Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Looks like the defense has regressed back to normal

Yoshinator

18 hours ago, Finball said:

I haven't seen the secondary play in detail either but the little I can tell from broadcasts, we usually play soft zone and with two deep safeties. So cover 2, 4 or 6 or some kind of mix of those.

Cover 2 doesn't ask much from a corner. Least of pretty much any coverage. I think that's why Ballard wants it, doesn't make much sense to invest in cover 2 corners when those can be found at 7-eleven (quoting Mike Zimmer) and instead invest the most resources at trenches on both sides of the ball and LBs. In theory, I agree with that philosphy.

It's just too easy to get Yards against co cover 2 these days if the QB throwing the ball is good. And our corners can't seem to play well other zones or man, the latter which is an issue for zone corners and an issue for teams that don't invest in corners.

That was my feeling to.  The DBs don't have to be as talented, in a broad statement, as a comparable press man 34.  That's how Polian and Dungy used to describe the benefits of  his zone cover 2 when trying to manage an entire roster.  Our recent 34 was just too expensive to get it right.  The 43 zone allows us to invest more talent, high draft picks and money, into the trenches and the pass rush. 

Maybe that means we won't be able to build a monster, but settle for a bend no break defense and win games by Luck and Reich's offense.  

I think a 3-Tech pass rusher would be extremely valuable to us, and I would prefer that over the traditional edge rusher to combat the quick hitting offenses that seem to be successful

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

That was my feeling to.  The DBs don't have to be as talented, in a broad statement, as a comparable press man 34.  That's how Polian and Dungy used to describe the benefits of  his zone cover 2 when trying to manage an entire roster.  Our recent 34 was just too expensive to get it right.  The 43 zone allows us to invest more talent, high draft picks and money, into the trenches and the pass rush. 

Maybe that means we won't be able to build a monster, but settle for a bend no break defense and win games by Luck and Reich's offense.  

I think a 3-Tech pass rusher would be extremely valuable to us, and I would prefer that over the traditional edge rusher to combat the quick hitting offenses that seem to be successful

I agree, 3 tech is the biggest need on this team (over CB, WR2, edge or whatever). Could also use DT who can lineup as 1 tech and push the pocket and win 1on1s if teams double the other DT. We have good NTs and enough guys who can rush the passer from interior but none of them are really good at both.

Grady Jarrett is projected to be FA. He's short and wins with leverage, quickness and strength. Can rush the passer and defend the run as 1-gap penetrator. He has played both 1 and 3 tech. I'd throw a bank at him if he hits FA.

22 hours ago, Finball said:

I agree, 3 tech is the biggest need on this team (over CB, WR2, edge or whatever). Could also use DT who can lineup as 1 tech and push the pocket and win 1on1s if teams double the other DT. We have good NTs and enough guys who can rush the passer from interior but none of them are really good at both.

Grady Jarrett is projected to be FA. He's short and wins with leverage, quickness and strength. Can rush the passer and defend the run as 1-gap penetrator. He has played both 1 and 3 tech. I'd throw a bank at him if he hits FA.

Agreed.  I was disappointed that we didn't give Henry Anderson a shot at playing 3 tech.  When he was here, he always seemed to get some push into the pocket.  It was never enough to get a sack, but it was disruptive, IMO.   I know he didn't line up at 3 but more at 5, and maybe the thought was there was just no way he would be successful at 3, but I would have liked to have seen him try.  He slimmed down and lighten up quite a bit before he got traded.

On 11/12/2018 at 1:33 PM, rockywoj said:

Basically, as I see it, the Colts are in need of 2 elite CBs and an elite SS.  Ergo, the secondary is 3 players short of becoming formidable.

As a whole, I think the defense needs to add 3 DBs, another LB, and another elite DLineman.

These additions fit the need for 20 of the 32 teams in the NFL my friend. Not easy to find but a good scheme and coaching can help cover up deficiencies.