what led me to my comment above.

Luck worked with Tom House this off-season.  The entire purpose was to help Luck use more of his lower body and less of his elbow/shoulder/arm in order to get more power on throws and take stress off of his surgically repaired shoulder.

This guy is basically suggesting that Luck is doing the opposite to what he was trained to do with House.  Which I'm not seeing with my eyes when watching the tape. 

He is releasing at his step rather than just after, His hip twist is timed with his step rather than just after. which gives power.  And more elbow means less stress on the shoulder.  Believe it or not, Elbow and wrist are more intertwined than elbow and shoulder.  I found this out when i had to go through therapy when i tore all my tendons around my elbow. while going through therapy, i had to wear a wrist brace to keep my wrist from turning/twisting.  I was told to use my shoulder more to alleviate stress on my elbow tendons.

7 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

He is releasing at his step rather than just after, His hip twist is timed with his step rather than just after. which gives power.  And more elbow means less stress on the shoulder.  Believe it or not, Elbow and wrist are more intertwined than elbow and shoulder.  I found this out when i had to go through therapy when i tore all my tendons around my elbow. while going through therapy, i had to wear a wrist brace to keep my wrist from turning/twisting.  I was told to use my shoulder more to alleviate stress on my elbow tendons.

How's your elbow doing now?  Hope you had a full recovery!

1 hour ago, zibby43 said:

How's your elbow doing now?  Hope you had a full recovery!

Yeah, this happened 3 years ago when i was a loader for a distribution warehouse.  It was awful.  It would catch and click/snap like rubber bands in and around my elbow no matter how i would move my wrist or bend my elbow. Minor surgery, and 3 months of physical therapy to strengthen it back up, and it is better than it was before it happened. Thanks for asking ^^

2 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Yeah, this happened 3 years ago when i was a loader for a distribution warehouse.  It was awful.  It would catch and click/snap like rubber bands in and around my elbow no matter how i would move my wrist or bend my elbow. Minor surgery, and 3 months of physical therapy to strengthen it back up, and it is better than it was before it happened. Thanks for asking ^^

Ouch; that sounds painful.  Orthopedic injuries are no joke.  Especially if you have a physically demanding job.  Glad you're back to full strength bro!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Lawrence Owen said:

Found this on Youtube.  Didn't know if anyone else has done one, or posted one.  Figured i'd share for those who'd like to know.

It's fairly impossible to suggest, based off two throws, that this is anything but coincidence.  You'd have to look at many throws to show a trend or meaningful change in his motion.  I would say there's a hands to the face penalty happening in the Lions game that should bring that pick back